[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga zip

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (09/10/89)

Here is a bit of information on the status of the Amiga version of the
zip archiving program.  Summary: don't hold your breath...

Date: 16-Aug-89  03:20 PM
From: Sysop
  To: Harvey Harbicht (X)

As far as Amiga PKZIP is concerned, I am still plodding along.  Everything
boils down to time and my desire to keep improving things.  For the last
month, I have been down-sizing the program.  I have eliminated about a third
of the code but have greatly increased the functionality and error handling
functions.  I have improved the appearance of the program which required that
I move to a custom screen rather than opening ZIP on the main workbench
screen.  This required alot of additional support for user defined colors etc.

I really do not want to predict when ZIP will be out!  The offical V1.0 of the
IBM ZIP is not out yet so there is still plenty of time to make changes.  I
have much to do to add support for data compression and decompression but this
work is proceeding.  Since I did not make my last deadline (due to computer
changes and problems), I do not want to make any suggestions other than it
would make a very nice Christmas present for all of you.  Hopefully, I will
not be saying it will make a very nice Easter present!

Perhaps it will not be necessary for any additional routines to support Amiga
ZIP.  I plan to implement an AREXX interface very soon so it can be driven
externally by sysops.  Wait and see.

Dennis

Date: 19-Aug-89  09:57 AM
From: Leo Garvey
  To: Sysop (X)

I take it I replying to whoever does all of those "PK" utilities?  A quick
question.  What is the big deal about ZIP?

I have unzip'd a few files, but I have to rename them to their proper names
because they seem to only take about 8 characters for a name.  Users have
started to u/l zip versions of files to my bbs.  I banned all zip versions due
to the inconvinience.  Zoo appears to be the compactor of choice with long
file names, subdirectories, and listing abilities.  I zoo'd a few zip files
(after inzipping of course) and the difference in size wasn,t appreciably
different.  What gives?

Date: 20-Aug-89  05:08 PM
From: Sysop
  To: Leo Garvey (X)

Leo, yes, I am one of the programmers behind ZIP.  I am working on the Amiga
version for PKWare.

As far as the files you have seen that have been zipped, you are seeing IBM
created zip files.  People that have both IBMs and Amigas are using the IBM
ZIP to create or repackage Amiga files.  Because they use the IBM version,
they are limited to 8 character filenames and 3 letter extentions.  This is
not an inherent limit in ZIP, just a limit in MS-DOS at this time.

In all versions of ZIP, there can be filenames of unlimited length.  In
addition, each file can have a filenote attached to it to help explain what it
is.  When MS-DOS can support long filenames, the IBM version will be able to
handle the longer names without any changes.

Zip has all of the capabilities of ZOO plus some.  It should be able to
compress files better, be faster, have more options, and support an internal
structure that is more reliable and safer to user.  In the event that a file
is corrupted, it should be possible to reconstruct most of the files.  The
Amiga version will add more options like renameing files without repacking and
editing filenotes for the archive and each file.

While not very practical for Amiga users at this time because there is no
native zipper, when I finish the Amiga version of ZIP, hopefully this will all
change.  ZIP is rapidly becoming the standard compression tool in the IBM
world.  Many of the larger boards have converted all of their files to it.  I
will be converting all zoos and arc files to ZIP when it is ready. I have
assurances of most of the sysops of the large Amiga boards that they too will
convert all of their files.

Dennis

Date: 03-Sep-89  09:23 AM
From: Leo Garvey
  To: Sysop (X)

When do you expect we'll see some of the first completed versions of AmigaZIP?

Date: 05-Sep-89  09:55 AM
From: Sysop
  To: Leo Garvey

I was hoping to have it out by now but it has been delayed for various
reasons.  Most importantly, the delay has been caused by a lack of time and
creeping features.  Now that PKWare has the offical 1.0 version of ZIP out for
the MS-DOS crowd, I will be trying to put more effort into getting the Amiga
version done.  I said recently, that Christmas would be a good target date.
However, if my schedule doesn't improve, it may be later than that.

Dennis

filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) (09/11/89)

In article <1492@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> Jim Wright writes:
>Date: 16-Aug-89  03:20 PM
>From: Sysop
>  To: Harvey Harbicht (X)
[...]
>functions.  I have improved the appearance of the program which required that
>I move to a custom screen rather than opening ZIP on the main workbench
>screen.  This required alot of additional support for user defined colors etc.

What BBS did this stuff come from?  Does this "Sysop" person have an Internet-
reachable address?  Someone tell him that some of us strongly DON'T want an
"improved appearance" or anything like it.  I want a command-line utility like
all the other archivers.  If someone wants a fancy shell around it, one can
easily be written -- as has been done for all the other archivers.  It should
be extra easy if he puts in an AREXX port like he says.

I hope this isn't the guy Phil Katz has doing the "official port"... fooling
around for months making it look [pretty (to him)] ugly.

Bela Lubkin     * *   filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us   CIS: 73047,1112
     @        * *     ...ucbvax!ucscc!gorn!filbo    ^^^  REALLY slow [months]
R Pentomino     *     Filbo @ Pyrzqxgl (408) 476-4633 & XBBS (408) 476-4945

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (09/11/89)

In article <25.filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us> filbo@gorn.santa-cruz.ca.us (Bela Lubkin) writes:
| What BBS did this stuff come from?

From the Safe Harbor BBS.  They have a family mail order outfit for the Amiga.
The number is in their ads (Amiga World, etc).

| Does this "Sysop" person have an Internet-reachable address?

I don't think so, but a lot of folks up that way do seem to have accounts
at the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.  "Sysop" is Dennis Hoffman.

| I hope this isn't the guy Phil Katz has doing the "official port".

It is.  (At least he says he is.  I posted all I know.)  He and PK are
located geographically closely, so I believe it.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

vyrus@altger.UUCP (vyrus) (09/19/89)

I have found this nua (write it down) : 0268005229049
Its a place in which you will find *huge* amounts of program,
ala fish disks, all public domain and shareware, a real delight.
I think it should be the official CATS distribution point, but I do not
know exacly. The regitration is free and you can u}load/download freely
also.

Tell me your impressions and }ienjoy!
--
  OxO       - David Vincenzetti -
===V===   SMART @EUcon: vyrus@crypt.UUCP vyrus@altger.UUCP

I'm sure many of you have seen this article, it raised so many red flags
when I red it that I figure it must be a hoax of some sort. Specifically :

In article <1852@altger.UUCP> vyrus@altger.UUCP (vyrus) writes:

Who is going to trust anyone named "vyrus" which sounds just like
virus, and which is usually trouble.

>I have found this nua (write it down) : 0268005229049

"Found" a "nua", sounds like a hawaiian seafood dish. Although I
happen to know it's an X.25 kind of thing. But it raises the
question of what was being searched for in the first place? Reminds
me of hacking the arpanet and coming up with arbitrary IP addresses
to see who they would connect to. That of course makes me suspect
this is just some hacker wandering around the net, who happened
to find a node with little or no ice.

>Its a place in which you will find *huge* amounts of program,
>ala fish disks, all public domain and shareware, a real delight.

And what do you know, there is a pot of gold here.

>I think it should be the official CATS distribution point, but I do not
>know exacly. The regitration is free and you can u}load/download freely
>also.

Let's throw in the CATS name, maybe it will sound more offical, even
though of course it isn't. And get you can get all of this stuff for
free like it was a public service and yet no one seems to have
advertised it as a public service.

>Tell me your impressions and }ienjoy!

Well this is my impression: A person who's login name sounds like a
hangover from a cheap tryst tells you about a psuedo secret place that
has lots of programs, one of which is bound to interest you that you
can download for "free."

Being the cautious sort I'd guess that there were a bunch of virus
laden programs lying in wait on this node and why don't you download
load on and give it a place to live in your system.

>--
>  OxO       - David Vincenzetti -
>===V===   SMART @EUcon: vyrus@crypt.UUCP vyrus@altger.UUCP
>  !^!     BANG: uunet!pyramid!tmpmbx!{vyrus@crypt | vyrus@altger}
>  ^ ^         [Keywords: amiga hack cipher security]

Hmmm, "amiga", "hack", "cipher", and "security." If I were playing
Jeopardy I would answer "What four areas should one know well to
write a clever virus for the Amiga personal computer?"

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

vyrus@altger.UUCP (vyrus) (09/29/89)

Chuck, lay off!

I asked you nothing, I thought it could be *nice* for many amigoids to
know where to download good C sources.

Please do not attack me this way again. Simply stay home. Goodbye.