[comp.sys.amiga] A minor point

In <1989Sep18.090550.2459@agate.berkeley.edu>, pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:
>What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
>was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
>was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer that ever
>existed."  He was sure that they were simply "advertising type"
>illustrations pasted on.

That really strikes home. Many years ago, our computer club (Vancouver PET
User's Group) managed to get a booth at the Pacific National Exhibition. We had
quite a spread, featuring games, applications, a shared floppy drive with
homebuilt hardware, and a lot of expertise ready for the questions. We also
scheduled demonstrations of various aspects of the PET and announced the demos
via a large sign.

I was handling a demonstration of music, and gathered a pretty good crowd while
I demoed the primitive single-voice, square-wave sound, the composition tools
(all PD), for same, and so on. However, I finally plugged in the homebuilt R2R
ladder D/A convertor, and started up '76 Trombones' in 4 voices, an amazing
piece of programming for that time.  That seemed to signal the end of the
interest of the crowd, and most of them walked away at that point.  A few
stayed back and asked if I was playing it directly from audiotape.  Opening the
tape unit, I showed that it was empty.  A few looked behind the machine, and
pronounced that the sound had to be coming from something audio oriented
somewhere.  The one person who believed what I was saying, stayed and chatted
about it for a while.  Turned out he was an Apple user who wanted to do the
same thing.  To the rest, the music just wasn't 'computerish' enough to be
'real'.  It's sad.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) (09/18/89)

Watching Siskel and Ebert this evening, I was amused to note that one of the
movies they reviewed ("The Rachel Papers") apparently features an Amiga
center stage.  (The kid protagonist uses it to plot his dating adventures..)
They didn't like it much, by the way.

What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer that ever
existed."  He was sure that they were simply "advertising type"
illustrations pasted on.

Well, the clip they showed was probably less than five seconds, so it was
hard to tell positively, but to me it looked like typical Amiga output
(probably for FX purposes from TVText, Video Titler or one of that ilk).

Ain't it sad that the Amiga is still so far ahead of anything else in the
area of visual impact that Joe (or Roger) in the street still doesn't
believe it when he sees it!

					-- Pete --

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (09/20/89)

In article <766@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1989Sep18.090550.2459@agate.berkeley.edu>, pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:
>>What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
>>was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
>>was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer that ever
>>existed."

>That really strikes home. Many years ago, our computer club (Vancouver PET
[...]
>             To the rest, the music just wasn't 'computerish' enough to be
>'real'.  It's sad.

A couple of months ago I had to go buy an answering machine for my
wife. I generally detest answering machines, so it was hard to
accept. You see I figure that if I wanted to talk to a machine, it
ought to sound like a machine. So I proceeded to use SPEAK: etc. to
record the answering message.

When I finished, I had a message which sounded quite reasonable, but
still sounded like a machine. The message simply affirmed our telephone
number etc. - no name was mentioned. I was satisfied.

Well, it was too good. Seems that people didn't recognize either of our
voices, so they would hang up only to call back later when we were home
and ask "Who was that on your answering machine?"; never leaving a
message. When told it was my Amiga computer, it never registered on any
of them what I had done. Even after further explaination, it still drew
a blank.

My wife recorded a new message.

No sense of humor :^)

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (09/20/89)

In article <21421@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>When I finished, I had a message which sounded quite reasonable, but
>still sounded like a machine. The message simply affirmed our telephone
>number etc. - no name was mentioned. I was satisfied.
>
>Well, it was too good.

I used to have SAY put an announcement on the answering machine
that began:

  Greetings, life form..

People seemed to like it.  Of course, I modified the parameters so
it really sounded machine/alien like.

Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (09/20/89)

In article <21421@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>[about answering message...]
>When I finished, I had a message which sounded quite reasonable, but
>still sounded like a machine. The message simply affirmed our telephone
>number etc. - no name was mentioned. I was satisfied.

You did the right thing (perhaps for the wrong reason).  NEVER give
out any information on the answering machine other than your phone
number (so the caller can verify) and an instruction to leave a message.
Don't include your name in the message.  Your friends will catch on
real quick.

