[comp.sys.amiga] Where can I get AmigaTeX

ajahn@digi.UUCP (Alfredo Jahn) (09/15/89)

Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of AmigaTeX.
This is a port of Knuth's TeX program.  I read an article in
AmigaPLUS magazine (Aug/Sep '89) about Stanford University
using lots of Amigas to run TeX and ARexx.  There was no
mention on how to get a copy of it.   Hope someone can help.

Please send E-MAIL to ...attctc!digi!ajahn  since I don't
spend alot of time reading the net.  (for now...)

Alfredo Jahn - (214) 855-1317 - Dallas TX

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/16/89)

In article <221@digi.UUCP> ajahn@digi.UUCP (Alfredo Jahn) writes:
>Does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of AmigaTeX.
>This is a port of Knuth's TeX program.  I read an article in
>AmigaPLUS magazine (Aug/Sep '89) about Stanford University

AmigaTeX is a product of Radical Eye Software. I don't have the number
here off hand but they are listed in various Buyer's Guides.

AmigaTeX may well be one of the very best TeX implementations on a
personal computer. We have used it for all large document production
at ASDG for almost two years.

We have found Radical Eye to be very responsive and very supportive.
More than once they've gone beyond the call of duty in supporting our
needs.

AmigaTeX is one of the few Amiga products I would unreservedly endorse
as being worth every penny it costs.

pk

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/24/89)

In article <856@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>We have found Radical Eye to be very responsive and very supportive.
>More than once they've gone beyond the call of duty in supporting our
>needs.

Amen.  Having never used TeX before on even a small project, when I
needed to format an entire multi-chapter manual with the usual table
of contents, index, etc, Tom was VERY helpful.  I had read the TeXBook
but was still having some problems.

>AmigaTeX is one of the few Amiga products I would unreservedly endorse
>as being worth every penny it costs.

Ditto!  It's amazingly stable and robust for such a large product, and
the support is superb.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) (09/28/89)

Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
like WordPerfect be better?

    Brad Pepers

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (09/28/89)

In article <1855@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) writes:

>Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
>like WordPerfect be better?

 I wouldn't recommend TeX for writing the book, but I would recommend
LaTeX!  LaTeX has all the power of TeX, but it is much easier to use
and understand.  LaTeX was written by Leslie Lamport and can be found
a some computer stores.  Most likely you should goto a college
bookstore to look for it.  Or you can post a message on Comp.text and
ask for more info.

You can get LaTeX (and TeX, SliTeX, BibTeX, etc...) from Tom Rockiki
of Radical Eye Software, and I'm sorry but I don't have their address.
Good luck!

John

Oh, remember that LaTeX is not WYSIWYG, it is a "Document Preparation
System" program.  More LaTeX info...

"LaTeX: A document Preparation System" by Leslie Lamport, ISBN
0-201-15790-X, published by Addison-Wesley Publishing Company.

--
John Stoffel        | john@wpi.bitnet    | What can you expect of a day
WPI, Box 2432       | john@wpi.wpi.edu   | that begins with getting up

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/29/89)

In article <1855@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cs-sun-fa.UUCP (Bradley Pepers) writes:

>Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
>like WordPerfect be better?
>
>    Brad Pepers

You don't way what kind of book.  If it contains tables, graphs,
charts, mathematics, then it might be worth it to use TeX.  If it is
pretty much straight text (you did say NOT a manual) then I don't think
it would be worth it unless you're already very comfortable with TeX.
Certainly it isn't worth it (IMHO) to learn TeX from scratch simply for
the purpose of typesetting straight text.

I'm speaking as someone who learned LaTeX in order to typeset a thesis
with a fair number of cited references, cross-references, tables,
figures, and mathematics, (for which it was invaluable);  and now that
that's over I'm kind of relieved that I can go back to something
"simple" like WordPerfect when I have simple (compared to a thesis)
writing to do.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

fred@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Fred Whiteside) (09/29/89)

In article <19781@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <1855@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cs-sun-fa.UUCP (Bradley Pepers) writes:
>>
>>Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
>>like WordPerfect be better?
>>
>>    Brad Pepers

[...]
>Certainly it isn't worth it (IMHO) to learn TeX from scratch simply for
>the purpose of typesetting straight text.
>
>I'm speaking as someone who learned LaTeX in order to typeset a thesis
>with a fair number of cited references, cross-references, tables,
>figures, and mathematics, (for which it was invaluable);  and now that
>that's over I'm kind of relieved that I can go back to something
>"simple" like WordPerfect when I have simple (compared to a thesis)
>writing to do.
>
>--
>Eric Kennedy
>ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

	I would like to go on record as having an opinion that is
 diametrically opposed to Eric's. I learner TeX and LaTeX for precisely
 the same reasons that he did; to prepare a thesis. I now tend to use
 LaTeX for {\em all} documents that I prepare, including simple memos. Once
 one gets used to the quality of the documents prepared using LaTeX and
 TeX, it is difficult to go back.

	By all accounts, Tom Rokicki's implementation of TeX and LaTeX
 for the Amiga is the premiere implementation and well worth purchasing.
 (I have the demo, but was waiting for some cash flow before purchasing.)

	I would recommend LaTeX and TeX for your book.

	Cheers,
	Fred Whiteside    fred@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (09/29/89)

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:
   >You can get LaTeX (and TeX, SliTeX, BibTeX, etc...) from Tom Rockiki
   >of Radical Eye Software, and I'm sorry but I don't have their address.

Tom (and thusly RES) can be reached via E- or Snail mail.

	1) rokicki@polya.stanford.edu
	2) Radical Eye Software
	   Box 2081
	   Stanford, CA  94309

AmigaTeX comes highly recommended if not for what it does (*TeX) then the
quality of the product and the support!

			-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

ccplumb@rose.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (09/29/89)

In article <1855@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cs-sun-fa.UUCP (Bradley Pepers) writes:

>Would anyone recomend TeX for writing a book (NOT a manual)? Or would a WP
>like WordPerfect be better?

It does, as others have pointed out, depend on the book.  A novel isn't too
demanding of the typesetting software.  But, as Knuth says, TeX is designed
for books.  Its utility for smaller things is nice, but many people complain,
with some justification, that it's too much hassle to get TeX set up for
a page or two.  In a longer work, the setup cost is proportionally less,
and TeX makes it very easy to fine-tune the layout.  The more attention you
plan to pay to appearance, the better TeX is, since it gives more control
than a word processor.

I don't use LaTeX myself, mostly due to laziness: I never could be bothered
to figure it out.  If I need three-column output at some time, I'll probably
learn rather than write my own output routines, but I can't comment on the
relative ease of using the two.  Plain TeX works fine for me.

(Actually, I have this mad dream of rewriting TeX to give it a saner
programming language, but that'll happen when the rich uncle I didn't
know about becasue I was adopted and never told dies...:-})
--
	-Colin