[comp.sys.amiga] dos_stuff

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (10/11/89)

In article <5546@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) w
rites:
>Hi, I am working on a videogame that needs to load lots of data (~120-150k)
>periodically. (Every time a new map gets loaded.) My question: Is it possible
>to get AmigaDOS to approach the speed of simply using the trackdisk device?
>I assume that writing the files out to a fresh disk in the order I plan
>to read them should put them as close together as possible. Is this true?

Michael Sinz (- CATS comp.sys.amiga.tech 10/10/89*dos_stuff) writes:
;For the most part.  You may wish to look into a disk optimizer for your
;distribution floppy.  It would organize the disk as best it could.  Again,
;if the 15 files were all in one, things would be MUCH faster as the overhead
;for Open() is rather large.

Some info on disk optimizers here:
B.A.D., which is in common use among floppy users, is great for speeding up
directories and/or icons.  However, it does not speed up the copying of
files to RAM: any more than COPY DF0: DF1: ALL would

For example, if you do optimize a disk with B.A.D., using EITHER ICON or
DIRECTORY optimization preference, the following command will still take a
long time:

1> COPY DF0:C RAM:C

It will be quite obvious that there is no speed improvment as far as this
command is concerned.  However, try optimizing the same disk with
DiskqOpti, (Claude Abraham).  The directories and Icons will not be as fast
as on a disk optimized with B.A.D.  HOWEVER, if you try

1> COPY DF0:C RAM:C

You will see a significant improvement, and it will take much less time to
copy the directory.  The drive makes all most no seek noises while copying
directory.

Those are the differences that I noticed.
|Dennis Gorrie                                                          |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                                            |