[comp.sys.amiga] Need multiple RAD:'s

mark@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Spankus) (10/10/89)

Greets!
	I finally purchased a hard disk and extra memory for my Amiga, bringing
the ram total to 3 Megs.  I set up a RAD: device to floppy sizes, which allowed
me to copy a somewhat protected floppy to it. It all works okay, but the
problem is that there are two disks to the program. I can copy either one to
RAD:, but I still have to use one floppy to run the program. I want to set up a
second RAD: device to hold the data from the second disk, to avoid using any
floppies.

So here's what I did: Made two entries in my mountlist using the
ramdrive.device based on RAD:. One called RF0: (ram floppy 0) and the other
called RF1:. I changed the mountlist entry of the second to use UNIT 1.
That didn't work.  Next I tried changing the cylinders from 0,79 to 80,159,
figuring that it would allocate a huge chunk o' memory, but it still shows the
data from the first ram device in the second ram device...

Is it possible to have two ram drive entries that look like floppies?
Should I give up & make some floppy sized partitions on my hard disk?
Anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance!
	-Mark

 Mark Spankus                       University of Wisconsin - Madison
 path: ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!mark
 arpa:	mark@shorty.cs.wisc.edu

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (10/10/89)

I was first going to send mail, but I know this is a common question.  My wish
list for 1.4 would allow RAD: devices to use unit number so this kludge is
unneccessary.

In article <8788@spool.cs.wisc.edu> mark@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mark Spankus) writes:
>So here's what I did: Made two entries in my mountlist using the
>ramdrive.device based on RAD:. One called RF0: (ram floppy 0) and the other
>called RF1:  [...]
>
>Is it possible to have two ram drive entries that look like floppies?
>Should I give up & make some floppy sized partitions on my hard disk?
>Anybody have any advice?
>
> Mark Spankus                       University of Wisconsin - Madison

It is possible to make two RAD: devices, but not the way you attempted it.

First make a copy of ramdrive.device in your devs: directory to
ramdriv1.device.  Also copy the RemRAD program in your c: directory to RemRF1.
Since you used RF0: for your first floppy, you may want to rename the original
RemRAD to RemRF0 for consistancy.

Second, get a copy of NewZAP or some other binary file editor.  Yes, this is
the hard part, but any well respecting Amiga Hacker should have this program.
Use NewZAP to edit devs:ramdriv1.device and c:RemRF1.  In each program, replace
all occurances of ramdrive with ramdriv1 and all occurances of RAMB0 with
RAMB1.  (Program is ShareWare by someone I think is on this net.)

Third, edit your MountList.  Both RAD: type device entries must be identical
to a floppy description for DiskCopy to work on them.  The RF0: entry should
use DEVICE = ramdrive.device, the other use DEVICE = ramdriv1.device.  Also
make sure the entries contain 'MOUNT = 1' so Workbench recognizes them when
they are first mounted and not at first usage.  I would add 'BOOTPRI = -128'
so the OS doesn't attempt to reboot on your RAD: devices.  I don't know what
would happen if both RAD: devices were bootable and you did a reboot as this
is probably an unexpected situation for the OS to encounter.

This procedure may be extended to any number of RAD: type devices.  Make sure
double check the MountList entries with your 1.3 enhancer manual for accuracy
for my memory is not always perfect.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (10/13/89)

In article <3949@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>Second, get a copy of NewZAP or some other binary file editor.  Yes, this is
>the hard part, but any well respecting Amiga Hacker should have this program.
>Use NewZAP to edit devs:ramdriv1.device and c:RemRF1.  In each program, replace
>all occurances of ramdrive with ramdriv1 and all occurances of RAMB0 with
>RAMB1.  (Program is ShareWare by someone I think is on this net.)

Okay.  Who's gonna either get a copy of NewZap posted to alt.sources.amiga
(or if Bob Page is still alive, get him to stick it in the moderated groups)?
And if the answer is "no one", then how about sending me a copy?

I tried to do this a month ago -- that is, tried 2 RAD disks.  Wasn't
surprised when it didn't work.  So then I tried vd0:, which worked for
a brief period, then stopped working for some reason -- after the next
cold boot, I believe.  Odd, eh?

So -- let's get NewZAP posted or otherwise generally available... -Joe
--
Life is a cabaret (old chum).
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe   (Picts 1-13 are   DHDSC - Joe Larson/MIS 1060