My machine simply says:

"You have reached ###-####.  Please leave a message and someone
will get back to you *beep*"

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

srt@aerospace.aero.org (Scott "TCB" Turner) (09/21/89)

In article <1989Sep18.090550.2459@agate.berkeley.edu> pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:

>Watching Siskel and Ebert this evening, I was amused to note that one of the
>movies they reviewed ("The Rachel Papers") apparently features an Amiga
>center stage.  (The kid protagonist uses it to plot his dating adventures..)
>They didn't like it much, by the way.
>
>What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
>was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
>was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer that ever
>existed."  He was sure that they were simply "advertising type"
>illustrations pasted on.

I think you both have a point.  The graphics and interface shown in
the movie are certainly possible on an Amiga (or a Mac II or VGA
machine) but they aren't used in a reasonable way.

For instance, when the protaganist erases the file containing information
about Rachel, the computer puts a color picture of her up on the
"screen, melts" it to the bottom of the screen and then centers a
flashing "File Deleted" title.  Wonder what OS that is?  :-)

BTW, I think Ebert may be mistaken about what type of computer it is.
The film was shot in London, and I assumed that it was one of the
English computers that we don't see over here.  Certainly nothing
about it said "Amiga" to me, though I'm no Amiga expert.

Anyway, a minor point all around.  There are deeper problems with the
movie than the computer.

					-- Scott Turner

dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) (09/22/89)

> In <1989Sep18.090550.2459@agate.berkeley.edu>, pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) writes:
>What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
>was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
>was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer that ever
>existed."  He was sure that they were simply "advertising type"

Well, I missed the screen shot and only saw the computer from the side.
The point I thought Ebert was trying to make was that real computer
applications don't look the way people display them in movies.  How
many movies have you seen where 'crackers' break into a remote machine and
it starts spewing 3-d vector graphics onto the screen, uh huh.  It's not
really a question of whether the machine is capable of producing such
results its a question of whether any likely application would have such
output.  I haven't seen the movie but I suspect it is highly unlikely that
the 'hero' was generating animations, more likely animations were used to
give more pizazz to what most likely been a much more static looking
program.  In effect, flashy advertising illustrations (albeit Amiga
generated) are substituted for what would be a reasonable computer
interface.  All speculation mind you, as I said I haven't seen the movie.

David Albrecht

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) (09/22/89)

Scott "TCB" Turner, in article <58150@aerospace.AERO.ORG> replies to
my posting in article <1989Sep18.090550.2459@agate.berkeley.edu>:

I wrote:
|| Watching Siskel and Ebert this evening, I was amused to note that one of the
|| movies they reviewed ("The Rachel Papers") apparently features an Amiga
|| What amused me even more -- and annoyed me intensely at the same time --
|| was Ebert's "minor point" that one of the many bad features of the movie
|| was that the computer display "didn't look like any REAL computer...

Scott replies:
> I think you both have a point.  The graphics and interface shown in
> the movie are certainly possible on an Amiga (or a Mac II or VGA
> machine) but they aren't used in a reasonable way.

Very probably -- like I said, it was just a five-second clip I saw.
It was just his concept of what a *COMPUTER* OUGHT to look like that
got to me.

> For instance, when the protaganist erases the file containing information
> about Rachel, the computer puts a color picture of her up on the
> "screen, melts" it to the bottom of the screen and then centers a
> flashing "File Deleted" title.  Wonder what OS that is?  :-)

Gee -- that sounds JUST like some of the Amiga hacks I know... (;-))
Actually -- again with the caveat that I haven't seen the movie (and don't
really propose to) so I don't know the context -- it doesn't seem too
fanciful to imagine a flashy program that would do that.  My guess is he'd
be working from some kind of database program anyway, rather than directly
with the OS.

> BTW, I think Ebert may be mistaken about what type of computer it is.
> The film was shot in London, and I assumed that it was one of the
> English computers that we don't see over here.  Certainly nothing
> about it said "Amiga" to me, though I'm no Amiga expert.

I'm sure ol' Roger has NO idea what computer it is.  However the familiar
logo was clearly visible in the close-up shown in the program, so there's
no doubt as to the brand.

> Anyway, a minor point all around.  There are deeper problems with the
> movie than the computer.

So I am given to understand... (:-))  Episode concluded.

                                        -- Pete --

DHowell.ESCP8@xerox.com (09/22/89)

> For instance, when the protaganist erases the file containing information
> about Rachel, the computer puts a color picture of her up on the
> "screen, melts" it to the bottom of the screen and then centers a
> flashing "File Deleted" title.  Wonder what OS that is?  :-)

Well, Commodore is planning on putting this option in 1.5, you see, as part
of a new operating environment known as MovieDOS.  This is meant as an
alternative to those who may not be comfortable with either the standard
CLI or Workbench enviorenments.  In addition to the visual effects noted
above, in also includes the following options:

 - A beep with every character you type.  No longer does your computer have
to sit there quiet.
 - A fast and efficient graphics compression algorithm which allows full
color high resolution images to be transported across a 300 baud modem at
almost instantaneous speed.  For some reason this compression method
doesn't work on text, so characters still come out at the usual slow speed.
Beeps or clicks with every character displayed is optional, and voice is
also an option.  The voice quality can be set anyewhere from "monotone
mechanical" to "sexy seductive."
 - An incredible networking system which allows you to connect to any other
computer in the world, whether or not it is on a network or not.  I'm not
real sure of the theory of this, but I think it uses gamma rays to create
electron-positron pairs which twiddle the bits of the remote computer.
This is known as TRUE AETHER-NET (tm), since it uses the aether rather than
bulky cables.
 - The faster you move the mouse or type on the keyboard, the faster the
computer's operating speed.  A form of this was implemented on the
Macintosh in "Star Trek IV": Scottie used it when he was generating his
polymer of "transparent aluminum."
 - Voice recognition designed to understand anything anyone says, although
many commands still need to be typed on the keyboard, for some reason.
This bug may be fixed by version 1.6.
 - Instant power on utility starter.  The computer will automatically start
the application you are thinking about as soon as you flip the switch on.
Whether it works by its voice recognition system which may remain on even
when the computer is off, or by reading your brainwaves via TRUE AETHER-NET
(tm) is uncertain.

Oh yeah, :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Dan Howell  <dhowell.escp8@xerox.com>

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (Pete Goodeve) (09/23/89)

In <231@kesmai.COM>, dca@kesmai.COM (David C. Albrecht) says:

> The point I thought Ebert was trying to make was that real computer
> applications don't look the way people display them in movies.  How
> many movies have you seen where 'crackers' break into a remote machine and
> it starts spewing 3-d vector graphics onto the screen, uh huh.

I was going to drop the topic, but on second thoughts I think I was being a
bit hard on Roger Ebert, and ought to apologise to him a bit first.  In
fact, of all the critics I read and watch, Ebert is the one who's opinions
I value the most (and Siskel too to a lesser extent)  -- even though I've
flatly disagreed with him on many occasions.  And I do appreciate his fair
understanding of Science Fiction.

I am also very aware of how computers are nearly always depicted incredibly
stupidly in movies.  Don't you just love it when the system blows up with
dazzling pyrotechnics...?  (Filmmakers can't seem to resist this device
even when the rest of the plot makes some sort of sense.  I saw a movie in
London at Christmas whose plot revolved around a special bar code on a box
of chocolates: of course when a poor shopkeeper was conned into reading it
with his checkout wand his system fried all the way back to the plug in the
wall... (Otherwise I rather liked the movie; but don't look for it in the
States.))

>   ...      In effect, flashy advertising illustrations (albeit Amiga
> generated) are substituted for what would be a reasonable computer
> interface.

Yeah, maybe -- and as neither of us has seen the film, I guess we can't
take this much further (;-).  However, in these days of User Friendliness,
exotic graphics, MultiMedia, and so on, program vendors are competing for a
new market.  That great mass of computer illit... er... the Great American
Public wants Flash!  Think of how important that is to IBM & Sears in their
"Prodigy" service; without it, it would just be a down-market Usenet! (:-))
I see this trend accelerating sharply over the next few years -- very much
faster than actual program functionality, probably...

I guess my basic reaction was that Ebert was equating "real" computer
output with good old scrolling text (probably green, at that!), which just
isn't so any more.  Whatever.  I'm sure it's a really bad picture anyway.

                                        -- Pete --

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (09/25/89)

In article <24647@louie.udel.EDU> DHowell.ESCP8@xerox.com writes:
[much deleted]
> Well, Commodore is planning on putting this option in 1.5, you see, as part
> of a new operating environment known as MovieDOS.  This is meant as an
> alternative to those who may not be comfortable with either the standard
> CLI or Workbench enviorenments.  In addition to the visual effects noted
> above, in also includes the following options:
[much deleted]

Damn.

> Dan Howell  <dhowell.escp8@xerox.com>

-Tom *implied :-)* Limoncelli