[comp.sys.amiga] Transformer and the A2000

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (09/21/89)

Sorry to rehash what I think is probably an old question, but ...
Is there a way to make Transformer (1.2) work on an A2000?? Specificly
one with the original (small function key) keyboard.  It loads and
boots OK but the keyboard locks up at the first DOS prompt. Oddly enough
it DOES accept the RETURN required to get the thing to boot in the
first place.

Second (but related) question. Does anyone know what might cause
Transformer to refuse to read from a 1020 drive that seems to work fine
in all other respects?? (I.E. it will MOUNT as an Amiga file system
device and will run the PCUtilities fine. It just refuses to run
Transformer.)  Another (homebrew, not 1020) drive on the same machine
with the same copy of transformer works just fine.  I realize this is
a pretty vague and general question, but I offer it in the hope that
someone may have been down this road before....

    Scott Denham
     Houston, TX

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee) (09/23/89)

In article <4184@sugar.hackercorp.com> ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:

>Sorry to rehash what I think is probably an old question, but ...
>Is there a way to make Transformer (1.2) work on an A2000?? Specificly
>one with the original (small function key) keyboard.  It loads and
>boots OK but the keyboard locks up at the first DOS prompt. Oddly enough
>it DOES accept the RETURN required to get the thing to boot in the
>first place.

I have a Rev 4.2 A2000 also with the small-function-key keyboard (made
by Cherry.)  After some poking around, I found that under Transformer the
acknowledge pulse from the computer in the keyboard handshaking was too
narrow for the Cherry keyboard to catch, but the newer wide-function-key
keyboard handled it just fine.  I posted a hardware fix (a small board you
mounted inside the keyboard) to the net last fall.  If there's interest,
I'll repost (should I send it to comp.binaries.amiga or comp.sources.amiga
instead?)  If not and you want it, I'll just e-mail it to you.

There's a small difference in the symptoms, though.  In my case, the
keyboard locked up before I could hit Return to boot.  I didn't even
get to the DOS prompt.  To verify that the problem you have is the same
as mine, use a logic probe or oscilloscope and watch the KDAT line from
the keyboard.  It should pulse when the computer is resetting, but after
that it should pulse only when a key is pressed or released.  Once
Transformer is running, if the keyboard locks up and KDAT pulses
continuously then you have the same problem.

>Second (but related) question. Does anyone know what might cause
>Transformer to refuse to read from a 1020 drive that seems to work fine
>in all other respects?? (I.E. it will MOUNT as an Amiga file system
>device and will run the PCUtilities fine. It just refuses to run
>Transformer.)  Another (homebrew, not 1020) drive on the same machine
>with the same copy of transformer works just fine.  I realize this is
>a pretty vague and general question, but I offer it in the hope that
>someone may have been down this road before....

My homebrew drive had this problem (OK in AmigaDOS and PCUtils but no good
under Transformer), but it was caused by my circuit asserting /RDY whenever
the drive was selected.  I removed that and now it works just dandy.  I
have no idea why the your 1020 drive has the same symptoms (I can't believe
a Commodore drive would have a similar design flaw.)

>    Scott Denham
>     Houston, TX

Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.