[comp.sys.amiga] A2000

perry@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Perry Victor Lea) (09/06/87)

Sender:Perry

Keywords:buy a2000

   When will I be able to purchase an amiga 2000?
   What is this offer on a trade in policy

   Where can I find GOOD (stress good) Public Domain software?

   Is the amiga capable of using a SCSI interface? Where can I order one
   What is the cheapest hard drive system offered for the amiga?

   is there a 68020 co-processor for the a2000?
   does it offer the math coprocessor, and does the amiga automaticcaly use
   the 68020 over the 68000?

   thanks... perry

grr@cbmvax.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <2787@uwmcsd1.UUCP> perry@csd4.milw.wisc.edu.UUCP (Perry Victor Lea) writes:

>    When will I be able to purchase an amiga 2000?
>    What is this offer on a trade in policy

	Now...Details on the A1000->A2000 upgrade should be available from
	any dealer who is handling the A2000.

>    Where can I find GOOD (stress good) Public Domain software?

	The best known source is the 100 disk library created by
	Fred Fish, available directly from him, or at most users
	groups and some enlightened dealers

>    Is the amiga capable of using a SCSI interface? Where can I order one
>    What is the cheapest hard drive system offered for the amiga?

	The A2090 disk controller board for the A2000 supports both
	ST506/412 and SCSI disks.  The general idea is that the SCSI
	portion should work with drives currently being marketed for
	use with those Mac type computers.

>    is there a 68020 co-processor for the a2000?
>    does it offer the math coprocessor, and does the amiga automaticcaly use
>    the 68020 over the 68000?

	We are still working on a 68020 plug-in board for the A2000.  It
	will most likely have a socket where you can plug in an 68881.
	AmigaDOS will automatically make use of the board.  No availability
	date has been announced, and all things are subject to change... 8-)

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: out to lunch...

john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) (09/15/87)

.
.
> >    Is the amiga capable of using a SCSI interface? Where can I order one
> >    What is the cheapest hard drive system offered for the amiga?
>
> 	The A2090 disk controller board for the A2000 supports both
> 	ST506/412 and SCSI disks.  The general idea is that the SCSI
> 	portion should work with drives currently being marketed for
> 	use with those Mac type computers.

Is it a general scsi interface? e.g. if I plug an omti scsi->qic02 tape
controller into it will I be able to use my tape drive?  Is driver source
for the scsi port available?

thanks,
	john

	.

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (09/15/87)

In article <154@bby-bc.UUCP> john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:

>Is it a general scsi interface? e.g. if I plug an omti scsi->qic02 tape
>controller into it will I be able to use my tape drive?  Is driver source
>for the scsi port available?

I asked this question a few months ago.  I'm starting a software project to
write a driver for our user group's SCSI controller.  It will actually be
two drivers:

    "scsi.device" to talk to arbitrary SCSI controllers on the bus

and

    "scsidisk.device" which will emulate (of course) a trackdisk.device
interface and use scsi.device to talk the the disk controllers.

Existing products that I know about (e.g. C Ltd) have one monolithic driver
which has no (documented) hooks to issued commands to device on the SCSI bus.

I hope that C-A has such an interface, and is willing to release the interface
specifications so that other can emulate it.  Is there any tech documentation
on the A2000 SCSI/ST-506 controller that describes the software interface?

Do you really expect to back up your 30M disk to floppies?  Be real.  I wish
I had a QIC02 SCSI controller and drive.  But if I did, I guess I'd be frantic
trying to figure out a way to use it.  Then again, I wish my C Ltd drive would
come back from C Ltd..  *Sigh*

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

In article <154@bby-bc.UUCP> john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
> .
> .
> > >    Is the amiga capable of using a SCSI interface? Where can I order one
> > >    What is the cheapest hard drive system offered for the amiga?
> >
> > 	The A2090 disk controller board for the A2000 supports both
> > 	ST506/412 and SCSI disks.  The general idea is that the SCSI
> > 	portion should work with drives currently being marketed for
> > 	use with those Mac type computers.
>
> Is it a general scsi interface? e.g. if I plug an omti scsi->qic02 tape
> controller into it will I be able to use my tape drive?  Is driver source
> for the scsi port available?

The SCSI driver currently supports only disk type devices, however there is
provision for higher level software to pass random SCSI commands thru the
driver to perform other functions.  Disks seem to be the only thing so far
with a reasonable amount of common functionality.

I'm not sure how well this will be documented initially, but hopefully it
will be useful to get tape backup devices and such off the ground.

--

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/16/87)

In article <1931@umd5.umd.edu> louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>In article <154@bby-bc.UUCP> john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:

>Existing products that I know about (e.g. C Ltd) have one monolithic driver
>which has no (documented) hooks to issued commands to device on the SCSI bus.
>
>I hope that C-A has such an interface, and is willing to release the interface
>specifications so that other can emulate it.  Is there any tech documentation
>on the A2000 SCSI/ST-506 controller that describes the software interface?

Unfortunately, our harddisk.device person made the same mistake, and
we've got one monolithic device as well.  If/when it gets rewritten
we plan to do something more like you're planning.  I think that's the
right way to go also.

(The only thing SCSI specific our driver does it it supports
 sending a SCSI command...ie you can send an arbitrary SCSI command
  block;  it was a last minute thing, and is horrible, and all that,
  but at least means that you *can* use a SCSI tape backup device.

>Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Interfere?  Of course we'll interfere.  Always do what you're best at,
 I always say."

jdow@gryphon.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <1931@umd5.umd.edu> louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>In article <154@bby-bc.UUCP> john@bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
>
>>Is it a general scsi interface? e.g. if I plug an omti scsi->qic02 tape
>>controller into it will I be able to use my tape drive?  Is driver source
>>for the scsi port available?
>>

>I asked this question a few months ago.  I'm starting a software project to
>write a driver for our user group's SCSI controller.  It will actually be
>two drivers:
>
>    "scsi.device" to talk to arbitrary SCSI controllers on the bus
>
>and
>
>    "scsidisk.device" which will emulate (of course) a trackdisk.device
>interface and use scsi.device to talk the the disk controllers.
>
>Existing products that I know about (e.g. C Ltd) have one monolithic driver
>which has no (documented) hooks to issued commands to device on the SCSI bus.
>
>I hope that C-A has such an interface, and is willing to release the interface
>specifications so that other can emulate it.  Is there any tech documentation
>on the A2000 SCSI/ST-506 controller that describes the software interface?
>
>Do you really expect to back up your 30M disk to floppies?  Be real.  I wish
>I had a QIC02 SCSI controller and drive.  But if I did, I guess I'd be frantic
>trying to figure out a way to use it.  Then again, I wish my C Ltd drive would
>come back from C Ltd..  *Sigh*
>
>Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
>University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming

Well, Louis, since I an doing some speedup work for Microbotics I have their
new stardrive source. It has a hook for generic SCSI commands. I have no idea
yet whether they willbe making them public, though. I will ask them to do so
and document it. I will cite your needs when talking to Redmond and crew.

<^_^>
.
oops - not bix <o.o>

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

miner@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) (09/18/87)

In article <2343@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>  The SCSI driver currently [has a] provision for higher level software to
>pass random SCSI commands thru the driver to perform other functions.
>  I'm not sure how well this will be documented initially, but hopefully it
>will be useful to get tape backup devices and such off the ground.

I am looking at a SCSI based page scanner from DataCopy, think we will have
a problem getting this to talk to your SCSI interface?

--
 Rich miner@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu - Center Prod Enhancement 617/452-5000x2693

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (09/18/87)

	Much to my suprise today, I visited and called every store in the
LA/Orange County area I knew of that could have an A2000. Once again
KJ Computers in Granada Hills impressed me. (Advertised in Amiga/World)
	But they had 20 A2000 systems packaged in a way that I was very
suprised about. It was as follows:
	1) A2000
	2) A1080 monitor
	3) 3 1/2 drive
	4) 5 1/4 drive
	5) 20 meg hard disk
	6) Bridge card
	7) 3 meg memory
	8) 1200 baud modem
	9) mousepad, surgeprotected power strip, etc.

The price was $3900.00

	Other good Amiga only stores said that thier orders were sitting on
the shipping dock.

	BTW, they sold 2 systems yesterday out of 20.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)

jabber@pnet02.UUCP (09/25/87)

Regarding A2000s in LA, did you try calling Creative Computers in Santa
Monica?  Its a great place & they're selling A2000s unbundled (your option.)
I got mine there last Thursday, when they came in.)

No, I am not affiliated in any way with the store mentioned above... just a
happy customer, thats all.

          Rich
          crash!gryphon!pnet02!jabber

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd!crash, seismo!scgvaxd!cadovax}!gryphon!pnet02!jabber
INET: jabber@pnet02.CTS.COM

lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) (09/29/87)

In article <1931@umd5.umd.edu> louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
:Do you really expect to back up your 30M disk to floppies?  Be real.  I wish

What about the great world beater, Fastback, for the pc? Can't a simular
program be developed for the Amiga?

(Boy is this guy naive...thinks PC stuff can be ported...:)
:-)

--
	Lawrence H. Brown
USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!cdf!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@cdf.apctrc.uucp (?)

In article <1754@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu> miner@dino.cpe.ulowell.edu (Rich Miner) writes:
> In article <2343@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> >  The SCSI driver currently [has a] provision for higher level software to
> >pass random SCSI commands thru the driver to perform other functions.
> >  I'm not sure how well this will be documented initially, but hopefully it
> >will be useful to get tape backup devices and such off the ground.
>
> I am looking at a SCSI based page scanner from DataCopy, think we will have
> a problem getting this to talk to your SCSI interface?

It should be possible, but that doesn't make it easy...  Perhaps contact Andy
and see if you can be the first victim and get a little extra support...

--

jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM (Joanne Dow) (09/30/87)

In article <310@apctrc.UUCP> lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) writes:
>In article <1931@umd5.umd.edu> louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:
>:Do you really expect to back up your 30M disk to floppies?  Be real.  I wish
>
>What about the great world beater, Fastback, for the pc? Can't a simular
>program be developed for the Amiga?
>
>(Boy is this guy naive...thinks PC stuff can be ported...:)
>:-)

Have you checked out Fred Fish's bru? It seems to be complete and reasonable
fast. (Fred - how's the final release coming?) It has saved my bacon at least
once here.

>--
>	Lawrence H. Brown
>USENET: ...!uunet!apctrc!cdf!zlhb0a or zlhb0a@cdf.apctrc.uucp (?)
>Phone: (918-660-4389) 24 hrs, voice. USmail: 7325 E. 50th, Tulsa, OK 74145
>Disclaimer: I paid 25 cents to see the light.  Call it cheap entertainment.

--
<@_@>
	BIX:jdow
	INTERNET:jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM
	UUCP:{akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, nosc}!crash!gryphon!jdow

Remember - A bird in the hand often leaves a sticky deposit. Perhaps it was
better you left it in the bush with the other one.

harald@ccicpg.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (10/16/87)

	Wow. That's it. I just got my A2000. $1000 plus $250 buy back. I am
really impressed. Commodore has my heart. So many moans and groans, and what
did Commodore do? More than I ever hoped for. Music so sweet! Kudos to
Commodore! I kept my investment by $250 and got the A2000 for $1000 below
retail! Does Commodore luv us or what? If Big Blue was so condescending, or
Apple, or Atari. I will never bitch about getting a raw deal, since I got such
a reasonably good deal. Reasonable as in what computer company on earth would
give us such a deal. Go Commodore!!!

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of the CCI POWER 6/32)
UUCP: uunet!ccicpg!harald

johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) (05/22/88)

Hi I am new to the conference system and hope this letter makes to someone
other than oblivion. I own an Amiga 2000 but I don't know if it's an A or B,
what is the difference and which is suppose to be better? My machine does not
GURU properly so I wrote to CBM and they replied saying "SetAlert will solve
this problem and it is available on the 1.3 enhancer". Well as far as I know
1.3 is not out yet and I don't know of anyone haveing SetAlert. I would like
to know what actually is at fault in my 2000 and if it's hardware how can I
get it fixed, other than patching around it with this SetAlert command? Also a
friend just purchased a 2000 and his machine runs fine and has the same
revision mother board (4.3). Transformer also runs fine on his machine but not
on mine, are the two problems related?

Concerning the A2090 is commodore going to support the A2090 when 1.3 does
come out?

Last but not least, can I replace the 256k memory chips with 1meg chips and if
so what is involed in doing this?

Thank you very much in advance, and a warm ALOHA from Hawaii.
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!johnk
U.S. Mail: John C. Krause 92-982 Kanehoa Loop, Ewa Beach, HI 96707

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/23/88)

In article <2992@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>Hi I am new to the conference system and hope this letter makes to someone
>other than oblivion. I own an Amiga 2000 but I don't know if it's an A or B,
>what is the difference and which is suppose to be better?

  German designed 2000's (A2000) have a 4 layer board, no Gary, a thin Agnus,
  and no composite video port.

  US designed 2000's (B2000) have a 2 layer board, has Gary, Fat Agnus (not a
  Fatter Agnus :-), and a composite video port.

  Easy way to tell is look at the back of the machine, count the number of RCA
  styled jacks. 2 = 4 layer & 3 = 2 layer machine. Remember *ONLY* 2 layer
  machines were sold in the US.

>							   My machine does not
>GURU properly so I wrote to CBM and they replied saying "SetAlert will solve
>this problem and it is available on the 1.3 enhancer". Well as far as I know
>1.3 is not out yet and I don't know of anyone haveing SetAlert.

  SetAlert has been posted to UseNet, most of the commercial database services
  (BIX, Plink, CI$, ect) and most of the better Amiga BBS's. So you do not have
  to wait for 1.3 just to get SetAlert. And yes, 1.3 is not out yet.

>								 I would like
>to know what actually is at fault in my 2000 and if it's hardware how can I
>get it fixed, other than patching around it with this SetAlert command? Also a
>friend just purchased a 2000 and his machine runs fine and has the same
>revision mother board (4.3).

  I know Andy has already explained what SetAlert does so as to not take up
  more space than I am, if you need that info. drop me mail.

>			       Transformer also runs fine on his machine but not
>on mine, are the two problems related?

  No these two items are not related. Please remember that Transformer is
  *NOT* supported on the 2000 - only the 500 & 1000.

>Concerning the A2090 is commodore going to support the A2090 when 1.3 does
>come out?

  Well I have a A2090 and 1.3 (Beta of course) and it works. What kind of
  support do you mean/want? As far as the A2090 is concerned it works the
  same with V1.3 (KickStart and/or WorkBench) as it did with V1.2

>Last but not least, can I replace the 256k memory chips with 1meg chips and if
>so what is involed in doing this?

  Sorry im not of any help on this one, maybe a hardware type guy (or gal :-)
  can cover here....

>Thank you very much in advance, and a warm ALOHA from Hawaii.

  Your welcome and greetings from West Chester PA. (Its 80 degrees today :-)

>U.S. Mail: John C. Krause 92-982 Kanehoa Loop, Ewa Beach, HI 96707

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!sneakers
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!sneakers@uunet.uu.net

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/24/88)

In article <3844@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein CATS) writes:

>  US designed 2000's (B2000) have a 2 layer board, has Gary, Fat Agnus (not a
>  Fatter Agnus :-), and a composite video port.
			   ^^^^^^^^^
   OPPS! (Open mouth, insert foot mode on) I meant to say MONOCROME regardless
   of what I actually said. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

--

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/24/88)

In article <2992@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>Hi I am new to the conference system and hope this letter makes to someone
>other than oblivion. I own an Amiga 2000 but I don't know if it's an A or B,

All 2000's sold in the US are the West Chester Fat-Agnus design, aka "B2000".

>                                                   ...My machine does not
>GURU properly so I wrote to CBM and they replied saying "SetAlert will solve
>this problem and it is available on the 1.3 enhancer". Well as far as I know
>1.3 is not out yet and I don't know of anyone haveing SetAlert. I would like
>to know what actually is at fault in my 2000 and if it's hardware how can I
>get it fixed, other than patching around it with this SetAlert command?

When 1.3 comes out, you will have SetAlert.  Meanwhile, I don't think it's
a particularly big deal to have to CTRL/Amiga/Amiga to bring up the GURU.
The problem is that the ROM code for Alert() thinks something's wrong
if ExecBase is in $C00000 memory.  SetAlert() includes a system patch
which is an Alert() replacement - the replacement knows ExecBase in $C00000
memory is fine.

>Also a friend just purchased a 2000 and his machine runs fine and has the same
>revision mother board (4.3). Transformer also runs fine on his machine but not
>on mine, are the two problems related?

No - the problems are not related.   Transformer is not marketed as an
A2000 program.  It contains some very timing-critical direct-to-the-hardware
keyboard handshaking code which works on some keyboards and not on others.

>Concerning the A2090 is commodore going to support the A2090 when 1.3 does
>come out?

Huh ?   The 2090 will continue to work just as it does now under 1.3.

>Last but not least, can I replace the 256k memory chips with 1meg chips and if
>so what is involed in doing this?

I doubt it.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) (05/25/88)

Hello again, let me clear up one of previous questions. What I wanted to know
about the A2090 and 1.3 was, will CBM be supporting the A2090 owners with an
upgrade to utilize the 1.3 boot option (from a hard drive)? What prompts this
question is an artical I read in either AmigaWorld or INFO. The artical
mentioned that hard drive owners will need a controller that will allow the
autoboot fearture of 1.3.

I would also like to mention that my 1.1 Tranformer with the 1.2 patch works
fine with two exceptions. When I start Transformer and when I end Transformer.
I have to CTRL-A-A to get the intial DOS screen and to exit out of
Transformer. I have just recieved version 1.0 of setalert.ld and after running
it the first thing I did was try Transformer and it starts up without CTRL-A-A
and runs just fine. However to exit I still have to CTRL-A-A to return to WB.
Just a little info I thought I would pass along.

Will there be a new set of ROM's for 1.3, if so will they clear up the
setalert bug?

Thanks All!

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/27/88)

In article <3020@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>Hello again, let me clear up one of previous questions. What I wanted to know
>about the A2090 and 1.3 was, will CBM be supporting the A2090 owners with an
>upgrade to utilize the 1.3 boot option (from a hard drive)?

There is no upgrade policy at this time.  However, with 1.3 ROMs (or KS)
you will be able to reboot from the WB 1.3 ramdrive and quickly transfer
control to your harddrive.   People who want to step up to an autoboot
controller should have no problem finding buyers for a used 2090 since
an autoboot controller is likely to cost more.

>[]
>Will there be a new set of ROM's for 1.3, if so will they clear up the
>setalert bug?

There will be 1.3 ROMs but they will not clear up the setalert bug.
1.3 = 1.2 + autoboot code.  All bug fixes and other enhancements will
be in 1.4.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/01/88)

In article <2992@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:

>Last but not least, can I replace the 256k memory chips with 1meg chips and if
>so what is involed in doing this?

Nope, the 256K chips are there to stay.  The best way to upgrade A2000 memory
is via a standard Zorro-II memory card.  Such cards are made by Commodore-Amiga,
ASDG, Micron Technology (using ASDG's design), Digitronics, Microbotics (on
the way if not out already), probably several others.
--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

a72@mindlink.UUCP (Raman Anand) (09/27/89)

Friend of mine told me that there was a message on USENET regarding
the Revision 6 motherboard of A2000 being incompatible with
the HARDFRAME2000 harddrive controller. Could someone please
forward that message to me?
I just purchased a new A2000 (Revision6) with FAT AGNUS and
would like to get the Hardframe and 8UP board. I would like to know if all of
them are compatible with each other.

Raman Anand
a72@mindlink.uucp
73767,2161 Compuserve