[comp.sys.amiga] CON: replacement

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed J Hanway CUST) (09/25/89)

In article <756@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:

>     That approach would work fine if you wanted to copy text from earlier
>in the window.  But I can already do that with the shell by pressing the up
>arrow.  It would be more useful to be able to copy text from one window and
>paste it in another.  I don't see how you would do that with the modifier
>key approach.

You can presently recall previous command lines with the arrow keys, but
what's missing is the ability to, say, get a directory, grab a name
out of the listing and stuff it into a new command line.

At the risk of announcing vaporware, this thread has prompted me to jump
the gun a little and mention my latest half-finished program -- a CON:
replacement which supports mouse cut/paste.  Yes, I started this knowing
that 1.4 will include something like this, but I'm working on it anyway
because:

	(1) I'm not holding my breath waiting for 1.4.

	(2) ConMan's apparent popularity (even since 1.3's NEWCON: came
	    out) has shown that there is still room for alternate console
	    handlers.

Currently you click-and-drag to select something (like a Sun, there is
no separate "cut" operation) and use the "Stuff" menu item (or its
shortcut, Amiga-S) to paste it.  I'll probably also map a function
key to do the paste. I'm trying to keep the approach as streamlined as
possible; using ALT- to do a one step cut/paste is a possibility, but I've
never been thrilled with using the keyboard to qualify the mouse.

I welcome comments, suggestions, etc.
--
Ed Hanway
Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (09/26/89)

In article <1140@elmgate.UUCP> jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) writes:
>Currently you click-and-drag to select something (like a Sun, there is
>no separate "cut" operation) and use the "Stuff" menu item (or its
>shortcut, Amiga-S) to paste it.  I'll probably also map a function
>key to do the paste. I'm trying to keep the approach as streamlined as
>possible; using ALT- to do a one step cut/paste is a possibility, but I've
>never been thrilled with using the keyboard to qualify the mouse.
>
>I welcome comments, suggestions, etc.
>--
>Ed Hanway
>Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
>#include <std_disclaimer.h>

I assume that it will only work within the window you are copying the text
from.  If all text on the screen were available it would seem that this
would have to come from somewhere much deeper in the system than the console
handler.

Well, on the SUN I am using, with the latest version of the OS, there is
now a new option for the console menu called copy (cut-and-paste used to
not work properly within the console window - I am using SunView/Suntools).

Maybe your console handler could have a 'copy text' option that would
share the same buffer (gasp - the clipboard? - no, never! ;^), and 'copy text'
would move text from any window where your handler was running into the
buffer.  Then stuff would pull text out of the buffer, or from local selected
text, if text has been selected locally since the last copy action.

Just a thought.  Sometimes I work out of two windows so I can work out
of two different directories without CDing back and forth all the time
(on the SUN).  It's nice to be able to stuff across windows.

Might even be nice for it to generate a small window that displays the
contents of the copy buffer.  And make the copy buffer appear as
local text to all console windows (ie you can select text from within
the copy buffer and directly stuff in any window).  So like anytime
you 'copy', the text goes into the buffer and is all 'selected'
initially.  Then if you select a smaller subset or select alternate
text within your window, then that will be what is 'stuffed' instead.

Of course you may have already figured out a good way to stuff across
windows, in which case, (whining voice ->) "never miiiind"  ;^).

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM