[comp.sys.amiga] SCA Virus

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (10/06/89)

Hi!  One of my disks was caught by VirusX2.0 as having an SCA virus.
VirusX3.2 didn't catch it, though.  So, two questions:

1)  Why did the older VirusX pick it up and the newer one didn't?

2)  It's a game that boots itself--what kind of trouble am I in for
    if Icontinue to play it, assuming I do a cold reboot to load it,
    and a cold reboot of the Workbench when I do my real work?
    note: I have an A500 + CLtd controller and (Seagate) hard disk.
------------
Alex Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@astro.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept.
-------  "c'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est la pomme de terre"  -------

mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) (10/07/89)

In article <8910060438.AA01500@astro.psu.edu>, antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:

> Hi!  One of my disks was caught by VirusX2.0 as having an SCA virus.
> VirusX3.2 didn't catch it, though.  So, two questions:
>
> 1)  Why did the older VirusX pick it up and the newer one didn't?

I don't know what the problem is with VirusX3.2 but I rn into the same
thing. It will not detect the SCA virus but VirusX3.1 will. I now run
both versions.

> 2)  It's a game that boots itself--what kind of trouble am I in for
>     if Icontinue to play it, assuming I do a cold reboot to load it,
>     and a cold reboot of the Workbench when I do my real work?
>     note: I have an A500 + CLtd controller and (Seagate) hard disk.

I don't believe the SCA virus should cause you anymore harm as long
as you take precautions to prevent its spread. If your present infected
disk still boots up, then it should not cause any additional harm. You could
try to male a backup of the infected disk and if it works use VirusX to
erase the virus. If the backup still works then use it and safely put away
your original.

					Matt Hetman