[comp.sys.amiga] suggestion for JimM

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (09/20/89)

I tried to mail this to jimm, but it bounced.  Maybe others on the net
are interested to comment:

In article <4506@amiga.UUCP> jimm writes:
>There are some open areas, though, and creative ideas are always welcome
>(especially the ones that can be expressed in a few sentences ;^).

I'm glad you said that, because I have a suggestion.

It would be really nice if some later (1.4????) version of console
windows supported copying text from earlier in the window (or another
console window), like SNIPIT or TSNIP.  But rather than (or in addition
to) using the usual two-step copy/paste approach, how about using
Xerox's one-step approach:  if you press a modifier key (say ALT) while
selecting the text, when you release the ALT key, the text is treated as
if it was just typed.  If you haven't selected anything when the key is
released, nothing happens.  (A little different than Sun's approach.)

Using this approach, all you have to do is find what you want to insert,
press the alt key with one hand and select the text to insert with the
other, and release the alt.  With the copy/paste approach, you find what
you want to copy, select it, hit the copy key (or, worse, menu item),
find where you want to insert it, click there, and hit the paste key.
There's a big difference in the utility of the two approaches.

I think this could be accomplished (with Commodities Exchange?) by mapping
events in the following way:

    Left mouse goes down with ALT down:	    clear selection; begin selection
    Left mouse goes up with ALT down:	    put selection into cut buffer
    Mouse moves with ALT down:		    highlight selection
    ALT goes up with left mouse down:	    clear selection; clear highlight
    ALT goes up with left mouse up:	    paste selection; clear highlight

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (09/21/89)

In article <1258@quintus.UUCP> pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) writes:
)I tried to mail this to jimm, but it bounced.  Maybe others on the net
)are interested to comment:

)It would be really nice if some later (1.4????) version of console
)windows supported copying text from earlier in the window (or another
)console window), like SNIPIT or TSNIP.  But rather than (or in addition
)to) using the usual two-step copy/paste approach, how about using
)Xerox's one-step approach:  if you press a modifier key (say ALT) while
)selecting the text, when you release the ALT key, the text is treated as
)if it was just typed.  If you haven't selected anything when the key is
)released, nothing happens.  (A little different than Sun's approach.)
)--
)-Peter Schachte
)pds@quintus.uucp
)...!sun!quintus!pds

Message received and forwarded to proper guy(s).
Nice one: I have a slightly different problem with sun-style.  I clip
something I'm going to use again and again, and have to reach
for the mouse to paste it each time.  At least you can do shift-rightbutton
rather than wait for the pig-slow menus to pop up, but I'd still
rather do a keyboard paste, which I think is what the new Amiga console
has today (in development-land).

We'll be sure to look at the suggested method; thanks for sending.

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/22/89)

From article <1258@quintus.UUCP>, by pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte):
> It would be really nice if some later (1.4????) version of console
> windows supported copying text from earlier in the window (or another
> console window), like SNIPIT or TSNIP.  But rather than (or in addition
> to) using the usual two-step copy/paste approach, how about using
> Xerox's one-step approach:  if you press a modifier key (say ALT) while
> selecting the text, when you release the ALT key, the text is treated as
> if it was just typed.  If you haven't selected anything when the key is
> released, nothing happens.  (A little different than Sun's approach.)

     That approach would work fine if you wanted to copy text from earlier
in the window.  But I can already do that with the shell by pressing the up
arrow.  It would be more useful to be able to copy text from one window and
paste it in another.  I don't see how you would do that with the modifier
key approach.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte) (09/30/89)

In article <756@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
->From article <1258@quintus.UUCP>, by pds@quintus.UUCP (Peter Schachte):
copying text from a console window:
->> Xerox's one-step approach:  if you press a modifier key (say ALT) while
->> selecting the text, when you release the ALT key, the text is treated as
->> if it was just typed.

->It would be more useful to be able to copy text from one window and
->paste it in another.  I don't see how you would do that with the modifier
->key approach.

I guess I don't see the problem.  When the ALT key goes up, the selected
text is forced into the input stream, as if it were typed.  You
substitute a whole bunch of key down and key up events for the single
ALT key up event.

SNIPIT and TSNIP work now, only they don't use the one-step approach.  I
don't see why they couldn't work this way.  Maybe one of the authors
could comment?

--
-Peter Schachte
pds@quintus.uucp