[comp.sys.amiga] Virus protection

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (09/23/89)

Our site has been down a week do to HW failure so this may sound late....

In  Article 19203 of 19224, Sun 04:53. From: a3@mindlink.UUCP
   (Dave Allen) writes:
> Many thanks to Erick Parsons for his protection scheme on the C: directory. I
> grabbed it with Snipit and put it right in my alternate CLI and it worked like
> a charm. I would recommend it!
>
> Here it is again for those that missed it.
>
> cd c:
> list > ram:temp lformat "protect %S -wd"
> execute ram:temp

Actually, WB1.3 gaves us a more elegant and easier method of creating "wildcard
scripts."  If you look in the WB1.3 S: directory you will find some useful
scripts called SPAT (does wildcards for single argument commands) and DPAT (does
widlcards for double argument commands).  I imagine DPAT stands for
Double-PATtern and SPAT stands for Single-PATtern?

SPAT/DPAT automatically builds a small script file (with list lformat) using
your wildcards and applies the given argument(s) to any command.

    EXECUTE SPAT protect c:#? -wd

or you could just set the SPAT or DPAT scripts' s bit and type

    SPAT protect c:#? -wd

In fact, I used to include this alias in my shell-startup fil:

     alias pro execute s:spat protect []
                                          (the shell will recognize "PRO" and
                                           will EXECUTE S:SPAT PROTECT ARG)
Now, anytime I typed

     PRO wildcard argument-for-protect
or   PRO c:#? -wd

I would have my entire C: directory's protection bits twidled off.
This is even more powerful than the 3 line script that you recommended.

As the ultimate fix-  use ARP1.3.  ARP's PROTECT provides wildcarding.

Hope this helps.

> RSI-where WEDGES come from  |||   Please note our new Address and Phone
> and VCR Streamer Soon Too...|X|   Number .....
> 1695 West 7th Ave           |||          Old Name: Dave Allen
> Vancouver  B.C. Canada      |||///   New Phone Number: (604) 737-7930
> V6J 1S4                     |||//
>            UseNet - uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Dave_Allen
>                or - Dave_Allen@mindlink.UUCP
>                              V/

Hope this comes in handy.
--
Joel E. Swan                                   swan@jolnet
Media Specialties Ltd.  &                      PLINK: Amiga*Joel