[comp.sys.amiga] Inkwell Light Pen

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (09/21/89)

Can anyone tell me what the Inkwell light pen might
be used for? I cant see how it might replace the
drawing pad ie something like the Easyl? or can it?

 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: jea@snipe.cvs.rochester.edu

dooley@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Kevin Dooley) (09/25/89)

In article <3082@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what the Inkwell light pen might
>be used for? I cant see how it might replace the
>drawing pad ie something like the Easyl? or can it?
I played with one of these once on my Amiga.  I found it
to be very unreliable.  The idea is very similar to an
ordinary mouse, except that you point the pen itself directly
at the screen.  In theory, this would be a nice alternative
to a mouse for drawing pictures and the like, but in practice
the pen's position information (which comes from timing the scan
lines on the monitor) was not nearly precise enough for my
purposes (like drawing smooth lines).  This was the Inkwell
pen that I played with.  Perhaps there are better ones on
the market.
		Kevin
--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys