[comp.sys.amiga] cheap disk drives

sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) (11/02/87)

Is there anyone working on a controller to allow the use of IBM type
disk drives on the Amiga? I've seen the drives VERY cheap -

 10 mb less controller $98
 20 mb w/controller $268

Granted, its not much storage and it's not as fast as SCSI, but it would
hold WB, C dev disks, some source, and a few games.

 How much (and how big) are the drives for a 2000?

--
            Jim Sims
            Space Telescope Science Institute

papa@uscacsc.UUCP (Marco Papa) (11/08/87)

All IBM-type disks used in the XT/AT models are compatible with the A2000.
These are ST506 drives.  Only problem you need half-height drives, while
most IBM clones use full-height.  Prices are going down rather sharply.
The best deal I have seen is for 42 Meg Miniscribe 3650 5 1/4 half-height
for $349 in either PC-Week or PC-magazine.  Lots of mail-orders will sell
it for $399 with the IBM controller that you need only if you have the
bridge card, and throw away if you have the A2090 Commodore hard disk
controller.  If you want just 20 Meg, bet prices are around $299, so you'll
be better off with getting larger models (if you have the extra $100).

-- Marco Papa
   Felsina Software

P.S.:
The Miniscribe 3650 has an access time of 61 msec with one partition,
and 42 msec. if subdivided in two equal partitions.

bakken@tahoma.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <73@mithras>, sims@stsci.EDU (Jim Sims) writes:
> Is there anyone working on a controller to allow the use of IBM type
> disk drives on the Amiga? I've seen the drives VERY cheap -
>
> [etc]
>
> Granted, its not much storage and it's not as fast as SCSI, but it would
> hold WB, C dev disks, some source, and a few games.

How much faster is SCSI compared with ST506?   And how cheap (relative
term) are 40-80 MB SCSI drives getting?  Thanks for any responses.

--
Dave Bakken
Boeing Commercial Airplane Company

rad@masscomp.UUCP (Bob Doolittle) (11/11/87)

[ Everyone else has a line here - I may as well too ]

In article <303@uscacsc.UUCP> papa@pollux.UUCP (Marco Papa) writes:
>All IBM-type disks used in the XT/AT models are compatible with the A2000.
>These are ST506 drives.  Only problem you need half-height drives, while
>most IBM clones use full-height.

Actually this is only sort of true.  If you have one 3.5" floppy and a
5.25" floppy, and you want to mount your new disk internally, you need a
1/2 height drive, because it needs to go where the second 3.5" floppy
would otherwise go.  On the other hand, if you have both 3.5" spaces
used up, OR WANT TO SAVE $$ BY BUYING A FULL HEIGHT DRIVE, you can put
the new disk external, which is what I'm doing.  I already have a 20 Mb
1/2 height internal (and the 3.5 and 5.25 floppies), and want to add an
ST506 85 Mb drive, so I am going to leave it outside the case.  I have
to get a couple of new cables, and I will route them out the back panel
through the unused slots above the serial port.  Sure, it'll look
kludgy, but I'll just have to suffer for the extra disk space :-).  You
may have to put a fan by it, or place it near the A2000 exhaust fan, to
keep it cool.

Good Luck!

Bob Doolittle
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!masscomp!rad

peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) (11/11/87)

Now, I do know that when you buy a hard disk, you look for a low seek
and access time, but in reality, what is the difference between a
drive with 65ns access time and 35ns access time?  Would this make
a visible difference in normal operation?  How can I tell what are
reasonable speeds for the various specifications given in the magazines?

- Peter Philip

klm@munsell.UUCP (11/13/87)

In article <186@dalcsug.UUCP> peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
>Now, I do know that when you buy a hard disk, you look for a low seek
>and access time, but in reality, what is the difference between a
>drive with 65ns access time and 35ns access time?  Would this make
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>a visible difference in normal operation?  How can I tell what are
>reasonable speeds for the various specifications given in the magazines?

Whoo!  Gosh!  Where do I sign up for one of these?!! :-) :-)

In reality, you wouldn't notice the difference between two drives
that went that fast.

Access time (like 65 milliseconds (ms) and 35 ms) is the time it takes to
move the head from track to track.  Another spec. that is important is
the transfer rate (i.e. how fast data goes to and comes from the drive.)

If your file system (AmigaDOG) does a lot of thrashing, then you will
probably notice a difference between a 65ms seek time and a 35ms seek time
drive.  The 35ms drive will be faster.

In real reality, it might not make that much difference, because the
Amiga can't advantage of really fast disks anyway.

