[comp.sys.amiga] CygnusEdPro Bug

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (09/24/89)

Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
CygnusEd will promptly hang.  All other programs you may have running
on your amiga at that time will still work (although much slower), but
CygnusEd wil hang until you reboot.

In my case, I had two files with the name '.info' in the root dir of DH0:
Every time I clicked on the DH0: gadget on the CygnusEd requestor, it would
hang the program.  For a while I thought my hard disk had a hard error.

By the way, what is the status of CygnusEd Pro 2, the update?

Thanks in Advance
Dennis Gorrie
GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET

new@udel.EDU (09/25/89)

In article <8909250219.AA13930@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>CygnusEd will promptly hang.

And just how did you get two files with the same name in the same directory?
I've had it happen by having a crash while openning a file. The symptom was
that the file was linked under the wrong hash code.  The validator did
not detect this (thank god) so I could use a disk editor to simply
zero out the whole directory after copying what I needed out of it.
(delete #? did not find the file, because ExNext() would return it but
Delete() would look under the hash to find it.)  Try copying .in#? to
another disk and see if it works and copies both .info files.  If not,
I would call it unfair to call it a "bug" in CygnesEd. -- Darren

In article <8909250219.AA13930@jade.berkeley.edu> (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>CygnusEd will promptly hang.

You also are either running pathhandler/pathman or you have a corrupt disk
since *normally* there isn't any way for this to occur. True it's a bug
but not an outrageous one. If I were you Dennis, I'd back up my disk right
away!

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/27/89)

In article <8909250219.AA13930@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:

>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>CygnusEd will promptly hang.  All other programs you may have running
>on your amiga at that time will still work (although much slower), but
>CygnusEd wil hang until you reboot.
>
>In my case, I had two files with the name '.info' in the root dir of DH0:
>Every time I clicked on the DH0: gadget on the CygnusEd requestor, it would
>hang the program.  For a while I thought my hard disk had a hard error.
>
>By the way, what is the status of CygnusEd Pro 2, the update?

I wouldn't exactly call this a CEDPro bug since you're not supposed to
be able to legally create two files in the same directory with the same
name.

I suggest you've got some file system damage on your hard disk which
is beyond the responsibility for applications to worry about.

Release 2? Coming soon. One of the things taking time is: a manual that's
about three times as comprehensive as the original, a much better editor,
and a few personal things.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (10/02/89)

>>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>>CygnusEd will promptly hang.
>>
>> Dennis Gorrie

>You also are either running pathhandler/pathman or you have a corrupt disk
>since *normally* there isn't any way for this to occur. True it's a bug
>but not an outrageous one. If I were you Dennis, I'd back up my disk right
>away!
>
> Chuck McManis       comp.sys.amiga@      9/25/89*CygnusEdPro Bug

I am not sure what pathhandler/pathman is.  What happened was that I
accidentaly erased all the .info files on my dh0: root directory, so I used
disksalv to recover them to ram: and then used DiskMaster to move them to
dh0:, and that was how I got two .info files.  I was able to create files with
the same name in a RAM:  disk, using diskmaster, not just my hard disk, so
I don't think my hard disk is corrupt.

;And just how did you get two files with the same name in the same directory?
;I've had it happen by having a crash while openning a file. The symptom was
;that the file was linked under the wrong hash code.  The validator did
;not detect this (thank god) so I could use a disk editor to simply
;zero out the whole directory after copying what I needed out of it.
;(delete #? did not find the file, because ExNext() would return it but
;Delete() would look under the hash to find it.)  Try copying .in#? to
;another disk and see if it works and copies both .info files.  If not,
;I would call it unfair to call it a "bug" in CygnesEd. -- Darren
;
; new@udel.EDU        comp.sys.amiga@      9/25/89*CygnusEdPro Bug

Maybe I should not call it a BUG, but a FEATURE?  What ever the cause is
for getting two files of the same name, it has happened to me before, using
a ram:  disk, and I noticed that some file requestors will hang, while
others will still work.  I am curious as to why some still work and others
do not.

At any rate, it realy stumped me at first, and I thought I should post it
just in case it happens to anyone else using DiskMaster and CygnusED; it
could save somebody some grief.  As I said in my first posting, I apologize
if this is already common knowledge.

-In article <8910012334.AA10980@jade.berkeley.edu> GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) writes:
->>>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
->>>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
->>>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
->>>CygnusEd will promptly hang.
->>>
-
->others will still work.  I am curious as to why some still work and others
->do not.

Two possibilities. #1 is luck, #2 is programming style.

Not much to say for #1. For #2, it is a matter of how "defensively"
a programmer codes.
If the programmer assumes that it "can't happen", then when
it does happen, you revert to #1.
I try to program defensively to avoid random happenings when
things go wrong. This helps a lot in writting the program, since
I will get debug messages out proclaiming an error in my
judgement. It also helps a completed program operate more
reliably, even if there are bugs the program can
avoid crashing by checking for impossible conditions, and (at worst)
exiting gracefully.
REAL NAME: Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/04/89)

[Sarcasm mode ON]

	    Top 10 Stoopid(tm) Bugs in CygnusED from ASDG

10.  If I boot CygnusED and throw a brick through my monitor, I can't
read then text.

9.   If I stare at the screen and think "CURSOR UP!  CURSOR UP!" the
cursor stays still.  This happens no matter how loudly I think.

8.   The AREXX port won't talk to my toaster oven.

7.   The disk doesn't load on my IBM PC/jr nor my big brother's IBM Clone.

6.   Well, I hand-soldered this memory card that I designed after
taking a basic sewing course on evening and it doesn't conform to any
standards and half the contacts are bad and I'm not even sure where in
memory it appears... and CygnusED doesn't recognize it.  Oh yeah, I
ran out of solder so I used Krazy-Glue(tm) for most of it.

