[comp.sys.amiga] Printer Driver Generator

davidlo@madvax.UUCP (03/27/87)

    Although the NEC Pinwriter P6 is capable to do very high density
    graphic printing, I could not get that to use high density mode
    while doing a print out from DPaint II and PageSetter.  I was using
    the Epson driver.

    A possible solution is to write my own printer driver.  I heard
    that a Printer Driver Generator is floating out there somewhere.
    Is this true or is that a rumor?

    Please e-mail to me if you know something about it.

    Thanks.

    - David

--
David Lo   (415)939-2400                                          /\  o
Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, CA 94598     \/

docken@argos.uucp (William Dockendorf) (05/16/89)

  Sorry to post this to the net, but my mailer demon doesn't seem to
  know about 'cbmvax'.   This is a message to David Berezowski about rewriting
  the printer driver generator....

  I would like to look into possibly voluntering for rewriting the printer driver
generator.  I realize that I may be getting myself into a lot of work, but I was
looking for something useful to do to learn more about the amiga.

  Some background info :  I recently bought (aproximately 2 months ago) an amiga
1000 from a friend who was upgrading to a 2000.  After getting bored with just
playing games, I have bought Lattice C version 5 and have ordered a hard disk and
controller and I'm looking to do some "serious" programming.  Obviously, I don't
know a whole lot about the amiga yet but I am a good C programmer (that's what I
do for a living).

  Questions :
   1. How to I get a copy of the old printer driver generator?
      (One of the recent messages mentioned a PrtDrvGen on Fred Fish #60 and
       a PrtDrvGen 2.3 on Amicus Disk #22.  Does this mean that someone has
       already rewritten a printer driver generator?)
   2. What other inforamtion do I need to get started?

  Thanks,
    William Dockendorf

"what you are seeing is the direct result of a causality violation"

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (05/16/89)

In light of all the talk about printer drivers:

I am the (un)lucky owner of two unsupported printers with regards to
the Amiga - a Prowriter & a Radio Shack GCP220 Color Inkjet. I picked
up printer drivers for both printers a couple of years ago off of
BBS's. Problem is that neither works correctly. Oh, they work close
enough for me not to complain much, until now.

I just purchased ProWrite - one of the main purposes was so my son
could produce nice reports (in color) for school projects. He was
really looking forward to it. Only the CGP220 driver really screws up
on ProWrite output. Looks like buffer space wasn't handled correctly or
something, but what does work actually produces the best text I've seen
on the CGP220.

Now, I once tried to write a printer driver for the ProWriter, using
info in the Libraries & Devices Manual, but I couldn't get everything
correctly, and gave up due to the lack of information and the discovery
of one already done. I am not a developer, so I apparently can't access
to the right information, but I seems that if info for writing drivers
isn't commonly available, then Commodore ought to support these
slightly less common printers.  (yes, I understand the official
position, just don't agree with it)

Just in case you might have drivers different from from what I have
please consider sending them.

  CItoh_Prowriter  3292
  RS_CGP220        2560

But what I'd really like is source & good instructions for writing my
own (Manx C). Also, I have PrtDrvGen, donated $$ for it too, but still
don't have enought info to get everything to work correctly - especially
color for the RS.

Thanks,

Kent Polk

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (05/17/89)

In article <16269@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> you write:
>I am the (un)lucky owner of two unsupported printers with regards to
	   ^^ How wrong you are...
>the Amiga - a Prowriter & a Radio Shack GCP220 Color Inkjet.

I borrowed a CGP 220 from work and put together a driver for it using
PrtDrvGen so that I could use it to print color graphics.  The color driver
that I have now works with Commodore's screen dump utility, Deluxe Photolab's
Poster program, and a third party screen dumper that dumps everything at
four times normal size.  I am VERY pleased with the results.  The only problem
with the driver is that it doesn't really support text at all, I pretty much
skipped that portion of the driver creation because it didn't interest me.

Since your posting indicates that you don't know how to do the color you can
just use mine for that portion of it and fill in the text portion that you
do know.  I'll send what I've got to comp.binaries.amiga today.

Quick plug:
As a discontinued printer the CGP 220 can usually be had for a song ($100-150)
and it is INCREDIBLY inexpensive to run because it uses ink jet cartridges
that last forever.  The cartridges and paper for the printer are still
orderable through the Radio Shack catalog and if you can get the paper rolls
you can do really neat posters with a minimal amount of work.

John Munsch

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (05/23/89)

In article <16269@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.UUCP (Kent D. Polk) writes:
>In light of all the talk about printer drivers:
>Now, I once tried to write a printer driver for the ProWriter, using
>info in the Libraries & Devices Manual, but I couldn't get everything
>correctly, and gave up due to the lack of information and the discovery
>But what I'd really like is source & good instructions for writing my own
>Kent Polk

     We have all seen the examples in the RKM and they do leave out IMPORTANT
  details. i.e. We need an example with COMPLETE linkage information. Does
  anyone out there have this?

     Pulleeaaze? (my best Roger Rabbit imitation.)

     Don White
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (05/24/89)

In article <837@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel.UUCP (Don White) writes:
>     We have all seen the examples in the RKM and they do leave out IMPORTANT
>  details. i.e. We need an example with COMPLETE linkage information. Does
>  anyone out there have this?

Get the 1.3 Native Developer Update from CATS  ($20). Not only do you get
the latest include files and amiga.lib, but you also get source to
some of the printer drivers on the 1.3 release.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

  "Do or Do Not.  There is no Try." - Yoda, explaining the loop constructs
				     in JCL (Jedi Control Language).

bear@bucsb.UUCP (Blair M. Burtan) (09/27/89)

In article <535@mindlink.UUCP> a46@mindlink.UUCP (Robin Ritchey) writes:

>        I am having problems locating a good printer driver for the Raven
>PR-2417.  This printer is made by Roland Digital Group.  It is a 24 pin
>printer.

The recent few articles concerning printer drivers has prompted me
to stick in a few hundred pesos worth.  Personally, I have an
ALPS P2400C with the 18 pin printhead.  It works.  The output from
Pagestream at density 7 is actually pretty good.  But one page can
take up to 10 minutes to print.  The EpsonX driver only uses 9
of the 18 pins.  It seems to me that a custom driver using 18 pins
could cut the print time in half.  Now, I have priced the 24 pin
Epson LQ upgrade for my printer and the only place I found it at
want $265 for it.  YECH!!  It lists for $395!  I could buy a new
printer for that.
   Now, here's the suggestion: Some ambitious programmer out there
should write a good driver creation program.  I've seen the PD
one for 1.2 and it's a bear to use aside from it being 1.2.  CBM
writes their drivers somehow.  Maybe they could enlighten us as
to how they did it.  Failing that, maybe the author of the PD driver
generator program could release the source so we could hack it
to 1.3.

--
----------- Signature Version 0.5 (aka Fine, be that way. )-----------------
bear@bucsb.bu.edu   bear@bucsf.bu.edu   bear@buengf.bu.edu