[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order/Hardware Help Requested

carina@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Amy Bulman) (10/03/89)

I posted this before but it might not have gotten out.

I am going to buy an Amiga 500 with the A501 memory board, a 3.5"
external drive and a 2400 baud modem.  I am probably going to order it
from either Briwall or InterComputing, Inc.  Has anyone had any experiences
(good or bad) with either of these 2 mail order firms?  I am afraid that I'll
get stuck with a bum deal so any response at all would be great, even if it's
second hand.

Right now I'm looking at a Supra 2400 baud modem, a Master 3A disk drive,
and a 1084s monitor.  Again, I am looking for opinions/facts on these.
Are they good, bad, ok?

Please, any information would be greatly appreciated.  I can't wait to
order my 500 but I want to get an opinion on the hardware and the mail
order firm before I call.

Thanks,
Amy
Amy Bulman                    carina%ucscb.ucsc.edu@cunyvm.bitnet
carina@ucscb.ucsc.edu         ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!carina

paulz@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Zander) (10/04/89)

Since you are in Santa Cruz, it is possibly worth your while to at least
call HT Electronics in Sunnyvale.  Most of their staff are really into
Amigas and can help you make sure that the system you buy is really the
one you want.  They do discount the prices from list, but I'll let you
negotiate and compare for yourself.

sn15+@andrew.cmu.edu (Steve Neas) (10/04/89)

>I am going to order it
>from either Briwall or Intercomputing, Inc.  Has anyone had any
>experiences (good or bad) with either of these 2 mail order firms?

I've gained a lot of respect for Briwall.  I used to always order stuff from them for my C-64.  If you look around a little, you can always find lower prices, but the service can't be beat.  They have no problems at all with returns,
even just because you weren't satisfied, and their customer service overall
is one of the best I've dealt with.

          Steve Neas
               Carnegie Mellon U.

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (10/04/89)

In article <5469@portia.stanford.edu>, carina@ucscb.ucsc.edu (Amy Bulman)
writes:
> [asks for information on good/bad experiences people have had with Briwall
>  and/or InterComputing, Inc. mail-order firms.]
Sorry, but the only mail ordering I have done was with GO AMIGO!.  I got
DPaint 3 from them at about $106 including Fed-EX delivery.  They seemed quite
nice on the phone and I can't complain about their service.  They are
apparently not the cheapest mail-order firm around, but hey!  I can't offer
good/bad recommendations for the places you mentioned.

> [asks for good/bad criticism of Supra 2400 modem, Master 3A external disk
>  drive, and 1084s monitor.]
I have a Supra 2400 external modem...no problems, no regrets; I like it.
(BTW, GO AMIGO! lists the Supra 2400 at $144 in the September AmigaWorld mag.)
I also have a 1084s monitor though I think there may be more than one version
of this.  Mine has the curved case with a curved 'controls door'.  It looks
similar to the original AMIGA monitors except it says 'Commodore 1084s video
monitor' on it.  It has stereo sound and a headphone jack.  This is a good
monitor for the budget-minded person in my opinion.  (If you were thinking
of using the Enhanced Chipset's flicker-free 640x480 pixel mode, you will
need a multisync monitor sometime in the future, but I think you would
be able to get by quite nicely without one.)  As for the Master 3A, I have
two internal drives on my A2000 (both are Commodore's as far as I know), so I
have no info here either.

Hope this helps.

 # Baird McIntosh  "...Why do people choose to live their lives...this way?"  #
 # INTERNET: c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> BITNET: c503719@umcvmb.bitnet #

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (10/05/89)

> I am going to buy an Amiga 500 with the A501 memory board, a 3.5"
> external drive and a 2400 baud modem.  I am probably going to order it
> from either Briwall or InterComputing, Inc.  Has anyone had any
> experiences (good or bad) with either of these 2 mail order firms?
> 	Amy

I have ordered form InterComputing three times.  The first times were
just for some books (RKM etc) and I had no problems.  The third time I
bought an Amiga 2000.  It was shipped incomplete.  They NEVER did send
me the Intro to the A2000 manual, even tho I kept bugging them for 5
months.  (Rick Unland at Commodore sent me one.)  I have no intention
of doing business with them again.  I intend to avoid mail order for
anything more complicated than books.  I recommend that you do the
same.
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"