[comp.sys.amiga] Multimedia IFF forms

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (10/07/89)

In article <15070@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@grad1.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>It would be nice to have an IFF standard for multimedia documents:
>documents which can include formatted text, sound, pictures, anims,
>and such.  Does there exist something like this already?

Our Commercial SMUS player (announcement forthcoming) can read IFF CAT
archives containing 8SVX, SMUS and VOIC (enhanced 8SVX) FORMs.  They
can be written by iffar, an IFF CAT archiving tool recently posted
to alt.sources.amiga.

The CAT-reading code in the player has a case statement where it's doing,
essentially:

	switch (formtype)
	{
		case ID_8SVX:
			Read8SVX(...);
			break;

		case ID_SMUS:
			ReadSMUS(...);
			break;

		...etc...

It could easily be extended to read ILBMs and ANIMs and, eventually,
some kind of multimedia description chunk, maybe an event list tied
to a SMPTE-style timer (events are queued to play at
hours:minutes:seconds.frame).

Source code is included with that recently posted archiver, by the way,
and it could be used as the basis for one's own CAT reader.  It's public
domain, too, so commercial reuse is OK.  (Now isn't that more fun than
the GNU public license? :-)

[Followups directed to comp.sys.amiga.tech]
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke