[comp.sys.amiga] sa4d

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (09/20/89)

What is the easiest way to produce a proper looking free fall with keyframe
animation in Sculpt Animate 4D (or 3D)?

When  I  use  global  animation,  I  can set up a spline and let the points
distribute  themselves  on the path using the speed slider so that it looks
like a free fall.

However, this fails when I'm using keyframe animation, and I have to do it,
since  the  ball  that falls down is supposed to contract and hop up again,
this  time  to  a point lower than the starting point (naturally).  I don't
think that can be done in global animation, can it?

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (09/25/89)

In article <0160.AA0160@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com writes:

>What is the easiest way to produce a proper looking free fall with keyframe
>animation in Sculpt Animate 4D (or 3D)?
>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
>"Justice is the possession and doing
>of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

If the falling object is be the 'key framed' object you're gonna have to
save many key frames with the position set appropriately in each, even then
the motion will 'step' in speed as each key frame is reached.  If you can
use a combination of key frame and 'global' methods to achieve your effect
and use the global for the falling objects path, the fall can accelerate
smoothly.  What I've done is to select 'add circle' and specify 4 times as
many divisions as you want for path positions. Then select only 3/4 of the
circle, leaving the verticies from 9:00 to 12:00 deselected.  Erase the
selected verticies.  Now you have a 90 degree arc containing the number of
verticies that you want positions for.  Now do 'expand/contract' and turn
off the height direction (probably Up/Down) and click contract several
times. This will leave you with a vertical line made up of verticies that
have separations ranging from very close together at the top to far apart
(relatively) at the bottom.  Make that a Path and select the direction.  If
you want 'bounce' then do the same as above, but make a half-circle and
only twice as many divisions in the circle as you want path positions for.
Delete only vertices from just after 3:00 to just before 9:00, and then do
the contract.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804

mlandis@nmsu.edu (Marvin Landis) (09/26/89)

In article <0160.AA0160@sosaria> Chris Brand (wizard@sosaria.UUCP) asks:

> What is the easiest way to produce a proper looking free fall with
> keyframe animation in Sculpt Animate 4D (or 3D)?

You will need to use several keyframes for the ball to drop, and then again
for the ball to rise.  In the simple diagram below, I am assuming there is
the same number of frames between each keyframe:

o   Position of the ball in keyframe 1
o   Position in keyframe 5  (Maybe a little overlap with position in 1)

o   Position in keyframe 9

o   Position in keyframe 13

o  Position as it hits the ground in keyframe 17
---------------

As the diagram shows, just position the ball closer to its previous position
when the ball is moving slowly at the top of its bounce, and farther from its
previous position when its moving faster.  Of course with keyframes you can
squash and stretch the ball in appropriate positions to achieve the effect
you desire.  You might even be able to use the spline idea to help determine
where the best positions are for the ball in each keyframe, just create the
spline and use it as a "template" to manually position the ball in each key
frame instead of letting SA do it automatically.

As for the problem you are having with "Not enough memory" errors, if I
recall correctly that is what happens if you are running Morerows on your
system disk.  If that is the case, get rid of morerows and see what happens

Marvin Landis
mlandis@nmsu.edu

mlandis@nmsu.edu (Marvin Landis) (09/26/89)

After my last posting on this subject, I realized I made a small mistake
in my diagram if you want to do squash and stretch.  Then Stan Fisher
pointed out that "steps" would occur in the animation using my method, so
I thought I would post a second message and clear a few things up.
(And anyway I wasn't listed on the latest Bandwidth Waster's Hall of Fame
and I felt really left out :-)

First, I should have stressed the use of squash and stretch more in my
original posting.  Yes, there would be steps in the speed of the ball using
the keyframes as I described, however if the ball is stretched in each
keyframe as it falls, I feel the illusion created is good
enough you cannot detect this "stepping".  I admit it is still
not an exact imitation of a falling ball, but its easy and I have done
a bouncing ball animation using this method its practically impossible to
see the stepping in speed.

So here's the new diagram, with one new keyframe necessary for squash and
stretch:

o  Keyframe 1
o  Keyframe 5  (still no stretch)

o  Keyframe 9  (stretch the ball a small amount)

o  Keyframe 13  (stretched some more)

O  Keyframe 17  (stretched to its maximum)     This is the frame I forgot.
o  Keyframe 18  (squashed as it hits the groud)
----------

Try it, I think you'll find that since the ball changes shape each
frame, this helps cover the stepping speeds problem.  After all
its easy, and its all an illusion anyway :-)

Marvin Landis
mlandis@nmsu.edu

pawn@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin Goroway) (09/27/89)

In article <330@opus.NMSU.EDU> mlandis@opus.UUCP (Marvin Landis) writes:
>In article <0160.AA0160@sosaria> Chris Brand (wizard@sosaria.UUCP) asks:
>
>> What is the easiest way to produce a proper looking free fall with
>> keyframe animation in Sculpt Animate 4D (or 3D)?
>
>You will need to use several keyframes for the ball to drop, and then again
>for the ball to rise.  In the simple diagram below, I am assuming there is
>the same number of frames between each keyframe:

[nice little picture deleted]

I find that if I add a circle, and then cut it in half (leaving only the
top half) I end up with a nice path for a bouncing ball...
You can duplicate it and shrink it as you like.
(this can be used to make the ball appear as if it is losing energy)
This would be the global approach, but there is nothing stopping you from
adding a few key frames where you need them, to change the shape of the ball
while it is moving.

--
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
| Worcester Polytechnic Institute   | "It happens sometimes, people just     |

DAVID_LYNN_BRUMFIELD@cup.portal.com (09/28/89)

Use a Spline with 2 knots at the extream ends. Adjust the knot Speed at the
top end of the spline so the vertices are closer to the top than the bottom.
Remember the approximate distance you move the slider to the left or right.
Now adjust the Slope to give the Spline a more gentle curve. Go to the Lower
knot and adjust the Knot speed slider in the opposite direction and the same
length from the center as you did the top knot. This will give you evenly spac
verticies from one knot to the other. If you don't change the speed on both,
the spacing will only change to the half way between the knots. The next part
is harder. That is to get the Squashing effect. I like to use the Cycle object
method  as seen in the "chip" (henry?) animation on the data disks. Make a
different version of your ball in steps of squashedness. Name them as the Manu
tells you, with numbers, to get the proper degree squished ball at the particu
frame you need it. This may seem like a very complex way to do this animation,
but it is much easier to adjust the single squished balls one at a time seprat
than to try to adjust the Key frames and get into the horrible cycle of having
fix your next frame because you just "fixed" the one before it! Read the text
file that came with Henry. It will help you understand how to do this type
of animation. Another good thing about doing it this way, is the Spline can
also be a path at the same time and by moving the knots only you can determine
where the ball comes from and where it lands very simply!! Sculpt 4D is THE
most powerfull animation program I use.
                                        David B.