[comp.sys.amiga] Neptune Pictures

pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (09/11/89)

Just got the Neptune pictures and noticed that the README file says that the
picutres are in "encapsulated postscript format".  Can this be sent to a post-
script printer ?  If so, how?  When I tried to send the stuff to the local
postscript printer (I'm on a sun attached to a LAN) it barfed and said something
about not being able to process a binary file.

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/13/89)

In article <23678@louie.udel.EDU> pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) writes:
>Just got the Neptune pictures and noticed that the README file says that the
>picutres are in "encapsulated postscript format".  Can this be sent to a post-
>script printer ?  If so, how?  When I tried to send the stuff to the local
>postscript printer (I'm on a sun attached to a LAN) it barfed and said something
>about not being able to process a binary file.

Actuallym the README file says:
"The images were digitized by a ProViz and saved on a UNIX AUF partition as
 Encapsulated Postscript.  The postscript text was deleted.  Only the image
 command data is in the file."

In otherwords, they used to be Postscript, but all the encapsulation has
been removed leaving only the raw binary data.

If you have the fbm library (fuzzy bit map) that showed up on
comp.sources.unix, you can try the following commands:

<file raw2fbm -w640 -h480 | fbps >file.ps	# for postscript
<file raw2fbm -w640 -h480 | fbext -W1152 -H900 -S >file.sun-8bitgray
<file raw2fbm -w640 -h480 | fbext -W1152 -H900 | fbhalf -S >file.sun-raster
<file raw2fbm -w640 -h480 | gray2clr -u | fbqant -c16 -I >file.iff-16color

I know the conversion to IFF and b&w sun-raster works, having used them.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

new@udel.EDU (09/23/89)

I understand that the Neptune pictures are too large to post.
Could somebody please convert the sounds that Voyager heard to
IFF-8SVX format and post these?  I'm sure that these would take
much less bandwidth, especially with modern compression techniques.
		     Thanks,
		     Darren

denbeste@bbn.com (Steven Den Beste) (09/23/89)

In article <24659@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>I understand that the Neptune pictures are too large to post.
>Could somebody please convert the sounds that Voyager heard to
>IFF-8SVX format and post these?  I'm sure that these would take
>much less bandwidth, especially with modern compression techniques.
>		     Thanks,
>		     Darren

Would someone also please post the schematics for Voyager's computer, and the
mechanical drawings for its chassis? Please also post an inexpensive source for
the plutonium used for its power supply.

poirier@dg-rtp.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (10/13/89)

In article <24659@louie.udel.EDU> new@udel.EDU (Darren New) writes:
>I understand that the Neptune pictures are too large to post.
>Could somebody please convert the sounds that Voyager heard to
>IFF-8SVX format and post these?  I'm sure that these would take
>much less bandwidth, especially with modern compression techniques.

Most "natural" sounds do not compress well using normal (LZW-type)
compression.  There are no "runs" of the same sample value, and the
values are pretty evenly distributed.  You *can* get somewhere by using
Fourier transforms, but (a) it's slow for a non-accelerated machine
to do these transforms and (b) some transform-compression techniques
result in a non-exact (though reasonably recognizeable) decompression.

The appropriateness of such a posting is problematical.  Say 20KHz
of 8-bit samples, negligible compression, that's about 3 seconds of
sound per canonical 60KB Usenet posting.  I would "just say no" IMHO.

	Curmudgeonly yours,
	Charles Poirier