[comp.sys.amiga] Menu Tools used in Vibra?

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (09/28/89)

I am wondering if anyone has looked at the sources to Vibra, ( a recently
posted program which simulates lines and sheets of linked harmonic oscillators)?
It seems as though Fred Mitchell used either some homebrewed menu utilities
or some commercial utilites.  The functions that I refer to are SetMenu,
SetMenuItem, SetSubItemMenu, ....   These functions are I assume included
through the Tools.h and probably linkedto an external library.

Does anyone know where this library is? Is it commercial or PD?
Fred Mitchell, since you wrote the vibra.c program, are you out there?
Can you help?

Thanks,
--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

mitchell@cbmvax.UUCP (Fred Mitchell - QA) (09/28/89)

In article <2593@pur-phy> murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) writes:
>I am wondering if anyone has looked at the sources to Vibra, ( a recently
>posted program which simulates lines and sheets of linked harmonic oscillators)?
>It seems as though Fred Mitchell used either some homebrewed menu utilities
>or some commercial utilites.  The functions that I refer to are SetMenu,
>SetMenuItem, SetSubItemMenu, ....   These functions are I assume included
>through the Tools.h and probably linkedto an external library.
>
>Does anyone know where this library is? Is it commercial or PD?
>Fred Mitchell, since you wrote the vibra.c program, are you out there?
>Can you help?

Yes, I'm out there somewhere! :-) I have written a whole library of powerful
tools to make Intuition programming easier. I have not yet release these tools
(called the Mitchell/Ware Libraries) but plan to at some point in the
future. The source was provided for the sole purpose of detailing the
algorithm used to generate the 'waves' in Vibra. I'm afraid that if
you want to make modifications, etc. that you will have to rewrite the
menu section- which wouldn't be too diffucult, but just a pain! Sorry, folks.
however, if I get more requests for the Mitchell/Ware Libraries, I will
consider releasing them sooner. They contain tools for windows and requesters
as well. Also IFF routines and BOB support.

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (09/28/89)

In article <2593@pur-phy> murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) writes:
>I am wondering if anyone has looked at the sources to Vibra, ( a recently
>It seems as though Fred Mitchell used either some homebrewed menu utilities
>or some commercial utilites.  The functions that I refer to are SetMenu,
>SetMenuItem, SetSubItemMenu, ....   These functions are I assume included
>through the Tools.h and probably linkedto an external library.

I have not looked at the Vibra sources myself, but I will always remember seeing
the same kinda thing in an early FISH disk, either #14 or #16 in a program
called PDTerm.  Take a look at the menu tools in there.  For most applications,
they are QUITE sufficient.   What impressed me MOST about the way the author
himself used the menuing functions within his own source code was that
you could actually SEE the structure of the menu by the indenting style
that he chose to use.  Look at it... I can't do it justice here just
from memory.

Rob Peck