[comp.sys.amiga] A real bug in WB's DISCARD.

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) (10/13/89)

Recently, there has been talk of a bug in WorkBench's "Discard" menu option,
and that has been soundly corrected.  However, there's another problem with
"Discard" that needs to be addressed.

Many times, I select a drawer to delete (the entire drawer, that is).
Sometimes it deletes the drawer and all of it's files and then everything is
okay, but sometimes it deletes all of the files and then the computer
GURUs out on me.  It has never happened on an empty drawer, so I now always
delete all items from a drawer first (via the CLI's Delete), but I was
wondering if this has been fixed in WB1.3.2, and if not, will it be fixed
in WB1.4?

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |
| \\\///         E-Mail to: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu         \\\/// |
|  \XX/                 and to: consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                 \XX/  |

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (10/13/89)

No apologies necessary on your part, but I didn't say that the workbench
discard problem was a bug.  I asked if it was a bug.  Everyone seemed to
think that it was a feature.  One person from CBM said that it had been
reported to him by others who did think it was a bug, however he handled
these implications advisedly by explaining that it was not a bug.  So there
was nothing to correct, really.  So I suppose you might say it was "soundly
explained" (which is just as I like it to be) rather than "soundly corrected."

However, concerning the problem you brought up, do you have any other
details?  As, for instance, what sort of files, to your notion, were in
directories that produced a Guru upon invocation of the Workbench Discard
Menu Item?  Was this for OFS or FFS?  Did the drawer in question contain
a mix of files with and without icons?  Did it contain executables?  Were
any of the executables running at the time they were deleted?  Were there
any other CLI locks on the drawer or on other drawers in the drawer being
discarded?  For that matter, did the drawer discarded contain other drawers?
Just wondering...
					Howard Hull
					hull@hao.ucar.edu

In article <4696@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.UCAR.EDU (Howard Hull) writes:
>[...]
>However, concerning the problem you brought up, do you have any other
>details?  As, for instance, what sort of files, to your notion, were in
>directories that produced a Guru upon invocation of the Workbench Discard
>Menu Item?  Was this for OFS or FFS?  Did the drawer in question contain
>a mix of files with and without icons?  Did it contain executables?  Were
>any of the executables running at the time they were deleted?  Were there
>any other CLI locks on the drawer or on other drawers in the drawer being
>discarded?  For that matter, did the drawer discarded contain other drawers?

The directories I was trying to delete contained a rather large mix of
things - executables, text, IFF pictures, some with and some without
icons.  I can guarantee, however, that none of the programs I was trying
to delete was running at the time (I was deleting them 'cause I didn't
want them).  Since I only have a single floppy   :-(   , I was assuredly
using OFS.  I'm not sure about "CLI Locks," I'm not even sure what they
are.  And the drawer may have contained other drawers, but I can't
remember, and it shouldn't matter anyway, right?

Has anybody else experienced this problem that can maybe narrow it down
for me?  I'm running a stock 500 with the A501 and 1084 monitor, plus the
AmigaModem.  (Pretty basic - I'm short on cash!)  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

+-------///---------------------------------------------------------\\\-------+
|      ///                       Brett Kessler                       \\\      |
|     ///                        =============                        \\\     |

daveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Berezowski) (10/13/89)

In article <2510@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Optimist Prime) writes:
>Recently, there has been talk of a bug in WorkBench's "Discard" menu option,
>and that has been soundly corrected.  However, there's another problem with
>"Discard" that needs to be addressed.
>
>Many times, I select a drawer to delete (the entire drawer, that is).
>Sometimes it deletes the drawer and all of it's files and then everything is
>okay, but sometimes it deletes all of the files and then the computer
>GURUs out on me.  It has never happened on an empty drawer, so I now always
>delete all items from a drawer first (via the CLI's Delete), but I was
>wondering if this has been fixed in WB1.3.2, and if not, will it be fixed
>in WB1.4?

	No, its not fixed in V1.3.2

	I'll take a look at it for V1.4.

	daveb