[comp.sys.amiga] Reading MS-DOS Disks on the Amiga

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/02/89)

<Why do some people still put line eaters>

Hi,
   I was wondering, is there any PD package for the amiga that would
let the standard amiga 3.5 drive read MS-DOS disks?

Alejandro Liu
acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (10/02/89)

In <20254@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
Alejandro> Hi,
Alejandro>    I was wondering, is there any PD package for the amiga that would
Alejandro> let the standard amiga 3.5 drive read MS-DOS disks?

There are at least two (there are actually more but the other ones
I've seen really suck). PCPatch will modify a running copy of PCCopy
(from the Extras disk) to use the internal drive. CrossDos is
available in a read-only version for free; it installs, I believe, as
a device driver and you can treat ms-dos disks as AmigaDos-compatible.
A full version is available for I don't recall how much, it was
something like $50 I think, and there are ads in most of the new
issues of Amiga magazines (I know I saw one in AC). I haven't tried
Crossdos; don't recall where to get it. PCPatch works pretty well,
except there are some AT&T 386 machines here I can't get it to work
with even if I format to 720k (or 360k for that matter).

PCPatch is available, I believe, on one of the Fish disks.
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>

                       What noisy cats are we.

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/06/89)

In article <20254@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
>   I was wondering, is there any PD package for the amiga that would
>let the standard amiga 3.5 drive read MS-DOS disks?

This is the summary of responses I got from that article.  Thanks to
anybody that replyed to this.

Basicly there are 3 packages for reading/writing MS-DOS disks.

1. MS-DOS
   This is a PD program (available through a Fish Disk) that lets you
read files.  It can ONLY handle one file at a time and the output goes
always to RAM:MS DOS.file.  It is also quite slow.

2. PC-Patch
   This is also available from a Fish disk, and it lets you read and
write MeSsy DOS disks.  It can handle Formating and data transfers
from and to IBM disks, it is still slow but is a major improvement
over MS-DOS

3. CrossDOS
   This is supposed to be the Ultimate MS-DOS<->AmigaDOS utility
letting address drives as if they were Amy devices or MS-DOS devices.
(No need to unmount or convert anything, data is passed directly to
the program as they are read)  And it is supposed to be fast too!
This is a commercial product and retails for around $30.oo but there
is a ReadOnly demo version available for free.

4. Dos2dos
   This is another commercial program that lets you do that.  I have
little information on this one though.

 _______________________

cna@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Na Choon Piaw) (10/06/89)

In article <20334@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
>4. Dos2dos
>   This is another commercial program that lets you do that.  I have
>little information on this one though.

Well, a friend of mine bought this for transferring between his IBM and my
Amiga (I'm the local TeXer, working from a <sniff> demo version of AmigaTeX
by Tomas Rokicki :-) ).  Anyway, I haven't used enough of it to give it much
of a review, but what it basically does is to assign a drive to the MS-DOS
side, and allow you to do:

	DOSPROMPT> copy a:*.* fh1:

and other stuff like that.  You *cannot* use it to access MS-DOS files "on
the fly".  That drive is forever dedicated to MS-DOS (until you quit from
Dos2Dos).  It's good for what it does (transferring files), and I'm sure it
is quite capable of transferring text files nicely (I haven't bothered much
with it...) but I just use CygnusEd Pro to change all the ^Ms to nothing.
(Incredible editor --- I though I was gonna have to write a simple filter to
do it... [Yes, I'm quite capable of that, so don't send me sources for your
own CR-LF converter ;-) ])

>Alejandro Liu
>acliu%skat@usc.edu	acliu@skat.usc.edu
>(Simple .signature, $CHEAP$)

Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
cna@cory.berkeley.edu		Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!
piaw@ocf.berkeley.edu		"Still on honeymoon with his Amiga...."

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (10/08/89)

     Dos2Dos has a number of nice features.  It lets you look at a
directory of an MS-DOS disk and it lets you use the asterisk as a wild-card
character.  That can really simplify the process of copying a large number
of files.

     However, the PCUtilities supplied on the Workbench 1.2 and WorkBench
1.3 Extras disk do a pretty nice job copying from an unmounted 5.25" disk
drive.  And when you add PCPatch2 to the directory you can copy from a 3.5"
or 5.25" disk formatted for 360K or 720K and it doesn't matter if the drive
is already mounted.  If it is the program just displays the "DF#:BUSY"
icon.

     You can make an exact duplicate of the file, but if you select
"Text-7" or "Text-8" filtering the CR-LF pairs will be replaced with LFs.
It's a very nice utility and it's free!

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

johnm@spudge.UUCP (John Munsch) (10/10/89)

In article <20334@usc.edu> acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) writes:
>4. Dos2dos
>   This is another commercial program that lets you do that.  I have
>little information on this one though.

If I had thought that no one else would reply then I would have already.

Put as simply as possible, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.  I have the misfortune
of owning it and find that not only is it buggy, it is also slow, intolerant
of minor drive errors, and has a syntax that shows such complete laziness
that I really cannot believe that this is a commercial product.  It is the
second worst piece of commercial software I've ever seen*.

It will abort copies of multiple files midway if it has a disk error, asks
yes/no questions that will only take one response, handles typeahead badly
or not at all, etc.  Even MS-DOS is better than this, and that is the worst
criticism I can imagine...

Buy CrossDos and thank god for the day it was written.

John Munsch

* The worst piece of commercial software I've ever seen was Lattice C for
the Atari ST, which was so bad that a shareware compiler written by one man
on an Atari ST with one(!) floppy drive and 512K out performed it.  The code
it produced was SOOO buggy and SOOO slow that I'm amazed that Lattice
has never issued a formal public apology and refunded the money of
everyone who ever even thought of buying it.  To this day, I have cold chills
when I remember that linker.

arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) (10/11/89)

CrossDos mentions "Transformar" in their manual. What exactly does it do? Why
was it discontinued? What would be a fair market price, if someone is willing?
Thanks

Aswath Rao
att!houtz!arao

acliu@skat.usc.edu (Alejandro Liu) (10/11/89)

In article <4641@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> arao@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aswath.k.rao) writes:

|CrossDos mentions "Transformar" in their manual. What exactly does it do? Why

	According to some information I had, Transformer was a MS-DOS
Software only emulator for the Amiga.  (Back then before the
Bridgeboard and the A2000/A500 were around).  As can be expected from
software emulators it was slow and buggy.  When the Bridgeboard for
the A2000 and the Sidecar for the A1000 appeared, the Transformer,
quietly dissapeared from the market.