[comp.sys.amiga] WB 1.3.2 license

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (09/13/89)

OK, I have been watching as carefully as possible to all the WB 1.3.2 license
traffic and I have not seen a C= answer to one of the obvious questions that
has been asked more than once.  Please, can we have either an answer or an
indication that you know you have not answered it.

We understand about not being able to redistribute via "electronic" means.
This is being taken as meaning uploading to BBSs.  What is not yet clear is the
C= intent with respect to "non-electronic" means.  For example, my buddy comes
over and we make a copy for him.  The other case I am interested in is doing
the same sort of thing through the local user group.  Making up copies and
distributing them to members free or at a nominal cost, or, if necessary,
actually making the copies one on one at a meeting (really the same thing as
the first case).

I have seen speculation on the net that these are OK but I have not yet seen
anything from C= on their intent or interpretation.  It might be they are
intentionally not commenting (several possible reasons).  Even if this is the
case I would be interested in knowing *that* rather than just leaving it open.

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (09/14/89)

OK, I have been watching as carefully as I can all the WB 1.3.2 license traffic
and I have not seen a C= answer to one of the obvious questions that has been
asked more than once (thanks for the others BTW).  Please, can we have either
an answer or an indication that you know you have not answered it.

We understand about not being able to redistribute via "electronic" means.
This is being taken as meaning uploading to BBSs.  What is not yet clear is the
C= intent with respect to "non-electronic" means.  For example, my buddy comes
over and the two of us make a copy for him.  The other case of interest is
doing the same sort of thing through a local user group.  Making up copies and
distributing them to members free or at a nominal cost, or, if necessary,
actually making the copies one on one at a meeting (which is really the same
thing as the first case).

I have seen speculation on the net that these are OK but I have not yet seen
anything from C= on their intent or interpretation.  It might be they are
intentionally not commenting (for any of several possible reasons).  Even if
this is the case I would be interested in knowing *that* rather than just
leaving it open.

niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) (09/15/89)

OK, you may get it at some dealer, and it will be virus-free (I hope). They
may forbid you to copy it to ensure virus-free distribution, but not ask
you questions where you got it once you have it. If this is true, you can
update your buddy's WB disk, I guess.

What's more important: what are the guidelines in European countries? What
may be updated at the authorized dealer (WB1.2 -> WB1.3? Janus 1.0 -> 2.0?
WB1.3.1 -> WB1.3.2?) and what should be paid for or/and could be paid for if
you want the manuals?

In the Netherlands, no one seems to know. I guess this should be answered by
Commodore International, and maybe guidelines given to foreign branches.
A few things that are great about the Amiga is that new WB versions may be
obtained freely instead of other companies whose motto is 'we only know you
when you are going to buy'. I don't care if I get it a few weeks later at
the dealer than on the nets, but I want to get it if the US consumers can,
and not pay -relatively- lots of $$ every few months. In this way, improve-
ments are welcomed and not disapproved ('I'm out-of-date now, unless...')

Marco Niese (niesemc@econ.vu.nl)

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (09/21/89)

In article <293@vuecon.econ.vu.nl> niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) writes:

>OK, you may get it at some dealer, and it will be virus-free (I hope). They
>may forbid you to copy it to ensure virus-free distribution, but not ask
>you questions where you got it once you have it. If this is true, you can
>update your buddy's WB disk, I guess.
>
>What's more important: what are the guidelines in European countries? What
>may be updated at the authorized dealer (WB1.2 -> WB1.3? Janus 1.0 -> 2.0?
>WB1.3.1 -> WB1.3.2?) and what should be paid for or/and could be paid for if
>you want the manuals?
>
>In the Netherlands, no one seems to know. I guess this should be answered by
>Commodore International, and maybe guidelines given to foreign branches.
>A few things that are great about the Amiga is that new WB versions may be
>obtained freely instead of other companies whose motto is 'we only know you
>when you are going to buy'. I don't care if I get it a few weeks later at
>the dealer than on the nets, but I want to get it if the US consumers can,
>and not pay -relatively- lots of $$ every few months. In this way, improve-
>ments are welcomed and not disapproved ('I'm out-of-date now, unless...')
>
>Marco Niese (niesemc@econ.vu.nl)

I just got off the phone with Commodore Customer Support and was told that
WB 1.3.2 is available through US dealers, (maybe canada too) or by request to
Commodore Customer Support 1200 Wilson Drive  West Chester PA 19380 Phone #
(215) 431 9147 (Be Prepared for a LONG time on hold).

As for Janus 2.0, I was told in no uncertain terms that it is NOT AVAILABLE to
owners of the XT Bridgeboard through Commodore.  Now I know that several
that Janus 2.0 was via Dealers.  HOWEVER, I wish Customer Support was told
that.

If anyone knows how one can REALLY get Janus 2.0 Please let me know.

   Marc Siskin, University of Michigan Language Lab
   Msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu
   Marc_Siskin@ub.cc.umich.edu
   USER HEBE@UMICHUB

lauren@cbmvax.UUCP (Lauren Brown - CATS) (09/26/89)

In article <1989Sep20.195227.13371@terminator.cc.umich.edu> msiskin@shogun.UUCP (Marc Siskin) writes:

>I just got off the phone with Commodore Customer Support and was told that
>WB 1.3.2 is available through US dealers, (maybe canada too) or by request to
>Commodore Customer Support 1200 Wilson Drive  West Chester PA 19380 Phone #
>(215) 431 XXXX (Deleted to prevent further confusion)
>(Be Prepared for a LONG time on hold).

		The correct phone number for Customer Support
		is (215) 436-4200. Use this number to inquire
		about getting 1.3.2, or any other end user question.

>As for Janus 2.0, I was told in no uncertain terms that it is NOT AVAILABLE to
>owners of the XT Bridgeboard through Commodore.  Now I know that several
>that Janus 2.0 was via Dealers.  HOWEVER, I wish Customer Support was told
>that.

	According to Customer Support, they are making Janus 2.0
	available. Please contact them at the correct phone number.

Lauren Brown     -- CBM   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                                    1200 Wilson Drive
                                  West Chester, PA 19380
                   UUCP     ...{allegra,uunet,rutger,}!cbmvax!lauren
                                    PHONE 215-431-9100

                      Do not believe in miracles - rely on them.