[comp.sys.amiga] A new VIRUS ...

olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) (09/19/89)

A few days ago, I begin software installation on my hard disk
for A500. After several days, I got my first READ/WRITE error on
the hard disk. I did'nt focus my attention on that, thinking it
was a temporary system problem or something like that.
And I got more and more READ/WRITE error each time I open
a folder, show a text file, or run an executable. Sometimes, even,
I got Software Error obliging me to reboot the system.

What is not funny with all that, is that each time it seems that I
loose complete directory. "it seems" because after a reboot I got
the directory that I loose but I loose another one!
My hard disk has become completely unusable, I cannot do something
without getting a READ/WRITE error!

So I tried to look block on my hard disks and it appears that most
ckecksum are corrupted. Then I looked in the C directory, to check
lenght of most executables: It seems Ok. I checked contents of executable
with 'diff' on original sources, no problems.
I did the same with disk device, and handlers : nothing

SO WHAT !!!
Where is this stupid virus ?

I really appreciate any idea or suggestion ?

Olivier BORDES
olivier@hpgnd.hp.com

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (09/23/89)

In article <1700002@hpgnd.HP.COM>, olivier@hpgnd.HP.COM (Olivier BORDES) writes:
> A few days ago, I begin software installation on my hard disk
[.......]
> What is not funny with all that, is that each time it seems that I
> loose complete directory. "it seems" because after a reboot I got
> the directory that I loose but I loose another one!
> My hard disk has become completely unusable, I cannot do something
> without getting a READ/WRITE error!
[.......]
> Where is this stupid virus ?
>
> I really appreciate any idea or suggestion ?
>
> Olivier BORDES
> olivier@hpgnd.hp.com

I don't know how to tell you this, but it's not necessarily a virus.  For
example, I had a problem with my setup for a while where I would get the
same kinds of symptoms.  The Random Read/Write errors which disappear upon
reboot.  The occasional Software Error as well.  However, it turned out that
the source of my problem was the fact that the body of my controller
(Comspec A1000) was shorting against the board or some componants.  When I
rearranged the physical set-up of my floppy (which was pressing against the
controller for lack of space) the errors went away never to be seen again!

It may still turn out to be a virus, but I'd check more mundane sources for
the problem as well.

--
Mark Vange				Phone Death Threats to:
PAS Systems - "Plain and Simple"	(416) 730-1352  mark@xrtll