[comp.sys.amiga] XT BridgeBoard Accelerator Cards ... Any success stories?

doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) (09/27/89)

Has anyone successfully used an Accelerator card with an XT BridgeBoard?
I'm currently looking at the Orchid TinyTurbo286 and the Charge Card 286
featured in CompuAdd's catalog (I like CompuAdd because if the cards
end up not working correctly with the Amiga I'll have no problem returning
them). Selling the XT BrigeBoard and purchasing an AT BridgeBoard is
beyond my budget right now (although I know it's the obvious solution :-)).

mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) (10/03/89)

In article <4242@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
> Has anyone successfully used an Accelerator card with an XT BridgeBoard?
> I'm currently looking at the Orchid TinyTurbo286 and the Charge Card 286
> featured in CompuAdd's catalog (I like CompuAdd because if the cards
> end up not working correctly with the Amiga I'll have no problem returning
> them). Selling the XT BrigeBoard and purchasing an AT BridgeBoard is
> beyond my budget right now (although I know it's the obvious solution :-)).

I tried two accelerator cards with my XT bridgeboard. One was a glaring
success which led me to a disasterous failure. I first tried the SOTA-386X
accelerator card and it worked great. I measured  6 fold improvement in
screen graphics alone. I was about to order one when I discovered a
fantastic sale on the Intel 386 In-board. I took a chance and purchased
one. When I opened the package I discovered to my dismay that the Intel
board required you to disable your standard memory down to 256k. After
a long thought, and I am fairly competent with hardware mods, I un-
soldered a bank of chips from my bridgeboard and was ready to try it
out. Well, un expectant to me, the Intel board and my GVP 80 meg
hardcard did nott agree. Poof went my hard drive and out came my Intel
board. I replaced my memory chips, and to my partial delight, the Amiga
and bridgeboard booted up fine. But my hard drive was dead. Moral of the
story, not all accelerator boards are alike. The SOTA 386X is great and
I hope to fine one real soon at  good discount price. The one I used was
borrowed. I don't think I will chance too many others unless I here from
someone else who was successful.

					Matt Hetman
.

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (10/04/89)

In article <2105@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) writes:
> In article <4242@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
> > Has anyone successfully used an Accelerator card with an XT BridgeBoard?
>
> I tried two accelerator cards with my XT bridgeboard. One was a glaring
> success which led me to a disasterous failure. I first tried the SOTA-386X
> accelerator card and it worked great. I measured  6 fold improvement in

I have had success with the Orchid PC Turbo286e.  Note this is NOT a half
card with cache ram and socket for the 8088 and a ribbon connector to its
original socket.  It is a full card with a megabyte of 16 bit memory, one
segment of which at a time can be mapped to the 20 bit address space on
the PC bus.  The board is fired up after a normal boot by loading a device
driver and running a transfer-control program, which boots the 286 board
with many interrupts hooked, with a ram copy of the rom bios in the top segment
of the 16 bit memory; this program on the 8088 then services the i/o from
the 286 with the native bios, which in this case means through the amiga.
The screen buffer in 16 bit memory is periodically swapped, etc.

one can switch back to 8088 mode at any time.  While in turbo mode any
undedicated 8088 memory can be used as a disk cache.

Anyway, the list price on this board is horribly expensive but I've seen
three of them used in the bay area in the last 4 months for $150-250.

Norton SI 3.0 is 9.2.  I have found with janus 2.0 that Aread and Awrite
do not work from turbo mode; however, since the included software allows
devices loaded in 8088 mode to be used from the 286, jlinked partitions
as well as the makeAB boot disk are accessible.

Art walker
walker@meggie.stanford.edu

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (10/10/89)

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) writes:

>In article <2105@cbnewsl.ATT.COM>, mgh1@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (matthew.g.hetman) writes:
>> In article <4242@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, doug@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (douglas.sulpy) writes:
>> > Has anyone successfully used an Accelerator card with an XT BridgeBoard?
>>
>> I tried two accelerator cards with my XT bridgeboard. One was a glaring
>> success which led me to a disasterous failure. I first tried the SOTA-386X
>> accelerator card and it worked great. I measured  6 fold improvement in ...

>I have had success with the Orchid PC Turbo286e.  Note this is NOT a half
>card with cache ram and socket for the 8088 and a ribbon connector to its
>original socket.  It is a full card with a megabyte of 16 bit memory, one ...

OK, this is great!  Can anyone else post or mail any other results?  It would
great to compile a list of known compatible accelerators.

So far:

-Elevator386
-Sota386X
-Orchid PC Turbo286e (not Tiny Turbo)

Bad news:

-Intel Inboard 286/386
-Boards that require the removal of the motherboard (Bridgeboard) CPU or require
 backfilling ram to 256K.  (Is this a correct assumption?)

An intrigueing possibility:  There is a Quadram Quad386XT for $555 on page 515 of
the current Computer Shopper.  I called the number but the order-taker did not
know much about it.  Someone from their "technical staff" was supposed to get
back to me but never did.  I will try contacting Quadram tommorrow.  With the
current glut of 386 motherboards available, accelerator boards have fallen into
disfavor.  Out of 700 pages I found maybe 3 references to accelerator boards for
sale!  This may be a good sign, though, that manufacturers will soon have to
liquidate leftover inventory at fire-sale prices.

What I _really_ want is a 68030 accelerator for only $555!  :-) :-)

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato
     "My life is conventional and uneventful.  It allows me to think with