[comp.sys.amiga] An inquiry regarding the new Panasonic 3511 floppy drive

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (09/25/89)

    Last spring there was a report of a new floppy drive from
 Panasonic, Model#3511, with some pretty goods stats.
    The 1989 March 13 issue of INFOWORD on page 30 has an article
 "PANASONIC INDUSTRIAL ANNOUNCES LARGE-CAPACITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE"
 written by Patricia Pane.
    Trans-Ami V2-#5, page 8 says:
 +---------
 |   Panasonic has announced an 11 Meg 3.5" floppy! The Panasonic
 | 3511 comes equipped with an embedded SCSI controller that
 | includes a self formatting function. It uses a special metal
 | disk and micro stepping motor to get 640 tracks on the special
 | disks. The controller is also capable of read only operations
 | on a standard 3.5" floppy disk. Averge access time is reported
 | to be 60 ms and track to track time is reported to be less than
 | 10 ms. Production quantities are scheduled to be available by
 | July of this year and the list price is expected to be $250.
 +---------
    In August I wrote to Panasonic, I have not received an answer.
 Panasonic in Canada has not heard of the device.
 The address given in the InfoWorld article is:
        Panasonic Industrial Co.
        Memory Systems Division
        1600 McCandless Drive
        Milpitas, CA 95035
        (408) 262-2200
 +---------
  [end of background;-)]

    Has anybody actually seen one of these?

    <-Harvey

    PS.
    CBM: Yet another reason to get scsidisk.i|h functional...

    "There is nothing to fear, but me." -Pappoon
     Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
         uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
                 a186@mindlink.UUCP

Sentry@cup.portal.com (Marcus Hungor Tran) (09/29/89)

Harvey Taylor wrote:
>Last spring there was a report of a new floppy drive from
>Panasonic, Model#3511, with some pretty good stats.
>(Quotes from INFOWORLD.....)
>Has anybody actually seen one of these?

Yes, this is not vaporware.  It has already been in production
for a few months.  However, a certain powerful company has the exclusive
rights of testing and using these drives in their systems.  According
to sales team handling this product from Panasonic, the general public
won't see this product until November.
The address listed is correct:  Panasonic
                                Memory System Division
                                1600 McCandless Drive
                                Milpitas, CA 95035
                                Phone: (408) 262-2200
Ask for Steve Duffy, the "main manfor JU-3511 drives.
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT TELL him I sent you or he'll kill me.

||| I'm connected with, but do not represent Panasonic, at least |||