[comp.sys.amiga] Beginner MIDI question

levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) (10/10/89)

I am a relatively new Amiga owner and have a perhaps naive question
about MIDI.  I would like to connect my vanilla 2000 (with 1 Meg and
two floppies) to a Technics PX-20 digital piano (PCM digitally sampled,
not synthesized).  The kind of things I want to do are record from the
keyboard, play back from disk through the piano, and do simple score
editing.  Nothing particularly sophisticated (I don't think we will be
heavily involved in composition for the time being).  I realize I need
a MIDI interface board and cables.  Is there any other hardware I
need?  Do I need driver software specific to the PX-20?  Is there any
useful PD software in this realm?  Thanks.
--

						Zolt

In article <853@lyra.stsci.edu> levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) writes:
> ... I realize I need a MIDI interface board and cables.
> Is there any other hardware I need?

Yes, you will need a MIDI "interface" designed for the 2000.

> Do I need driver software specific to the PX-20?

Probably not, since it sounds like the PX-20 isn't "programmable" like
some synths are.

> Is there any useful PD software in this realm?

Yes, the MIDI library that Bill Barton did is quite good. Using it and
an introductory text on MIDI fundamentals you should be well on your
way to being able to create a simple "midi recorder" and play back system

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."