[comp.sys.amiga] 2000 troubles.

pepers@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bradley Pepers) (10/08/89)

Help! My 2000 seems to be fried.

System: 2000 (unexpanded :-( ) , 2 3.5 drives, <- standard no frills system
Symptom: - display occasionally getting messed up. Usually one small area on
           my screen will be trashed with random garbage. Its NOT actually
           trashing my memory - just the screen.
         - even less often, the screen will just go black. Nothing I do will
           get it back (turning the monitor on/off doesn't help). Computer is
           still running so I can save things by feel. Everything is fine
           after a CTRL-A-A.
         - also only seems to happen on the WB screen. Can't remember any
           trouble while in the GT terminal prog which is a custom screen.
Res Progs: GOMF3.0, AREXX1.06, QMouse, FF, Conman, Shell303a

Any ideas?

    Brad Pepers

hah@inteloa.intel.com (Hans A. Hansen) (10/11/89)

In article <1907@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Bradley Pepers) writes:
$
[...]

You have some bad RAM cell(s) in your CHIP RAM.  You should try to find a PD
RAM test that you can ran on chip memory.  This RAM test will need to be able
to run while the OS is operating so it should first alocate memory and then
test it.  The program can and should run out of $C00000 memory.  It should
also be able to loop for extended periods of time.

Look for "MD" a PD Memory Diagnostic,  this should be available on People
Link and it can also be found on the NorthWest Amiga Group's BBS at (503)
288-1918.

IF you can not find any bad RAM chips AND the screen always messes up at
the same location you may have a bad Paula or even F-Agnus.

I hope that this helps.

		Hans Hansen,  VP NES Inc.

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (10/11/89)

In article <5034@omepd.UUCP> hah@inteloa.UUCP (Hans A. Hansen) writes:
>In article <1907@cs-spool.calgary.UUCP> pepers@cs-sun-fsb.UUCP (Bradley Pepers) writes:
>$
>$Help! My 2000 seems to be fried.
>$
>$System: 2000 (unexpanded :-( ) , 2 3.5 drives, <- standard no frills system
>$Symptom: - display occasionally getting messed up. Usually one small area on
>$           my screen will be trashed with random garbage. Its NOT actually
    I recently had a similar problem with my A1000, and it turned out to be a
    flaky 68000. I did have one additional symptom- it booted up and asked for
    volume DV/ to be inserted. Where and why it got that volume name from has to
    be accounted for in the flaky cpu chip, nothing else was repaired.

    good luck
    Monty Saine