[comp.sys.amiga] Upgrades for 1000 - help

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (10/01/89)

A while ago I upgraded to the Platinum edition of Scribble for my kids'
Amiga 1000.  Tonight I got around to opening the package and trying to
load it.  The manual says I need Kickstart and Workbench 1.2 or higher.
The disks have Workbench 1.3.  I still have Kickstart and Workbench 1.1!
Furthermore, when I try to boot off the Scribble disks, I am told I need
version 1.2 ROMS as well.

The store where I bought this thing is long gone.  Any ideas where I can
obtain the necessary upgrades.  If I need to have new ROMS installed, I
will probably need to find a dealer near Pittsburgh unless they are
something I can get at myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I suspect there is probably a
store in/near Pittsburgh.  I just don't know where!
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (10/04/89)

In article <1989Oct1.013859.26875@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>A while ago I upgraded to the Platinum edition of Scribble for my kids'
>Amiga 1000.  Tonight I got around to opening the package and trying to
>load it.  The manual says I need Kickstart and Workbench 1.2 or higher.
>The disks have Workbench 1.3.  I still have Kickstart and Workbench 1.1!
>Furthermore, when I try to boot off the Scribble disks, I am told I need
>version 1.2 ROMS as well.

Assuming you haven't installed ROM's in your Amiga 1000, all you
should need to do is boot with 1.2 kickstart.  When they say you need
revision 1.2 ROM's they are mistakenly assuming that everybody has
either an Amiga 500 or 2x00.
|  Mark Waggoner   (408) 721-6306           waggoner@dtg.nsc.com     |

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (10/04/89)

In article <1989Oct1.013859.26875@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:

>A while ago I upgraded to the Platinum edition of Scribble for my kids'
>Amiga 1000.  Tonight I got around to opening the package and trying to
>load it.  The manual says I need Kickstart and Workbench 1.2 or higher.
>The disks have Workbench 1.3.  I still have Kickstart and Workbench 1.1!
>Furthermore, when I try to boot off the Scribble disks, I am told I need
>version 1.2 ROMS as well.

	[ stuff deleted ]

To upgrade the A1000 to 1.3, you do not need new ROMs.  The ROM they
refer to is the kickstart ROM used in the 500 and 2000; your 1000 uses
a kickstart disk.

To get the 1.3 enhancer package, check with local dealers (look in the
yellow pages) or call up some mail-order companies -- a lot of them
carried it when it came out, and probably still do.

I recommend the upgrade to 1.3, even if your software doesn't require
it.  The shell is much nicer than the old cli, and there are several
other new features (e.g., pipes, disk buffering) that make the Amy
nicer to use.  Don't know if the workbench is very different -- I
never use it.

The only downside I know of to the upgrade is that you'll have a bit
less free memory, but that's progress...
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Q:  How many Chicago Cubs does it take to win the World Series?
A:  More than there'll ever be.

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (10/05/89)

A partial answer:
The latest amiga dos and kickstart is 1.3.2, so if you are upgrading, go
all the way.

The A2000 and A500 have kickstart in ROM, which requires replacing the
chip.  BUT the A1000 uses disk for both kickstart and DOS.  Therefore,
all you should need to do is find someone to sell you a newer set of
disks.  Isn't it nice to know that the A1000 has an advantage over the
newer machines!