[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet and NET:

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (06/02/89)

Well, I have a question...anyone using NET: from Software Distillery??
I have been using it for a couple of days and have had some success and
a few headaches...I have the version from May-9 (dated in the zoo file)

Anyone have any bug fixes/updates to this nice piece of software??

Oh, I got the software from Plink and have not seen it in comp.*.amiga...

Thanks,
bob

--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (06/04/89)

From article <6873@medusa.cs.purdue.edu:, by wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff):
: Well, I have a question...anyone using NET: from Software Distillery??
: I have been using it for a couple of days and have had some success and
: a few headaches...I have the version from May-9 (dated in the zoo file)

	I've been using NET: for a while now, and seem to have it working
well with no extra 'features'... What kinds of problems are you having? The
only thing I've run into is that DNet seems to be less than reliable at
baud rates in excess of 19.2K.

: Anyone have any bug fixes/updates to this nice piece of software??

	I believe Doug had something newer in the works, but the 5/9
release is the newest thing he's posted.

: Oh, I got the software from Plink and have not seen it in comp.*.amiga...

	I believe that the beta version has only been posted directly to
PLink so far. Although I'm sure it's made it's way to many BBSes and
other services.

: Thanks,
: bob
:
: --
: -=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-
:
: /*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!blowpig!billsey

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (06/06/89)

From article <1515@agora.UUCP>, by billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour):
> 	[....] I've been using NET: for a while now, and seem to have it working
> well with no extra 'features'... What kinds of problems are you having? The
> only thing I've run into is that DNet seems to be less than reliable at
> baud rates in excess of 19.2K.
>  [....]

Well, the problems I was having was 'read/write' errors, but I *FINALLY*
tracked it down to 19.2Kbaud...it seems pretty reliable at 9600, but
really slow...is there a particular reason for 'ExNext()' (ie. dir/ls)
to take so long over net:?? Once a 'copy' gets rolling, it seems pretty
fast, but getting it started and finding the file takes forever...

Has anyone used the 'netstat' command with any luck? I cant seem to get it
to spit anything out on that window that it opens up...  :(

Anyway, nice software...I hope they continue with it...it's just what the
doctor ordered...  :-)

bob

--

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (06/09/89)

In article <1515@agora.UUCP> billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) writes:
>	I've been using NET: for a while now, and seem to have it working
>well with no extra 'features'... What kinds of problems are you having? The
>only thing I've run into is that DNet seems to be less than reliable at
>baud rates in excess of 19.2K.

We've found DNET to deteriorate at speeds in excess of 9600 baud but only
over the Amiga's own serial port. Of course, this is not attributable to
DNET as most applications will suffer when trying to do sustained high speed
receives over the Amiga serial port.

On our own serial ports we've enjoyed reliable DNET performance at 76800
baud so we can safely say there's nothing inherently limiting in DNET or
its protocols.

We've had experience only with the earlier versions of NET: and found
that these early versions had some problems of their own. We're looking
forward to picking up the newest version at DevCon. See you there.

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (06/11/89)

From article <6891@medusa.cs.purdue.edu:, by wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff):
: Well, the problems I was having was 'read/write' errors, but I *FINALLY*
: tracked it down to 19.2Kbaud...it seems pretty reliable at 9600, but
: really slow...is there a particular reason for 'ExNext()' (ie. dir/ls)
: to take so long over net:?? Once a 'copy' gets rolling, it seems pretty
: fast, but getting it started and finding the file takes forever...

	I believe it was someting to do with the OS grabbing a very small
number of bytes at a time. That causes the drive to re-seek for each header.
(I may be all wrong about this though... I hadn't had my coffee yet when
I was listening to the reasons... :-})

: Has anyone used the 'netstat' command with any luck? I cant seem to get it
: to spit anything out on that window that it opens up...  :(

	Hmm, I'll try the version he released. I know my earlier one showed
info on the screen...

: Anyway, nice software...I hope they continue with it...it's just what the
: doctor ordered...  :-)
:
: bob
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!blowpig!billsey
     Creative Microsystems   Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes
     (503) 691-2552          (503) 656-7393 BBS       (503) 640-0842

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (10/01/89)

Just recently I purchased a second Amiga (an A2000 with a GVP 030 board) and
decided I wanted to network amigash with my new system.  (amigash is an
A1000)  After installing dnet on both systems as per the instructions
I had to go back to all the net articles detailing problems and such.
From those I got the cliterm up and running.  From there it was fairly
trivial to install NET: on both systems. (actually did the installation on
both systems from the A2000 using dnet :-) )

Anyways after installing everything net: was up and running.  One question
I do have is a network icon pops up under workbench but does not allow
WB access.  (get an empty window when the network icon is opened)
Also how come a directory called foo is used to hide the remote systems
devices?

I also used netmount to mount the remote systems harddrive resources,
netmount net: dh0 dh0:

Strange thing is when I do a dir net:dh0 I get a stripped down version of what
is actually on the remote systems dh0.  If I do a dir of net:foo I get
the entire contents listed.  Any reason for this?

One last thing, now that I have my serial ports consumed by the LLAN
(Little Local Area Network <grin>) which would be the best course, get
one of the multi-serial port boards, or get the internal modem for the
A2000?  Would like some comments on this if you have experience with both
or either.  (email would be best if possible)

Oh yeah, I have noticed a lot of traffic about another NET: that runs over
the parrallel ports.  Anybody know if there are any multi-parrallel port
boards for the Amiga yet?

Thanks!

--
          _
    ///  /_\         	Scot L. Harris    !hoptoad!peora!tarpit!amigash!scot