[comp.sys.amiga] Word Perfect File Format consistent for Amiga & IBM PC?

daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) (10/02/89)

I am curious about the following scenario:

   1)  Create a file with Word Perfect on an IBM PC,
   2)  Transfer (via modem) to my Amiga,
   3)  Make changes with the Amiga Version of WP.
   4)  Modem back to PC and make further changes.

Are steps 3 & 4 possible?  That is, is the WP file format standard across
different platforms?

(For those who must know, user A will create a document on the PC for
 user B to critique, modify, etc.)

Thanks for the response (assuming I get one/some!).
--
Dave Egan
      uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!daveegan

mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com (Mike Shawaluk) (10/02/89)

In article <26826@dhw68k.cts.com> daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) writes:
>I am curious about the following scenario:
>
>   1)  Create a file with Word Perfect on an IBM PC,
>   2)  Transfer (via modem) to my Amiga,
>   3)  Make changes with the Amiga Version of WP.
>   4)  Modem back to PC and make further changes.
>
>Are steps 3 & 4 possible?  That is, is the WP file format standard across
>different platforms?

Yes, the above scenario is indeed possible, although with the current version
of Amiga WP, things can be a little (!) awkward, since it is at version 4.1,
and the IBM PC version is at 5.0.  WP 5.0 on the PC has an option to save in
WP 4.2 format, which the Amiga version isn't at, but if you save via the PC
in 4.2 format, and then run WP 4.2 on the PC, retrieve the file, and save it
in 4.1 format (sheesh!  sounds like a pain, no?), *THEN* the Amiga can read
it just fine!  Now, I have heard that the upcoming Amiga WP update will be
able to *read* 4.2 format files, although it won't be able to access any of
the special features (like table of authorities, etc.) that 4.2 added.  But
at least it would be a little easier to share files between the two systems!
A slight positive note: WP 5.0 on the PC will directly read the Amiga's 4.1
format files without problems (at least in my experience it has, although I
don't know what it does about some of the Amiga enhancements, such as
italics, which weren't part of WP 4.1 or 4.2, but are now standard on 5.0)

As a side note, I should mention that many people who have WP on the PC (such
as our company) originally had 4.1 or 4.2 and later upgraded to 5.0, and they
will often choose to keep a running copy of the earlier version available, as
there were enough serious changes in the way WP dealt with documents between
4.X and 5.0 (i.e., storing default document settings in each document,
allowing margins & tabs to be set in inches, cm, or characters, graphics
support, intelligent font management, etc.), and often an "older" document
created under 4.X wouldn't print quite right under 5.0, at least without
twiddling a few settings, so it was often easier to fire up 4.2 and print the
document, if it was just a one-time access, than to bother with importing and
reformatting, etc.  I believe this use of the older & newer version of the
same package was allowable under WP's licensing agreement.  Anyway, the point
of the above explanation was that I had at my disposal the 4.2 version of WP
for the PC, with which I could save a document to 4.1 format, when I needed
to.
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
       (mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com  OR  ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes)

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/03/89)

In article <26826@dhw68k.cts.com>, daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) asks
about transferring WordPerfect files between AmigaDOS and MS-DOS.  I have
had no problems
     (1) Creating an MS-DOS file with WordPerfect 4.2, transferring it to
     AmigaDOS, processing it with WordPerfect on the Amiga or
     (2) Creating an AmigaDOS file with WordPerfect 4.1, transferring it to
     MS-DOS, and processing it with WordPerfect 4.2.

There is a new maintenance release of WordPerfect due out soon.  It will
have the ability to read files created by WordPerfect 4.2.  Apparently
there are some features supported by version 4.2 (MS-DOS) that are not
supported by the Amiga version.  However, that crops up only if those
features are used in your document.  Furthermore, there is an option to
save your files in version 4.1 format, which does not contain features that
are unavailable in the Amiga version.

In short, compatibility between the two versions of WordPerfect is
excellent.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/03/89)

     Whether you need to save your MS-DOS WordPerfect file in version 4.1
format depends on whether you have used a feature that was changed between
versions.  I have had no difficulty loading files created with MS-DOS
WordPerfect 4.2 (in 4.2 format) into my Amiga's WordPerfect.

     I do get a notice that the file is not an Amiga WordPerfect file.
However, WordPerfect will retrieve it anyway.  So far the formatting has
come through perfectly.

daveegan@dhw68k.cts.com (Dave Egan) (10/07/89)

In article <1166@lakesys.lakesys.com> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>Yes, the above scenario is indeed possible, although with the current version
>of Amiga WP, things can be a little (!) awkward, since it is at version 4.1,
>and the IBM PC version is at 5.0.  WP 5.0 on the PC has an option to save in
>WP 4.2 format, which the Amiga version isn't at, but if you save via the PC
>in 4.2 format, and then run WP 4.2 on the PC, retrieve the file, and save it
>in 4.1 format (sheesh!  sounds like a pain, no?), *THEN* the Amiga can read
 [ other stuff.... ]
Thanks Mike.  I received many responses via EMAIL that said basically the
same thing.  However, your message was the first that outlined the
"5.0 to 4.2 to 4.1" hoop that I'll have to negotiate.  Hmmmm.  I'm not
sure the source author has the prior versions.  It's good to know what
I'm out against though!

Thanks to all who replied on this via EMAIL and news!   B-)

--

In article <759@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:

>     Whether you need to save your MS-DOS WordPerfect file in version 4.1
>format depends on whether you have used a feature that was changed between
>versions.  I have had no difficulty loading files created with MS-DOS
>WordPerfect 4.2 (in 4.2 format) into my Amiga's WordPerfect.

Well Fabbian, your post gives me more hope!  I doubt the source will be
more than a rough draft.
I have heard of the warning about non-WP files and blasting through it.

Thanks again.