[comp.sys.amiga] LaTeX is not TeX

jcj@gistdev.UUCP (Jeff Jones) (09/29/89)

In article <4334@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:

>In article <1855@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) writes:
>
>>Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
>>like WordPerfect be better?
>
> I wouldn't recommend TeX for writing the book, but I would recommend
>LaTeX!  LaTeX has all the power of TeX, but it is much easier to use
>and understand. [rest deleted]

I'm sorry, but LaTeX does _not_ have all the power of TeX.  I used TeX for
two years in a technical textbook publishing house, and got used to the
ability to write my own page layout routines, fudge things a few points
for page balancing; basically writing all my own macros from scratch.

I've never used LaTeX directly, but have done TeX consulting for people
who do;  LaTeX is probably better for the novice TeXie, because it _is_
easier to learn.  What I've found, however, is that once you know what you
are doing, LaTeX is too restrictive, and you have to bypass the supplied
macros to reach the power of TeX.

This isn't a flame on LaTeX, and, in fact, if you've never used raw TeX,
it will probably work wonders for you; if you (or your publisher) will
demand perfection, tho, use TeX.

--
Jeff Jones / GIST, Inc. / 1800 Woodfield Dr. / Savoy, IL 61874 / (217) 352-1165
ARPANET: jcj%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu