[comp.sys.amiga] GUIs for Unix systems

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (10/05/89)

In article <17939@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>In article <1989Oct3.152529.17423@rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>>
>>In <KIM.89Oct3020058@watsup.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (T. Kim Nguyen) writes:
>>
>>Nguyen>    Nguyen> When did you last see a graphics/mouse-based
>>Nguyen>    interface for a Unix Nguyen> workstation?
>>A SUN 3/50 running Xwindows. Other machines in the lab were running
>>NeWS and the Sun proprietary environment.
>Woah, hang on there.  I think we're referring to two different and distinct
>types of 'user-interface.'
>When the question is asked -- 'When did you last see a [GUI] for Unix',
>the question should have been posed as 'When did you last see a [GUI]Bench for
>Unix'.  That is, X-Windows IS a GUI, but it has nothng to do (or at least very
>little to do) with disk access.  All of that garbage is still type-and-
>backspace...:-)  'Tis Unfortunate.
>
>Unless X has something that Berkeley hasn't put on the Suns...

The OpenWindows interface for the Sun X/NeWS server includes fairly direct
`drag-and-drop' file access and manipulation.  An application called filemgr
gives you the icon-based file browser (you can also get a one-file-per-line
listing, just like w/ the Mac or NeXT).  You can drag icons out of the file
manager window and put them onto the root window/desktop.  You can even -- get
this -- drag a text file icon onto a window (or ionified window) awaiting text
input to simulate typing the contents of the file into that window.  Then there
is the `usual' cut, copy and paste from window to window -- you can use a cut
buffer or visually drag your selection from one window to another.

I have to admit that while I was working at Projet Athena, I thought the NeWS
server was an unwieldly hack (yes, even compared to MIT X), but now that I've
had a chance to play with OpenWindows on NeWS, I have to change my tune.

This has little to do with voice mail or the Amiga.  Followups directed to
comp.windows.news.
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner