[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga <=> C64/128 Transfers

jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) (09/26/89)

I would like to know if any one has had success in directly connecting
a C64 or C128 to an Amiga.  If so, could some one provide me with the
necessary pinouts to make a cable for such a connection and with any
transfer software or the names of any terminal programs used in
facilitating the transfer.

I have numerous files, mostly ascii, that I would like to move over to
my Amiga.  I am planning on parting with my C128 as soon as I can get
some software ported over to the Amiga that is currently only running
on the 128.  I hope to put out a call for offers on my system within
the next couple of months, once I have transfered any necessary files
over to my 2000.

Thanks for any help.

					Jon

Jonathan R. Wahlmann		Harris Corp - Broadcast Div - Quincy, IL
(W) (217) 222-8200, x3619	quintro!bpdsun1!jrw@lll-winken.llnl.gov
(H) (217) 224-6918	 	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!jrw

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (09/28/89)

In article <1989Sep26.130937.8728@bpdsun1.uucp>, jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) writes:

> I would like to know if any one has had success in directly connecting
> a C64 or C128 to an Amiga.  If so, could some one provide me with the
> necessary pinouts to make a cable for such a connection and with any
> transfer software or the names of any terminal programs used in
> facilitating the transfer.
>
> I have numerous files, mostly ascii, that I would like to move over to
> my Amiga.  I am planning on parting with my C128 as soon as I can get
> some software ported over to the Amiga that is currently only running
> on the 128.  I hope to put out a call for offers on my system within
> the next couple of months, once I have transfered any necessary files
> over to my 2000.
>
> 					Jon
> (W) (217) 222-8200, x3619	quintro!bpdsun1!jrw@lll-winken.llnl.gov
> (H) (217) 224-6918	 	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!jrw

I do a lot of this.  The absolutely easiest thing for you to do
is to get the ReadySoft C64 Emulator II which comes with a
speecial cable that connects a standard 1541 type disk drive to
the Amiga Parallel port.  There is a program included called
"Transfer" that will read and write to and from the 1541, even
does PetSCII to Ascii conversion if requested.  It works
perfectly, I've transferred many Megabytes with it.

The C64 Emulator itself bites the big one, but the cable and
Transfer program are worth the price.

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

jenglish@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Jim English) (09/29/89)

In article <1989Sep26.130937.8728@bpdsun1.uucp> jrw@bpdsun1.UUCP (Jon Wahlmann) writes:

>I would like to know if any one has had success in directly connecting
>a C64 or C128 to an Amiga.  If so, could some one provide me with the
>necessary pinouts to make a cable for such a connection and with any
>transfer software or the names of any terminal programs used in
>facilitating the transfer.

What I did, was to simply hook the two computers
together via RS232. I ran a terminal program on
each computer, and Xmodem'd the files across.
It was slow, but it worked.
--
Jim English    MD-IPC   | JENGLISH@F74.TYMNET.COM or jenglish@tardis.tymnet.com
(214)637-7406  Dallas   | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jenglish

marco@hprnd.HP.COM (Marco Gonzalez) (09/30/89)

>I would like to know if any one has had success in directly connecting
>a C64 or C128 to an Amiga.  If so, could some one provide me with the
>necessary pinouts to make a cable for such a connection and with any
>transfer software or the names of any terminal programs used in
>facilitating the transfer.

 On the C-64/128 side, you will need an RS-232 interface (JAMECO electronics
sells one) and with a normal RS-232 cable and two terminal programs (one
for ecah computer) you can do this.
 I don't have terminal programs(s) for C-64/128, so I used BASIC on
both machines to write a little (very little) and simple program to
do this chore.

	Good luck!
		Marco Gonzalez