[comp.sys.amiga] MACROM

WEVERHA@clemson.clemson.edu (10/04/89)

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 89 15:54 EDT
From: Chris Everhart (803) 656-8164        <WEVERHA@CLEMSON.CLEMSON.EDU>
Subject: MACROM
To: amiga-relay@LOUIE.UDEL.EDU

OK...this is strange.  I received MACROM.  Successfully decoded,
and managed to un-ARC the thing.  Then, I read the instructions,
copied the files to the backup of my AMAX disk, booted from the
AMAX disk, ran the MACROM -S filen  option, and it said the module
was installed, but when I ran AMAX and loaded the ROMS, nothing...
no requester...It just continued as usual.  Help!  What do I do
to make this thing work?

Chris
WEVERHA@CLEMSON.BITNET
WEVERHA@PRISM.CLEMSON.EDU
WEVERHA@GEMINI.CLEMSON.EDU

jrw@bpdsun1.uucp (Jon Wahlmann) (10/13/89)

Has anyone come across a program called MACROM that enables an AMax user
to copy the Macintosh ROM image to a disk file and then load the resulting
file instead of waiting for the ROM image to download through AMax.  The
computer store that I am affiliated with wants to put the ROM image on
hard drive so that the loading and transformation into AMax occurs in a
drastically sped up manner.

We have tried running MACROM with virtually every kind of configuration that
we could come up with at the store.  Basically, we tried it on a 2500 in both
680x0 modes.  Also, we tried it on a stock 500.  The very minimal docs suggest
that after running MACROM, run the AMax install program.  Then as soon as the
ROM image has downloaded, MACROM should take over control and come up with a
requestor of some sort.  But, for us, all we get is a continuation of the
normal AMax install process.  Has anyone had luck in getting MACROM to function
as expected?  We have the 128K ROMs in our AMax.  Thanks.

					Jon

Jonathan R. Wahlmann		Harris Corp - Broadcast Div - Quincy, IL
(W) (217) 222-8200, x3619	quintro!bpdsun1!jrw@lll-winken.llnl.gov
(H) (217) 224-6918	 	uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!jrw