[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 hardware problems

D88.R-WESTMAN@linus.ida.liu.se (Rickard Westman) (09/27/89)

***
About 2 months ago, I posted a message to comp.sys.amiga, where I asked
for some tips on improving my A1000's reliability with devices on the
expansion bus.  Since I lost my access to News soon after that,
I couldn't see if there was any response.  Therefore, I apologize when I
bring this up again.
***

Ever since I decided to get a hard disk for my Amiga 1000, I've had problems.

The first hard disk I tried was returned for several reasons, one of them
being that my Amiga had spurious Gurus when the hard disk was connected.
Most of the time it worked though, but it was painfully slow (much slower than
the manufacturer claimed that it would be).

My second attempt was with a GOLEM HD3000.  Now really weird things
started to happen.  It would _not_ work with my expansion memory (an old
XpanderII 2 meg box).  When I had my expansion memory connected to the
pass-thru on the interface, my Amiga even refused to load Kickstart.  It did
initialize the keyboard, and flashed the power LED, but then it was
dead.  Specifically, it did not change the screen color from "very dark gray"
to "medium dark gray" as it normally does after 1-2 seconds.

The strange thing was, that the same thing happened when I removed the memory
board from the bus, and just let the box be connected to the interface.  This
box does *nothing* with the signals from the 86-pin-connector, apart from
connecting GND-pins with each other.   To be sure, I also tried this with
another unpopulated "connector card".  The same thing happened with that
one.

Incidentally, I found out that this would also happen with the interface
connected (but not the expansion box) when the big metal shield that normally
is above the motherboard, was removed!   When I put it back - everything
would work.  When I removed it - my Amiga was as good as dead again.

I tried to put the shield back on, loading Kickstart, and then remove it again.
I was surprised to see that everything worked fine.  I used the machine
for several hours with the shield removed.  No problems at all, until I
rebooted - then it hang.

Apparently there is _something_ that makes the Amiga fail its self-test, but
that does not impair its normal operation.  What could this be?  After all
the code in the boot-ROM does not try to configure anything on the
expansion bus - so I guess the problem must be of "electrical" nature.

I read something here in comp.sys.amiga about changing the normal 68000 against
a Motorola 68000, supposedly with higher drive capacity.  I tried to
exchange my Thompson 68000 against a Motorola part, but this actually made
the problems worse.  Now the hard disk interface couldn't be connected
at all, even though the shield was in place and it was alone on the bus.
The symptoms were the same as I've described earlier.

With a Signetics 68000, my Amiga refused to work at all!  It hang in the same
way as usual - the 68000 was apparently operative enough to flash the power-
LED, but once again the self-test failed. This 68000 couldn't even drive
my Amiga alone!

Switching back to the Thompson 68000, everything worked again, except
hard disk interface and exp. memory at the same time.   All these tests
were made several times, with consistent results.

My setup:

Amiga 1000 with internal 256K expansion.  It does not have a daughter-board,
everything is on the motherboard.

Very simple hard disk interface, no auto-config stuff, just one PAL, and
two 74LS ICs.  The pass-thru traces (you know what I mean even if that is the
wrong word) on the board are approximately 3 inch, and they are not buffered
in any way.  All signals just pass through the interface.

XpanderII box with or without a 2MB card.

A few questions:

Is this normal behaviour for an A1000, or should it be able to drive more
than one expansion device, without extra drivers/buffers?

Is it considered to be bad design, if you pass the bus through, without
extra drivers/buffers when the product specifically is for the A1000?

Are there such great differences between 68000's, as my tests
seem to indicate?

Is poor grounding typical for A1000's, even those without daughterboards?

Which signals on the expansion port could be "flakey" enough to make the
self-test fail, but still make it possible to run the Amiga as usual
after the boot succeded?

Is there anything constructive I can do about this, or will I never be
able to use a second exapnsion device with my Amiga?

Hmmm...  A lot of questions - I do not know much about these things -
I would appreciate it _very_ much, if someone helped me out.

Richard Westman           |
University of Linkoping   |***
About 2 months ago, I posted a message to comp.sys.amiga, where I asked
for some tips on improving my A1000's reliability with devices on the
expansion bus.  Since lost I lost my access to News soon after that,
I couldn't see if there was any response.  Therefore, I apologize when I
bring up this subject again.
***

[...]

Hmmm...  A lot of questions - as I don't know much about these things,
I would appreciate it _very_ much, if someone helped me out.

Richard Westman           |                               | 'Hmmm...
University of Linkoping   |  D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS.LIU.SE   |  In B, Fenby.'
Sweden                    |                               |

-------

D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS.IDA.LiU.SE (Rickard Westman) (09/28/89)

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (09/29/89)

In article <6SJM8NG.B.D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS> D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS.IDA.LiU.SE (Rickard Westman) writes:
>my Amiga even refused to load Kickstart.  It did
>initialize the keyboard, and flashed the power LED, but then it was
>dead.  Specifically, it did not change the screen color from "very dark gray"
>to "medium dark gray" as it normally does after 1-2 seconds.

I had this exact same symptom.  The solution in my case was to ground the PALS.
But this will not help you, because...

>Amiga 1000 with internal 256K expansion.  It does not have a daughter-board,
>everything is on the motherboard.

Wow! This is a new thing to me!  What type of hacks were performed to allow an
A1000 with NO daughterboard?

>[Much stuff deleted]
>
>Is poor grounding typical for A1000's, even those without daughterboards?

A1000's are famous for flaking out after more then one expansion device is
connected.  Typical solutions include grounding the PALS or replacing the PALS.
In your case (No PALS, I guess) I don't know what to suggest.  Good luck to
you.

John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
             Today is the last day of your life so far.

mlelstv@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Michael van Elst ) (10/04/89)

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:

>In article <6SJM8NG.B.D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS> D88.R-WESTMAN@LINUS.IDA.LiU.SE (Rickard Westman) writes:
>>Amiga 1000 with internal 256K expansion.  It does not have a daughter-board,
>>everything is on the motherboard.
>Wow! This is a new thing to me!  What type of hacks were performed to allow an
>A1000 with NO daughterboard?
>>[Much stuff deleted]
>>Is poor grounding typical for A1000's, even those without daughterboards?
>A1000's are famous for flaking out after more then one expansion device is
>connected.  Typical solutions include grounding the PALS or replacing the PALS.
>In your case (No PALS, I guess) I don't know what to suggest.  Good luck to
>you.

These A1000 (without daughterboards) came some time after they introduced
the PAL versions of the A1000. A had some bad and some good experiences
with it. The good is that all devices at the expansion connector work
better since the four PALs are now on the motherboard. Nevertheless,
since the 256k Kickstart RAM is on the motherboard too, there is more
noise on data/address lines as well as on the power supply.
I got some memory internal memory cards (sitting in the 68000 socket)
working when adding additional vcc and gnd lines between the power
supply connector and the 68000 socket.

				Michael van Elst

E-mail: UUCP: ...uunet!unido!fauern!immd4!mlelstv