[comp.sys.amiga] bitmap2vector

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (09/14/89)

>>What do you mean "maybe EPS"?
>>Bitmap to vector is never possible....
>
>Bitmap to vector is implemented in some Mac programs. I use Aldus
>Freehand every day at work, it does the trick. I turn bitmap maps
>of the world into vectors so I can manipulate them , occasionally
>I'm asked to get some action from a bad photo (it's a daily I work
>in) and again, scanned image ---> vector (!!!) does the the trick,
>and I get a woodcut-like PS picture.
>I know they said it cannot be done - maybe they meant  'cannot be
>done in real-time witha low error rate and military-spec resolution'.
>Sometimes they mean that.

How does this work? Can anybody explain to me? Is it simply done by
connecting lines that consist of the same color to a vector? Such as in
Interfont Designer?

Anyway - another thing the Amiga community lacks.

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

iddos@TAURUS.BITNET (09/19/89)

In article <0040.AA0040@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com writes:
>>>What do you mean "maybe EPS"?
>>>Bitmap to vector is never possible....
>>
>>Bitmap to vector is implemented in some Mac programs. s
[bla bla]

>How does this work? Can anybody explain to me? Is it simply done by
>connecting lines that consist of the same color to a vector? Such as in
>Interfont Designer?

Obviously it cannot be done byconnecting lines, since there ARE no lines
as such yet - I am referring to a program that FINDS, or DEFINES, lines -
out of the chaos of bit-maps. Repeat, automatically, and at reasonable
timing.
There are a couple such programs, I hear, one I use. It does not work
with color because you don't always get color bitmaps in Mac programs
in the first place. This one (Aldus Freehand) is state of the art,
yet V2.0 does not handle color bitmaps.

>Anyway - another thing the Amiga community lacks.
But we have better colors, did you notice the colors? I like colors.

| Ido (The Id) Amin                                 iddos@taurus.BITNET |
+---------- Is the virtual memory of a unicorn a physical device? ------+

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (09/27/89)

In article <1112@taurus.BITNET> iddos%math.tau.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Iddo Ilan) writes:
> [...]

Sure it is!

>>How does this work? Can anybody explain to me? Is it simply done by
>>connecting lines that consist of the same color to a vector? Such as in
>>Interfont Designer?

loosely put, the program scans the bitmap line-by-line. When a non-background
color is found, that location is tagged and then the algorithm proceeds to
trace around the edge until it reaches where it began. The list of
coordinates from point to point of the scanned area is now processed to remove
excess vertices and perhaps to smooth it out some. And there you have it!

>There are a couple such programs, I hear, one I use. It does not work
>with color because you don't always get color bitmaps in Mac programs
>in the first place. This one (Aldus Freehand) is state of the art,
>yet V2.0 does not handle color bitmaps.

There are a couple of programs on the Amiga that will do that too- also, the
software that I am currently working on will be able to do that, too.
So sit tight!