5.   When I let my cat run across the keyboard Cygnus ed says
627/.p[po,m9inu98i8ybv6t5ce4xwezq3 instead of "Meow", which is what my
cat wanted to say.

4.  In the copyright notice they include their full address and they
abbreviate the word "Street".  I hate when people do that!

3.  If you insert the disk backwards AmigaDOS won't read the disk.  I
would think they'd AT LEAST have the text appear upside-down!

2.  I poured prune juice on the disk and now it's just guru, guru, guru.

And the Number 1 Stoopid(tm) bug found in ASDG's CygnusED is:

1.  In article <8909250219.AA13930@jade.berkeley.edu> (Dennis Robert
Gorrie) writes:
>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>CygnusEd will promptly hang.

So Dennis, let's talk about my new corrupted disk service.  You give
me 50 dollars and I'll send you a brand new blank, formatted disk and
properly dispose of the old disk.  It costs that much because
sometimes corrupted disks are radio-active and the government requires
us to take special procedures with them.

(the :-) should be assumed)

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

ranjit@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar) (10/04/89)

In article <Oct.3.19.12.25.1989.11563@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

[a bunch of sarcastic snood-text deleted]

>>Sorry if everyone is already aware of this bug.   The problem is, that if
>>you have two files, with the SAME NAME, in the SAME DIRECTORY, and then try
>>to use the CygnusEd file requestor to open a file (get a dir list) THEN
>>CygnusEd will promptly hang.
>
>So Dennis, let's talk about my new corrupted disk service.  You give
>me 50 dollars and I'll send you a brand new blank, formatted disk and
>properly dispose of the old disk.  It costs that much because
>sometimes corrupted disks are radio-active and the government requires
>us to take special procedures with them.
>
>(the :-) should be assumed)

Yeah, yeah.  Don't be such a snood.  If the program hangs, it's defective,
no matter what Perry says.  What if Commodore felt that way?

	"Sure the Exec locks up if you eject a disk at just the wrong
	 time.  That's not a bug - just don't eject the disk at the
	 wrong time!"

	"Yeah, I know you get gurus when you insert certain corrupted
	 disks.  Bug?  No way!  You shouldn't insert corrupted disks."

Hey, this is fun.  Much more fun than being a SNOOD.

	"Three Mile Island?  Not our fault.  Some fool left a valve
	 open.  You don't expect us to account for mistakes, do you?"

... Ranjit [Try new SignusSpell!  Crashes if you make a spelling
	    error!  Guaranteed to cure you of bad typing habits.] Bhatnagar

p.s. I've got one too.  A :-), I mean.  So don't try anything.
"Trespassers w"   ranjit@eniac.seas.upenn.edu	mailrus!eecae!netnews!eniac!...
	   "Such a brute that even his shadow breaks things." (Lorca)

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (10/08/89)

In article <15069@netnews.upenn.edu> ranjit@grad1.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Ranjit Bhatnagar) writes:
>Yeah, yeah.  Don't be such a snood.  If the program hangs, it's defective,
>no matter what Perry says.  What if Commodore felt that way?

Perry didn't say anything, but I sure will.

You can't equate the two. Ok, so the operating system trashes a disk. Now if
the operating system crashes on that disk, it's reasonable to complain, but
if another program crashes on it, who's to blame?

The current CygnusEd has now-known bugs in it's filerequester code. That's why
the new release will have a completely re-worked filerequester.

Still, you can hardly blame CygnusEd for crashing on media corrupted by things
like DiskMaster, or AmigaDOS itself.

And as for blaming AmigaDOS for crashing when you insert corrupted media, just
try mounting a corrupted drive on a "crash-safe" Unix box sometime.

1/2 :-)

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (10/08/89)

Tom Limincelli writes <limonce@pilot.njin.net> :

> ( Lots of not-very-helpful sarcasm deleted )

I apologize that I did not explain the full case Tom.  I wanted the posting
to be a short note to people here of what I had found.  Here are the facts:

1. Nowhere did I critizie Perry, ASDG, or the CygnusED program.  To the
   contrary, I think it is a great program, and one of the best I have ever
   purchased for my Amiga.  Perhaps I should call it a "feature" that
   conflicted with another "feature" caused by the DiskSalv and DiskMaster
   programs.

2. The problem has nothing to do with defective magnetic media.  I can
   duplicate it in RAM: or RAD: using DiskSalv and/or DiskMaster.  These
   two programs are in fairly common use, and I thought I should mention it
   in case anyone ever encountered the problem.  It took me quite a quile to
   figure out what was wrong, when it happened to me, and I thought maybe I
   could save someone else using these programs a headache.

3. I have since tried the file requesters of several programs to see if
   they work under this condition.  Most still work, but some hang the program,
   like CygnusEd.  Personally, I am quite interested in why some of these
   programs work, while others crash.  What are they doing different?

I did not find your sarcasm funny.  Could you please be more helpful?

| Dennis Gorrie                    Chain-Saw TAG...                         |
| GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                      Try it, You'll Like it!  |

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/10/89)

In article <928@madnix.UUCP> aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) writes:
[More stuff about CED crashing when encountering more than one file
with the same name in the same directory]

  On a related topic, will the new CED hang when it tries to look
at a pathman path? (Which is another way to get more than one file
in the same "directory" with the same name). I realize that pathman
isn't part of the system, but I hope that ASDG doesn't take EA's
narrowminded view of such things, and will fix CED to be safe with
this feature.

>- Aaron
>Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."

   Jim