[comp.sys.amiga] HP Deskjet Questions

tmurphy@shamash.cdc.com (Murph) (10/09/89)

I just got my deskjet and I hooked it up and everything seems fine.
I've been seeing bits and pieces on c.s.a. about a better deskjet
driver and I'm wondering if it exists, and where I can get a copy.

I'd like to get a few hints for the future, which of the font cartridges
does anyone recommend and why?  What software works exceptionally good or
bad?(I ordered AmigaTex cause I heard good things about the combo)
I heard good things about Pixelscript and the DJ, any comments?
any and all tips welcome.

Thanks in advance....

Murph

hugh@kink.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble @ Phaedra V's Amiga 2500) (10/09/89)

In article <14205@shamash.cdc.com> tmurphy@shamash.cdc.com (Murph) writes:
>I just got my deskjet and I hooked it up and everything seems fine.
>I've been seeing bits and pieces on c.s.a. about a better deskjet
>driver and I'm wondering if it exists, and where I can get a copy.

Creative Focus has ads in Amazing Computing for Super_DJ.  I haven't tried it
(yet), but it is purported to significantly enhance the graphics.  I understand
they also sell Super_DJ Plus specifically for the DeskJet Plus.

>I'd like to get a few hints for the future, which of the font cartridges
>does anyone recommend and why?  What software works exceptionally good or
>bad?(I ordered AmigaTex cause I heard good things about the combo)
>I heard good things about Pixelscript and the DJ, any comments?
>any and all tips welcome.

PixelScript 1.1 works beautifully with the DeskJet.  I doubt you could get
"laser quality" 300dpi PostScript output much cheaper.  Running PixelScript
in your computer will be a lot slower than doing it in a PostScript printer
though.  A page that takes 5 min. in a PostScript laser might take 10 min.
for PixelScript to process on an A2500 or 40 min. on an A2000 or A500, plus
a few minutes to print on your DeskJet.  I've had a complicated page from
Professional Draw take 40 min. to print on an A2500.  I'd recommend the
combination highly for high quality, low volume printing.

Of course if you have enough RAM you can still work on your documents, read
news, or play Space Spuds 3D on your Amiga while the printing is getting
done.

--
# Hugh D. Gamble (416) 267-6159  No Disclaimers.
# hugh@kink or {censor, geac, becker, clunk, cbmtor}!kink!hugh

slc@hoptoad.uucp (Steve Costa) (10/10/89)

In article <14205@shamash.cdc.com> tmurphy@shamash.cdc.com (Murph) writes:
>I just got my deskjet and I hooked it up and everything seems fine.
>I've been seeing bits and pieces on c.s.a. about a better deskjet
>driver and I'm wondering if it exists, and where I can get a copy.
>
>I'd like to get a few hints for the future, which of the font cartridges
>does anyone recommend and why?  What software works exceptionally good or
>bad?(I ordered AmigaTex cause I heard good things about the combo)
>I heard good things about Pixelscript and the DJ, any comments?
>any and all tips welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance....
>
>Murph

I don't have the SuperDJ driver (yet). I too would like to hear more about
it. It's available from:

   Creative Focus
   Box 580
   Chenango Bridge, NY 13745-0580    (no phone # in the ad)

 -- Cartridges & Fonts

I bought two cartridges:

 -   Prestige elite set (12 pitch & math symbols,etc. No landscape mode).

 -   256 RAM cartridge, for soft fonts.

I also bought the "TsmRmn & Helv" soft font collection. It comes on 5 1/4"
360K disks for IBM & clones. I put them on my PC and transferred them to my
Amiga via null modem connection.

Soft fonts have the advantage of not needing to change cartridges, plus you
may get more point sizes for the money. However they can take a lot of disk
storage, depending on the point size & character set. The total disk
storage of the collection I bought is 1.66 meg (36 files).

I'm also working on a soft font editor to revise & create soft fonts. The
file structure is fairly complicated & it's taking longer than I thought
originally (at least a few more weeks, since I only work on it part time).
I'll make it available either commercially or as freeware, depending on
demand & on how many wrinkles I put into it. Some ideas I have are to
output DeskJet, LaserJet, & possibly PostScript font files; to have editing
features beyond dot-by-dot placement (i.e. like a simple paint program).
We'll see.

 -- PixelScript

I've printed directly from PageStream to the DeskJet, and I've directed
PageStream to a PostScript file and then printed it on the DeskJet.
PixelScript gives distinctly better-formed characters.

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (10/11/89)

In article <8667@hoptoad.uucp> slc@hoptoad.UUCP (Steve Costa) writes:
>I bought two cartridges:

> -   Prestige elite set (12 pitch & math symbols,etc. No landscape mode).

>I also bought the "TsmRmn & Helv" soft font collection. It comes on 5 1/4"
>360K disks for IBM & clones. I put them on my PC and transferred them to my
>Amiga via null modem connection.

What software do you use with these fonts?  I have the Times Roman
collection (free from HP when I bought my DJ+) but I don't have a clue
how to use it with any software.  WordPerfect claims that their
maintainence release (supposedly just released) will use it.  Nothing
else that I know of can use the extra fonts.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu