[comp.sys.amiga] VT100 Emulator/Hard Drive Problems

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (09/13/89)

--------
I have the latest version of VT100 off a Fred Fish Disk and am having
a small problem. I have been running it with no problem off a floppy disk.
Last week I bought an 80MB Quantum drive and Hardframe 2000.

The problem is this: I copied the files for VT100 into a directory on my
hard drive, now it won't run. It rolls up the window and then rolls it back
down again with the error: "can't open Read device". What's the deal? I can
still put in the floppy and run it that way. Do I need to assign something
specially or anything like that? Does anyone have any ideas?

I tried to e-mail my question to the author: Tony Sumrall acs@amahl.com, but
the mail choked on me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- Sean Schur

sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Simon Raybould) (09/14/89)

>The problem is this: I copied the files for VT100 into a directory on my
>hard drive, now it won't run. It rolls up the window and then rolls it back
>down again with the error: "can't open Read device". What's the deal? I can

I assume that you only copied the files in the VT100 drawer.

You also need arp.library in SYS:libs (where ever your SYS: directory is)
This may be defined as LIBS:

Also you need the j132 font in FONTS: (SYS:fonts).

If you are booting to the hard disk, then this will be your SYS: device.
In this case, you will need to make sure that the serial handler is in

      SYS:devs

|      #                                            Simon Raybould          |
|     # #    #    #     #     ####     ##                                   |
|    #   #   ##  ##     #    #    #   #  #          B.T.Fulcrum             |
|   #     #  # ## #     #    #       #    #         CS4.2                   |
|   #######  #    #     #    #  ###  ######         Birmingham              |
|   #     #  #    #     #    #    #  #    #                                 |
|   #     #  #    #     #     ####   #    #   path: sie@fulcrum.bt.co.uk    |
|                                                                           |

acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (09/29/89)

:
:I assume that you only copied the files in the VT100 drawer.
:
:You also need arp.library in SYS:libs (where ever your SYS: directory is)
:This may be defined as LIBS:
:
:Also you need the j132 font in FONTS: (SYS:fonts).

Note that this is NOT true for the "original" VT100 program (by Dave
Wecker et al).  I believe that the above statements are true for a
derivative work.

:|      #                                            Simon Raybould          |
--
Tony Sumrall acs@pccuts.pcc.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!pccuts!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]