[comp.sys.amiga] Summary of responses on expansion boxes to use A2000 hardware on A1000

wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) (10/04/89)

The following are the replies I got from my request for information
on expansion boxes which allow you to use A2000 hardware on an A1000
or A500.  Some redundant information has been clipped out.  Thanks
to everyone who replied.

   -Bill

From sjk@emx.utexas.edu Mon Sep 25 00:42:28 1989

I have a Toolbox for my 1000 which cost ~$230 if I remember right.
They claim it is compatible with a bridgeboard, but I have not yet
tried it. You would of course, either have to do without the PC
slots or get yourself a bare motherboard and case and make your
own. I currently have an Expansion Tech. flash card SCSI hard drive
controller in there. I am hoping to soon replace that with a Pacific
Periphreal Overdrive controller.
Impressions: There exists a work-alike box sold by another company
which is the exact same thing as the Toolbox but goes under a
different name (I forget what, at the moment.) This is the unit I
originally got when I ordered it. It was DOA, had little useful
documentation and the service people weren't real helpful. Expanion
Tech. (makers of toolbox), however, have been very helpful,
although they do try to blame every ailment on ungrounded PALS ....
The box is no machining marvel.  It's fairly shoddy, but does the
job. I had to tape the bottom of the case because it
was coming into contact with the expansion bus and was shorting it out.
Can you say quality control?
I got the model with an internal power supply which seems bigger
than it needs to be, periodically makes lots of noise, but seems to
work.
I haven't had any problems with it other than the bus-shorting
problem mentioned above, but I am not really taxing it, either. I
do have  a C.Ltd. Amega board connected on the passthouh which
works fine. The real question I have yet to answer, is will all
this work when I finish building LUCAS and FRANCES!
You might consider posting (and keeping for future postings) a
summary of responses as many people have asked about these things
in the past.
My overall comment; it's not real elegant or 100% compatible but it
does the job in some circumstances. Try and verify that the
specific combination of periphs. you want will work.  And stay away
from the Toolbox clone, whatever it's called.
Hope this helps!
Scot
sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu

From cs4331bj@rye.cs.unm.edu Mon Sep 25 17:17:39 1989
In article <623@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> you write:
>Several people here at Lehigh have asked me about those expansion boxes
>that allow you to use A2000 hardware with the A1000 & A500.  Unfortunately,
>I don't know much about them.  If you have experience with them, or know
>of some articles which compare the various expansion boxes, I would
>appreciate an email response.  Specifically, I would like to know:
>	Does it work with A1000 or A500?

I've had one for about a month now with no problems at all.  The only
thing I had to do was ground the PAL's according to their instructions.

>	How much does it cost?

Depending on where you get it, between $200 and $299.  The older units
use to come with a linear power supply, they now have switching power
supplies.  Make sure you get one with a power supply, or at least
install one yourself if you think you can save money that way.

To test the effectiveness of the power supply, I turned everything on
but the ToolBox's power.  With a 2058 2 meg unit installed, I had
problems using the modem, apparently not enough juice to drive the
serial port.

>	How compatible is it?

I'm getting in a harddrive soon, 40meg with IVS trumpcard (picked
because I hope to use it with AMAX and felt it had a better chance
since it uses the same controller chip as the Mac)...so I'll let ya
know.

From: bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU

1.  Bill Boards makes one, for about $600.  Comes with 6 slots, 3 for
the amy and 3 for peecee!

2.  The Surgeon.  I don't know who makes it but it has 7 slots, 3 for
Amy, 3 for AT and 1 slot for XT!

Quoting..... [from August 89 of AmigaWorld]

"All three boxes (toolbox 500 and 100, and phoenix PEC 2500) are made by
Phoenix electronics."

"I am disappointed by the apparent lack of quality control, and suggest
that you verify the fuse amperage on your unit, should you buy one!"

  //  Bill Dimm  wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU   wcd0@lehigh.BITNET
\X/     "It's not the facts but the explanation that counts." - unknown