[comp.sys.amiga] Yet another weird problem; DOS thinking floppy was ejected.

In <12790@s.ms.uky.edu>, phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>     And I have a weird printer with a not-quite-standard Centronics
>port hooked up and turned off. (I had to alter a standard cable to make
>it work... anybody know why Tandy would output +5VDC on what is SUPPOSED
>to be a ground?

If that's pin 18 you are talking about, it is supposed to output +5V or be
ground. Depends on the printer.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (09/29/89)

Hey -
     The continuing saga of the AIR drive... continues. I got a new replacement
drive in the mail today - and it DOESN'T MAKE WRITE ERRORS! Happy, happy,
happy. However, three times during the copying of some 1400+ files (yes,
I gave this one a really, really, really solid checkout) AmigaDOS reported
that I had ejected the diskette and gave me the standard "You MUST!!! replace
volume (so in so) in unit 1!!!" requester. I hit "retry" and it went on as
though nothing had happened.
     Question: I'm running WB1.3; I haven't upgraded to 1.3.2 yet (although
I did get it from PeopleLink; thanks C-A; haven't had time). Could this be
a weird trackdisk problem? If not, could it be something else in software?
Or do I >STILL< not have a really correct external drive after months of
trying?
     Setup: A500, 1.2ROM, 1.3 WB, 1 meg RAM (A501), a few C commands resident;
FF running with the PEARL font; printers, modem, and monitor hooked up.
                                                         - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) (09/29/89)

[ some stuff about an AIR drive causing "you must replace ..." requesters]

I have seen the above behaviour on a Prodrive. I don't think it is the
drive's fault at all. Let me explain.

When I first got my system (500, monitor, A501, printer), I shopped around for
an external drive and got a Prodrive, because it was cheap - 200 bucks 1.5 yrs
ago. then the problem started - "You MUST replace volume FOO in BLAH" or
something like that. Take it to the dealer. Nothing. Take it home - boom, it
happened again. I finally isolated (after buying a disk drive pwr supply on
the advice of my dealer) the cause of the problem - my printer. It seems that
when i have my printer attached, but turned off, I get the requester. No
problems as long as the printer is disconnected or on. More specifically, it's
probably my printer cable, but i don't use my printer much, so i never
investigated.

For what it's worth.

Rick Forrest.

In article <5153@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> rickfor@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Forrest) writes:
>Then the problem started - "You MUST replace volume FOO in BLAH" or
>something like that...
>I finally isolated... the cause of the problem - my printer. It seems that
>when i have my printer attached, but turned off, I get the requester. No
>problems as long as the printer is disconnected or on.
>Rick Forrest.
     And I have a weird printer with a not-quite-standard Centronics
port hooked up and turned off. (I had to alter a standard cable to make
it work... anybody know why Tandy would output +5VDC on what is SUPPOSED
to be a ground? It's a Tandy DWP-230 that I've got emulating an IBM
Wheelwriter - Tandy mode was buggy.)
     I think this might do it; I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.
                                                     - R'ykandar.

--

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/01/89)

In article <12788@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
:     The continuing saga of the AIR drive...
: However, three times during the copying of some 1400+ files (yes,
:I gave this one a really, really, really solid checkout) AmigaDOS reported
:that I had ejected the diskette and gave me the standard "You MUST!!! replace
:volume (so in so) in unit 1!!!" requester. I hit "retry" and it went on as
:though nothing had happened.

That happened to me for the first (and only) time yesterday, as I was using
MRBackup to copy 20 megabytes to DF3:, which is Commodore A1010 drive.
I am running 1.3.2 on an A2000.  I wonder if it is heat related - when I
remove the floppy from DF3: it is usually quite warm.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms