[comp.sys.amiga] Say it with SPEAK

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (09/29/89)

In article <1989Sep26.035842.18131@i-core.UUCP>, pete@i-core.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:
> Has anyone thought of doing voice-mail on the Amiga?  I'm not talking about a
> voice-mailbox (although that would be a good idea too), but something similar
> to the NeXT's voice-mail.  I remember reading that it only uses 8 bit samples
> at something like a 20 khz sampling rate.  The Amiga (or the Mac for that
> matter) could handle that with no problem.  It would probably be more of a
> novelty than anything else because of the size of the packets, but it still
> would be pretty cool.

        My idea is to set up a newsreader that strips away all of the header
and .sig lines and pass the actual item to SPEAK. An addition would be to set
up some paramater files for SPEAK for your favourite net.personalities. ( eg.
a "Wolfman Jack" type voice for Peter DaSilva ). When the header lines are
stripped, you check who the poster is and then check to see if there is a
paramater file for that person, or just select a paramater file at random from
about a dozen or so.
        The more ambitious amongst us might try having samples of people on
disk and using them instead of giving SPEAK paramaters. The biggest catch I
see with this is that the sample files will have to be quite large to cover the
range of sounds that would be represented by the text file. And just how do
you say 8-) ? Having the samples on the machine would mean that you only have
to send and receive plain text files ( It keeps the traffic load down ).

--
        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                           Alias: Gareth Bull