[comp.sys.amiga] dream machines

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (10/04/89)

Given the history of "If I could design my dream Amiga" postings that
have graced this newsgroup in the past, I would like to take an
opportunity to indulge just this once.

If I could wish for Commodore to introduce any single new system, it
would look something like this:

DISCLAIMER: this is merely fantasy on my part, and has no basis in
fact.

	Amiga 250 laptop portable -- Features:

	* based on CMOS versions of the 68000 and ECS

	* 1 MB standard, cartridge slot accepts RAM upgrades

	* trackball on keyboard, two joystick/mouse ports

	* serial and parallel ports

	* stereo headphone jack for audio output

	* 1 880K drive, expandable to accomodate additional floppy or
	  optional hard disk

	* contains 512K ROM holding AmigaDOS 1.4, including 1.4
	  disk-based libraries and devices

	* backlit greyscale LCD (or other suitable technology) display

	* optional module attaches to A2000-compatible video slot in
	  back, providing analog RGB and composite video output

	* priced competitively with the 286-based laptop systems
	  currently on the market

I would go to great lengths to buy such an Amiga system.  Somehow,
though, I think the R&D necessary to build this machine wouldn't be
worth the return in units sold.

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

"The best length for television programs is either 30 seconds or 8
hours." David Byrne

Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Gareth Bull) (10/11/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Oct4130151@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> If I could wish for Commodore to introduce any single new system, it
> would look something like this:
>
> DISCLAIMER: this is merely fantasy on my part, and has no basis in
> fact.

[ most of wish list deleted ]

>       * backlit greyscale LCD (or other suitable technology) display

        I saw a picture of a Toshiba '286 laptop with a 25.5 cm VGA COLOR
        LCD display in a local ( Aust. ) PC magazine about 2 weeks ago. The
        beast was demonstrated at a PC exhibition in Canberra. Now I wonder
        if the screen could handel HAM mode ? ;-)

--
        Bull@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au  OR  com259h@monu1.cc.monash.oz
                           Alias: Gareth Bull