Most of the famous name drives you see advertised are of reasonable speed.
That doesn't mean I'd want to use one on a VME bus, though.
--
Kevin McBride, the guy in the brace //       | Your mind is totally controlled
Eikonix - A Kodak Co.              //        | It has been stuffed into my mold

In article <186@dalcsug.UUCP> peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
>Now, I do know that when you buy a hard disk, you look for a low seek
>and access time, but in reality, what is the difference between a
>drive with 65ns access time and 35ns access time?  Would this make
	    ^^^^		 ^^^^
>a visible difference in normal operation?  [ ... ]

	I don't know about you, but if I had a hard drive with 65 nanosecond
access time, I'd be flying past everyone.  Where'd you get these drives?

	Mind you, it'd have to be very heavy, to prevent head inertia from
physically throwing the drive all over the place.  And the head positioner
would suck tons of current when active, no doubt......

 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	ihnp4!ptsfa -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (11/13/87)

In article <186@dalcsug.UUCP> peter@dalcsug.UUCP (Peter Philip) writes:
$Now, I do know that when you buy a hard disk, you look for a low seek
$and access time, but in reality, what is the difference between a
$drive with 65ns access time and 35ns access time?  Would this make
$a visible difference in normal operation?  How can I tell what are
$reasonable speeds for the various specifications given in the magazines?
$

The 65ns drive is used to replace all RAM in your system, the 35ns drive
is used to replace all of the RAM in the 25MHz 68020 system. :-)  By the
way where can I get either of these drives...  boy do I have an application...

Seriously the major difference between the 65ms(milli-second) drive and
the 35 or less ms drives is the seek time overhead.  For multiple disk
I/O intensive programs this amounts to much lost/wasted time.

$- Peter Philip

Hans		hah@inteloa.intel.com

In article <1367@squeaker.munsell.UUCP> (Kevin McBride) writes:
>Access time (like 65 milliseconds (ms) and 35 ms) is the time it takes to
>move the head from track to track.  Another spec. that is important is
>the transfer rate (i.e. how fast data goes to and comes from the drive.)

Actually, the second most common spec quoted for hard disks (after capacity)
is 'Average Access Time'. This is the average time it takes for the heads
to go from where you are, to where you want to be. Seagate drives are pigs
and have access times of 85 milleseconds, Maxtor drives are much quicker
and have access times in the range of 18 - 28 milleseconds. This is related
to the track to track time (usually in the microseconds) however voice coil
drives always whip the pants of stepper motor type drives.

Why do you care? Because AmigaDOS tends to fragment the drive with the
directory in the middle tracks and the data in the outer tracks. The
disk heads end up going from here to there quite a bit. The smaller the
average access time the faster the disk files are found/read. As of this
writing that can be overwhelmed by AmigaDOS overhead, however Andy F. has
told us that will be changing.

--Chuck McManis

mph@rover.UUCP (Mark Huth) (11/16/87)

In article <33847@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>to go from where you are, to where you want to be. Seagate drives are pigs
>and have access times of 85 milleseconds, Maxtor drives are much quicker
Seagate 225 (st506 20MB drives) have average access time of 65 ms.
Seagate 251 (st506 40MB drives) have average access time of 40 ms.

These are from the spec sheets.

Larger drives tend to be faster, as they are made from newer
technology.

Mark Huth

mph@rover.UUCP (Mark Huth) (11/17/87)

ST506 provides for hard disk data rates of 5Mb per second back to the
controller, most SCSI drives run at 10Mb per second.  This is the data
transfer rate, and has little to do with the perceived performance
when driven through the file system.

A parameter which is noticed is the average access time, as this
generally is related to the seek time of the drive, and the current
file system does a lot of seeks.

The average access time varies from model to model.  Seagate 225 are
65ms, 251s are 40ms.  Other vendors have done better than this in
their newer hardware.  Drives with average access times around 28ms
are commonly available in larger capacity drives, both SCSI and ST506.

Mark Huth

hue@netcom.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (10/03/89)

I dropped by Corporate Systems Center in Sunnyvale, CA today at lunchtime and
picked up their latest catalog.  Here are what I consider to be the good buys:
(all equipment is new, SCSI of course)

CDC Wren V (94181-702)	638MB	16ms		$2495		1yr warranty
Maxtor 8760S		700MB	18ms		$2395		1yr warranty

Seagate ST138N		30MB	28ms		$239		90 day warranty
Seagate ST157N		44MB	28ms		$329		90 day warranty

CSC
730 North Pastoria
Sunnyvale, CA  94086
(408) 737-7312

If nobody objects, I will post the "best buys" whenever their new catalogs
come out (every 2 months or so) as a service to comp.sys.amiga readers who
are looking for good prices on SCSI drives.  I have no connection with the
company except being a satisfied owner of a disk drive I bought there a few
months ago.

-Jonathan