[comp.sys.amiga] 3D modelers -> modulair ?

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (10/10/89)

 nsw@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (Neil Weinstock) writes :
> [ .... ]
> What I would like to see is a rendering (and animation) system that is
> completely modular.  After all, we've got multitasking, might as well use
> it.  I want to be able to buy an object designer, maybe a scene layout tool,
> a renderer, and an animator all separately.  I could start off with an
> inexpensive non-raytrace renderer, then move up to a gonzo one when I get
> ambitious.
> [ .... ]
> Now, I know that programs such as Modeler-3D exist, and how animation
> programs are often separate from the renderers.  But I still hear things
> like "I use Sculpt to design my objects, then use Interchange and do
> the rendering with Turbo Silver". (conversion programs? blech)
> [ .... ]
> I have heard that the renderer in Turbo Silver is great, but the user
> interface is sub-par.  Can I just buy the Turbo Silver rendering module?
> If not, why not?

   As far as I know there are four workable methods, draw your objects in
   Design 3D, ProDraw or AutoCad and convert them with a conversion tool
   (yes, interchange and for AutoCad files ACad) or make them in the
   supplied editor that comes with the rendering program itself.

   I've TurboSiler 3.0 myself and indeed, the results are good but the
   GUI [insert], I played with SA4D for a while and although the interface
   of the object designer is far better its not my favorite. There is another
   method though, you can draw your objects in DP3 or any other IFF compatible
   paint program and convert it to vector graphics with Digiworks. There's
   one big drawback, you can convert only '1 bitplane' images. But that will
   change in a few months since I happen to know there is a program which
   will do 5 bitplane stuff without any problems you can find in DigiWorks.

   I suggest you go for Design 3D because it can render your objects too.
   On the other hand you can go for TurboSilver (cheap) but you'll have to
   pay extra for Design 3D (or any other object designer) and the
   conversion tools.

  -* Michel ----- RoachaToyllah of Lightnin' Roach AppRoach test labs
      hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | Just speaking for myself.