[comp.sys.amiga] MIDI Applications->Sequencing/Sampling/Archiving

zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) (10/05/89)

Someone was asking about MIDI software experience...

If the application is not professional, and you are looking for a good
sequencing package, you should run out and buy Dynamic Studio.  The package
is full featured and intuitive to use, plus it comes furnished with a fully
programmable built-in drum machine that uses any combination of 16 patterns
of 10 voice allocatable velocity sensitive samples.  The drum sounds can also
be played live using the numeric keypad or any assignable MIDI trigger, and
can even be directed to MIDI out to slave a MIDI drum machine during
playback.  Another nice feature, just in case you decide to get a new sound
module, is that DS's MIDI out can be reassigned as a THRU, which can
potentially save you from dying by MIDI cord strangulation (MIDI Hell
is no Disneyland).  The package is complete with a librarian that stores any
system exclusive data from any piece of gear, and over 1 meg of samples
(anyhow, you'll use Perfect Sound and Studio Magic to sample your own Amiga
sounds!)  On the minus side, the sync out code is not always rock steady at
high bpm, there is no quick way to alter all 16 tracks at the same time, and
you must have at least one meg of ram to spare.

As far as sampling your own goes, I find that Perfect Sound does the trick
most of the time, but the samples you'll get won't always be perfectly
clean.  The software is very limiting, but Studio Magic will allow you to
split your MIDI keyboard in up to 16 sections for your 16 samples.  You can
also overlay (even if you do not have a sampling MIDI keyboard), so you
can easily create sounds with complex timbres and a lot of balls.  You
also get to set the relative tuning and the sustain points for each sample.
Some of the built-in special effects are also quite interesting.

Ciao,
Eric.
McGILL UNIVERSITY - MONTREAL

850031m@aucs.uucp (GORDON R. MAC GREGOR) (10/08/89)

In article <1564@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> zeke@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Eric SHAMASH) writes:
>Someone was asking about MIDI software experience...
>
>If the application is not professional, and you are looking for a good
>sequencing package, you should run out and buy Dynamic Studio.  The package

I've stayed clear of Dynamic Studio after finding out that their Dynamic
Drums does NOT multitask (well, multitask resonably I should say).
I'm not saying 'dont buy Dynamic Studio' - Ive never seen it in action,
but I just wanted this [offence] to be known.
I must say that Dynamic Drums is very easy to use, and if this is indicative
of the rest of the package it may be the friendliest sequencer out there,
but I question how serious a sequencer it is.

I use Mimetics Soundscape sequencer, overall Im happy with it, but I wouldnt
recommend it to everyone.  It has some serious shortcommings.  Event editing
is crude and time consuming, and Ive heard from music types that its hard to
use.  But, it is a very capable sequencer, you can do everything with it - at
least it hasn't failed me yet.  The built in sampling *software* is really
nice too (you can have a different sample on each octave of an instrument).
It's expandable.  It was built to allow easy addition of new midi modules that
can be added to the system.  There are presently two utility disks available
with some nifty modules (should be sold with the thing!) like the MouseBender
from Util1 and the MidiEcho from Util2.

I am planning to write a Soundscape module myself that will handle note
editing a little better.  Has anyone tried this before?

Look you got me rambling again!

                              			 - ross