[comp.sys.amiga] Intel Inboard386AT installed on a A2000 with AT Bridge

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (09/23/89)

The subject should make it fairly clear what I'm looking for....

can anyone confirm the functionality of the Inboard in a A2000...

I've already confirmed with SCO that SCO Unix will work on it...
now i need the second half of the equation...

Please email answers to addresses below...

If you cannot confirm that that particular board will function in an
A2000 with the AT bridge, please inform me of ANY card that WILL
provide the functionality of a 386 in the A2000 with either bridge card.

thank you very much...

JpC
Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP
Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.

Heisenberg might have been here...

mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) (09/24/89)

In article <8909230609.AA18236@jade.berkeley.edu>, CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:

> The subject should make it fairly clear what I'm looking for....
>
> can anyone confirm the functionality of the Inboard in a A2000...
>
> I've already confirmed with SCO that SCO Unix will work on it...
> If you cannot confirm that that particular board will function in an
> A2000 with the AT bridge, please inform me of ANY card that WILL
> provide the functionality of a 386 in the A2000 with either bridge card.
>
> thank you very much...

> Jonathan P. Crone    CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET      cronejp@mcl.UUCP
> Amiga-L@uregina1.bitnet List moderator.
>
> Heisenberg might have been here...

The Intel PC 386 Inboard will not work in the Amiga 2000. One reason is
that it requires you to remove memory on a PC to 256k. It is designed to
work only with 8088, hence it will not work with AT Bridgeboard. I tried
to use one with my PC Bridgeboard and I had to disable 256k of the
Bridgeboard memory. It did not work and it toasted my GVP Harddrive and
controller card. I resoldered the removed bank of mem chips in my
Bridgeboard, and everything but my Harddrive worked fine. I had tried
a SOTA 386i board in my setup and it worked great. I had borrowed the
SOTA board and was quite impressed with its performance. This SOTA board
can be enhanced with 32 bit memory and will make your Bridgeboard 386
equivalent. The only reason I even tried the Intel Board was that it was
on sale with 1 meg of memory t a great price and I thought it would at
least work s great as the SOT board. It as I mentioned a total disaster
and I do not recommend it. I do intend to buy the SOTA 386i board as
soon as I can find a place that has it for sale at a good price.

				Matt Hetman