[comp.sys.amiga] Manx C 5.0 to be released in late November...

giguere@aries5 (Eric Giguere) (10/04/89)

... or at least that's what they just told us on BIX.  Apparently it's in
beta-testing right now and the manuals are almost done.

Apparently.  Real Soon Now.

If it's true, though, it should be a good product.  Full ANSI compatibility
is the biggest breakthrough.  But we shall see, won't we?

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"

dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dale Larson) (10/06/89)

In article <561@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@aries5 (Eric Giguere) writes:
>... or at least that's what they just told us on BIX.  Apparently it's in
>beta-testing right now and the manuals are almost done.
>
>Apparently.  Real Soon Now.
>
>Eric Giguere

I called Manx for the dozenth time in the last 3 months this morning
because I am on their beta-tester list, and still haven't recieved anything.

I was told the last week in October will be the real release, but that
no beta releases have been shipped yet, and won't be 'til at least Monday.
Don't get your hopes up, because   a)  Any major revision of a compiler
will take more than 2 weeks of beta-testing, whether done with "official"
beta-testers or done with all the end users, and b)  here are some of the
things Manx has told me in regards to when the beta release would be
available:

7/21/89
"It's real close, a couple of weeks"

9/5/89
"next week"

9/15/90
"a week or two"

9/28/89
"the beta docs are ready, I could have the disks tonight and ship Monday"

10/6/89
"Monday"

The above quotations are from notes I made during phone conversations with
Manx.  It's almost as amusing as the stories WordPerfect tells about when
some of it's bugs will be fixed.

--
	    A lack of prior planning on the part of any programmer
		       always constitutes an emergency.

           Digital Teddy Bear      dlarson@blake.acs.washington.edu

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (10/07/89)

In article <561@maytag.waterloo.edu> giguere@aries5 (Eric Giguere) writes:
>... or at least that's what they just told us on BIX.  Apparently it's in
>beta-testing right now and the manuals are almost done.
>
>Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
>For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9

When I called yesterday, the lady on the phone indicated that it would be
available in late October and that they anticipated mailing upgrade info
within the next two weeks.  Clearly different people are saying different
things.  I sure hope that the phone person is the correct one.

John Munsch	| For the curious: it's German ("munch") :-)