[comp.sys.amiga] ppn/NET: binaries sent to the moderator

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (09/19/89)

	This is it!  Well, binaries at least.

	The binaries for John Toebes / Doug Walker's NET: running over
    my parallel port network (ppn) code is going to the moderator.

	The project will benefit those people who have two Amiga's and
    only one HD, and want their 'other' Amiga to be able to access that
    HD instead of collect dust.  In simple terms, you string a custom
    cable between the parallel ports of the two Amiga's and then use
    the NET: binaries provided to remotely mount any volume from the server
    machine.

	I'll include an example boot sequence and mount list as well as
    instructions on how to make the cable and run ppn/NET:.

	The current software only works between two Amiga's and you can't
    cross-mount.  Future releases will work in a real 'network' enviroment...
    i.e. more than two Amigas.  Also, you can't use the parallel port for
    a printer while the network is connected, sorry.

	Throughput is 16KBytes/sec+ to a remotely mounted HD (faster if you
    have a faster HD, mine are real slow).  Raw network throughput is
    28KBytes/sec.

					-Matt

In article <8909190922.AA22723@postgres.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>	The current software only works between two Amiga's and you can't
>    cross-mount.  Future releases will work in a real 'network' enviroment...
>    i.e. more than two Amigas.  Also, you can't use the parallel port for
>    a printer while the network is connected, sorry.

Finally I'll find some use of my old A1000.  Matt, do you have provisions
for allocating/deallocating the parallel port, so one can interleave
printouts and NET access?

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
"There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Diga and Caligari!" -- Rick Unland

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (09/20/89)

In article <8909190922.AA22723@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	This is it!  Well, binaries at least.
>
> 	The binaries for John Toebes / Doug Walker's NET: running over
>     my parallel port network (ppn) code is going to the moderator.

I will be looking for it, as well as the Toebes/Walker NET: that
was also sent to the moderator.

BUT, will I ever actually see it in comp.binaries.amiga?  It has been
a l...o...n...g time since anything has been posted.  I know that
the moderator has another life/job.  However there have been similar
queries in the past on the status of c.b.a.  What is producing
the dearth of postings?

This is not a flame, just a request for information.

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (09/20/89)

In article <8909190922.AA22723@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

> 	This is it!  Well, binaries at least.
>
> 	The binaries for John Toebes / Doug Walker's NET: running over
>     my parallel port network (ppn) code is going to the moderator.

I will be looking for it, as well as the Toebes/Walker NET: that
was also sent to the moderator.

BUT, will I ever actually see it in comp.binaries.amiga?  It has been
a l...o...n...g time since anything has been posted.  I know that
the moderator has another life/job.  However there have been similar
queries in the past on the status of c.b.a.  What is producing
the dearth of postings?

This is not a flame, just a request for information.

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
             Mars Hill, NC 28754

tell@oscar.cs.unc.edu (Stephen Tell) (09/20/89)

This is all wonderful, but I don't suppose anyone has solved the problem
of parallel port cable length being limited to 10 feet?  I'm about
to install Dnet (over the serial ports) on a pair of machines about
50 feet apart, but am afraid that the speed limitations there will render
it little more than a toy.

I've got enough wires in the walls to do parallel, but I'm sure I wouldn't
be able to drive that length very well with the TTL outputs.
I'm an EE-type, and the buffering circuit doesn't look easy.  We
are using the port bidirectionaly here; how might an external buffer
know when to turn around and receive instead of transmit?

If anyone has an idea, I would gladly try to hack the hardware.  Failing
that, what do the networking gods (Matt, Doug, John, etc.) have up their sleeves
next?  Anyone wanna help buy them all CMI/Appletalk boards to play with?

--Steve

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (09/20/89)

	The stuff can be pulled off of ucbvax.berkeley.edu via anonymous
	ftp for those on the internet.

	pub/amiga/parnet.zoo	(be sure you are in binary mode)

					-Matt

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (09/20/89)

In article <19990@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>Finally I'll find some use of my old A1000.  Matt, do you have provisions
>for allocating/deallocating the parallel port, so one can interleave
>printouts and NET access?

I've been chatting with Matt on the issue, and he's come up with a scheme
that would use the parallel port data lines and some control lines from
the serial port to control a printer.  Thus, you can have either a serial
port or a slightly restricted parallel port on each machine.  This requires
a rewritten parallel.device that can grab the network data lines and use
the serial port control lines (yes, a custom cable is required) to dump a
burst of data into the printer's buffer, then free the network for normal
network-type stuff.

I suppose the logical progression is to provide other Amigas with replacement
parallel.devices that will send the data to the Amiga with the printer, and
maybe do the same thing with the serial.device.  But this will all be in the
future.  For the moment there are minimal hooks in the code to allow the
server parallel.device to be written and everything else is "sometime."

(Matt, if I've misrepresented your ideas, please correct me.)
--
	-Colin

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (09/21/89)

>Item: 1477 by *Masked* at POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU
>	The binaries for John Toebes / Doug Walker's NET: running over
>    my parallel port network (ppn) code is going to the moderator.

Congrats Matt!

BTW - in a related topic , has anyone seen/done a SYS V DNET yet?

  So Lord, I'd think you more than wise, (and me much less a jerk)
  if only once you might supply.....
                        SOME PENGUIN WINGS THAT WORK!"  Opus '83 - 89 R.I.P.

 UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!clout!ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, The Penthouse ]I[ BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (09/21/89)

>This is all wonderful, but I don't suppose anyone has solved the problem
>of parallel port cable length being limited to 10 feet?  I'm about
>to install Dnet (over the serial ports) on a pair of machines about

I don't think anyone seriously believes that length spec!

I commonly run 75 ft Parralel port off both AMiga and IBMS without funny
wire or anything else.

There are several IBM parralel networks that run just fine , out to 200 feet.

  So Lord, I'd think you more than wise, (and me much less a jerk)
  if only once you might supply.....
                        SOME PENGUIN WINGS THAT WORK!"  Opus '83 - 89 R.I.P.

 UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  uunet!mimsy!oddjob!clout!ddsw1!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, The Penthouse ]I[ BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

bradch@microsoft.UUCP (Bradford Christian ms1) (09/22/89)

This really sounds awsome!  I have a question that may be of general
interest, though.  How far apart can the two Amiga's be?  My Amigas
are in two different rooms and I'd need at least 50ft. of cable (and
that would take some serious work).  (I strung cables for speakers
between these two rooms and used over 100ft to avoid cutting holes,
etc.)

If 50ft of cable won't work, I guess I'll just have to rearrange the
furniture!  This stuff sounds too good to pass up.

	Thanks,
		BradCh

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (09/22/89)

:
:If 50ft of cable won't work, I guess I'll just have to rearrange the
:furniture!  This stuff sounds too good to pass up.
:
:	Thanks,
:		BradCh

	I really don't know.  You can try it though!  50ft is a lot
    of cable.  This isn't like a serial cable which has at least
    the advantage of high drive buffers, or a speaker cable through
    which you pump watts.

	The network is fully handshaked so it's only a matter of noise and
    the CIA being able to pull down through 50ft worth of resistance.  If
    it does work I doubt it could be used for more than a link (two
    computers) with that length cable.

				-Matt

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (09/23/89)

UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  Writes:
:There are several IBM parralel networks that run just fine , out to 200 feet.

	Then we are in good shape, eh?  I just need to finish my device
    driver!

	Don't want to burn out any chips though, anybody ever *measure*
    the sink current on one of those long lines?

			-Matt

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (09/27/89)

In article <8909220252.AA16396@postgres.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> :This really sounds awsome!  I have a question that may be of general
> :interest, though.  How far apart can the two Amiga's be?  My Amigas
[...]
> :If 50ft of cable won't work, I guess I'll just have to rearrange the
> :furniture!  This stuff sounds too good to pass up.
[...]
> :	Thanks,
> :		BradCh
> 	I really don't know.  You can try it though!  50ft is a lot
>     of cable.  This isn't like a serial cable which has at least
[...]
> 				-Matt

How about this, could I safely use a switchbox (one which passes all
pins) to go between printer and network use?  (what would I need to
do to make this work besides kill the network on the printer-Amiga's
end?)  Will the amiga left with no-one on the other end of the net
hang, or just eat some cpu time trying to resynch?

The machine with the printer would be the "server" (if such a concept is
valid here).

Thanks.

ARS.
--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT