[comp.sys.amiga] Hewlett-Packard roumors...

UD158339@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Glen) (09/27/89)

     What is the deal with H-P and the Amiga? From what i understand H-P
is interested in buying out the machine. Is there any truth to these roumors,
and what effect will it have on all of us Amiga owners?

Color me curious and confused...

                Glen

In article <2837UD158339@NDSUVM1> UD158339@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Glen) writes:
>     What is the deal with H-P and the Amiga? From what i understand H-P
>is interested in buying out the machine.

Not *Amiga*, HP bought *Apollo*. Sure they both start with "A", I could
how you might get confused. :-)

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

keithh@atreus.uucp (Keith Hanlan) (09/28/89)

In article <2837UD158339@NDSUVM1> UD158339@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Glen) writes:
>     What is the deal with H-P and the Amiga? From what i understand H-P
>is interested in buying out the machine. Is there any truth to these roumors,
>and what effect will it have on all of us Amiga owners?

	I'd be more than surprised. HP just bought Apollo and there
	was a recent announcement of a US$4000 workstation along with
	some impressive graphics workhorses. I'd fail to see where HP
	would position the Amiga - there's no link between a $2000 amiga
	and their $4000 workstation.

	Also doesn't HP also have PC-oriented micros?

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (09/28/89)

In article <125372@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
| In article <2837UD158339@NDSUVM1> UD158339@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Glen) writes:
| >     What is the deal with H-P and the Amiga? From what i understand H-P
| >is interested in buying out the machine.
|
| Not *Amiga*, HP bought *Apollo*. Sure they both start with "A", I could
| how you might get confused. :-)

No, really, HP saw Apollo's Aegis OS and decided they now want an A-machine
with a *real* OS.

[Note: no :-) regarding Aegis]

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (09/28/89)

writes:
| >     What is the deal with H-P and the Amiga? From what i understand
H-P
| >is interested in buying out the machine.

  I read in some magzine, Info I think, that there is a rumor
circulating about an H-P buyout of Commodore itself.  Personally, I
don't think anything will come of it.
				- Steve -

phao172@ut-emx.UUCP (Randy M. Roberts) (09/29/89)

In article <1568@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (Jim Wright) writes:
>In article <125372@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>
>No, really, HP saw Apollo's Aegis OS and decided they now want an A-machine
>with a *real* OS.
>
>[Note: no :-) regarding Aegis]
>
>--
>Jim Wright
>jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

I used to work daily on Apollos.  There Just-Like-Real-Unix DOMAIN-IX
SR10.1 is anything but Just-Like-Real-Unix.  I hope Apollo (Uh, er HP)
gets on the ball and puts a real unix on the machine.  BTW, AEGIS is
being phased out in favor of DOMAIN-IX, better late than never.

Regards,
Randy
Randy M. Roberts
phao172@emx.utexas.edu

a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) (09/29/89)

From what I have heard it is just a roomer based on a caption type suggesting
something like "pictured here on the HP-Amiga Screen" I have never found anyone
who knew anything more detailed.
--

RSI-where WEDGES come from  |||   Please note our new Address and Phone
and VCR Streamer Soon Too...|X|   Number .....

moynihan_r@apollo.HP.COM (Robert Moynihan) (09/29/89)

*

phao172@emx.utexas.edu  (Randy M. Roberts) writes:

> I used to work daily on Apollos. There Just-Like-Real-Unix DOMAIN-IX
> SR10.1 is anything but Just-Like-Real-Unix.  I hope Apollo (Uh, er HP)
> gets on the ball and puts a real unix on the machine.  BTW AEGIS is
> being phased out in favor of DOMAIN-IX, better late than never.

Interesting.  Our SysV.3 unix environment is SVID compliant, and you say
it's not Just-Like-Real-Unix.  If it's SVID compliant, it IS real unix.
Maybe the problem is that the flavor of unix you're USED to isn't
Just-Like-Real-Unix.  Oh well, who can say.  But if AT&T's testing
procedures say Domain/OS is real unix, it's real unix.

Oh, by the way, at SR10.n, there is no such thing as DOMAIN-IX.  There
is only Domain/OS, which can contain AEGIS, SysV.3, or BSD4.3, or any
combination you choose.  At SR10.n, unix is part of the kernal, so
the unix commands are not 'wrapped around' AEGIS.  No matter what the
salesreps of our Sometimes Uninformed Neighbors might say.

I've heard nothing about HP buying Commodore, but if they did, I'd love
it.  I want to buy an Amiga 2000HD, and I'd love to get it at employee's
discount prices.  I was going to get a Vectra, but once you've gotten
used to a workstation, why would you ever want to use a 'mere' PC again?
(Multi-tasking is addictive.)

Bob Moynihan             Disclaimer: I don't speak for Apollo Systems
Apollo Systems Division              Division or for Hewlett-Packard Co.
Hewlett-Packard Co.                  I only speak for myself.

In article <45ee2d75.d3a6@apollo.HP.COM> (Robert Moynihan) writes:
->Interesting.  Our SysV.3 unix environment is SVID compliant, and you say
->it's not Just-Like-Real-Unix.  If it's SVID compliant, it IS real unix.

Then, in article <45ee8549.71d0@apollo.HP.COM> (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
->I suspect it would be easier for us (HP/Apollo) to bring the price of
->our products down to ~$3K than it would be for Commodore to bring the
->features of a ~$3K Amiga up to workstation standards, at least where
->networking & available "workstationish" software are concerned.  The
->new HP/Apollo DN2500, for example of a "cheap" '030 box, is right at
->~$4K without a hard-disk.

Interestingly enough, the Amiga 2500 (is that serendipity or what?) can
(and does) run SVID compliant SysV.3, and similarly equipped to the
DN2500 (you need to add the Hi-res mono monitor and ethernet card to
the Amiga and a disk to the DN2500) it prices out fairly competitivly.
(and I bet Commodore's margins are better because they already have a
 million Amigas out)

They aren't as far away as you might think.