[comp.sys.amiga] What the hell is this?

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (09/27/89)

I have awful trouble with something:

A normal session on my Amiga looks like this:  Workbench open, hires
interlace overscan, JRComm, the same, Sculpt Animate 4D, unfortunately NOT
hires interlace overscan.

Now, when I shuffle the screens either with left Amiga-M resp.  N or using
the screen gadgets, it happens quite often that suddenly one of the
interlace screens is suddenly non-interlace in resolution or even less
(yes, then about 180 instead of 256 lines visible).  After this happens, I
can try whatever I want, the machine hangs.  Nothing works.

I use MachII V2.4, but had the same problems (and more) when I was using
QMouse1.6.

This really teases me, since I have to reboot the Amiga very often, and of
course always when I've been downloading 299 of 300K.

I've already tried to switch the Workbench back to no overscan, but it
didn't help.

Any ideas?

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (09/29/89)

In article <0264.AA0264@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com writes:
>Now, when I shuffle the screens either with left Amiga-M resp.  N or using
>the screen gadgets, it happens quite often that suddenly one of the
>interlace screens is suddenly non-interlace in resolution or even less
>(yes, then about 180 instead of 256 lines visible).  After this happens, I
>can try whatever I want, the machine hangs.  Nothing works.

  This is a well known bug in the Amiga OS (in Intuition, I think).
Having more than one interlace screen open at the same time as one
or more non-interlaced screens is inviting disaster. That this was
not fixed in 1.3 is somewhat amazing. But there is a patch available
called FixIntuition.  You run it in your startup-sequence and it
patches Intuition.  I'm using it, but I haven't actually checked to
see if it fixes the problem since I rarely open multiple interlace
screens. I downloaded the patch from BIX, but it is probably available
via FTP from somewhere.

>Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com

  Jim